Decent computer speakers for a very low price
Apr 28, 2015 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

User4567

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for decent computer speakers (a 2.1 set) under 100 euro. Do you know which speakers are the best? My listening preferences are: House, pop, rock, drum and bass and more. I wouldn't like too much bass, just a little bit of bass is enough. If possible I also want them to sound decent for games and video's.

I'm not an audiophile and I don't know a lot about audio either but I need advice on which speakers to buy and I thought this forum would be the best place to ask.

I've found: Logitech Z523, Trust Tytan 2.1, Creative Inspire T3300.

I currently use the Philips Shl3300 headphones for listening to music, because I don't have any decent sounding speakers.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 35
  Hopefully you'll get some helpful replies.  However, a headphone site is far from the best place to ask for a recommendation for computer speakers.

FYI this is a sub-section on this forum dedicated to computer audio.

I cannot create a new thread there. There's no option for it and it said above the page I have to ask questions here.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 35
Edifier is a brand that I see popular in the EU. Might check and see they are available.

Truthfully, any computer desktop speaker for under 100 euro is going to be a compromise in SQ in some way. Best thing to do is try to find some you can listen to and choose the one that sounds best to you :)

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 35

Hopefully you'll get some helpful replies.  However, a headphone site is far from the best place to ask for a recommendation for computer speakers.

FYI this is a sub-section on this forum dedicated to computer audio.

I cannot create a new thread there. There's no option for it and it said above the page I have to ask questions here.

I understand, but you can still look there--as well as on sites (unlike this one) that feature the type of product that you are seeking.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 35
One other suggestion. Have you considered looking for used passive bookshelf speakers and then pairing them with a Lepai t-amp? That's typically far and above the best sound quality for your budget.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 35
One other suggestion. Have you considered looking for used passive bookshelf speakers and then pairing them with a Lepai t-amp? That's typically far and above the best sound quality for your budget.

You mean something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI
and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Craft-Speaker-Rev-B-Speakers/dp/B003OF111A

I don't know much about audio like I said before and I actually never used an amplifier, is it better than using a subwoofer? Why are bookshelf speakers + an amplifier better than a 2.1 or 2.0 set?

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 35
Check out AVforum website, people on that forum should be able tell you where to find good deals in Europe.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 35

Yes. That Lepai. :)

I don't know much about audio like I said before and I actually never used an amplifier, is it better than using a subwoofer? Why are bookshelf speakers + an amplifier better than a 2.1 or 2.0 set?

Good subs are great to have, if your speakers are good. I'd rather have no sub and good speakers than a cheap sub and speakers that aren't very good. That's my choice.

Check out AVforum website, people on that forum should be able tell you where to find good deals in Europe.

+1

People in the US (many of the members here) won't be able to help you with passive speaker purchases on a very limited budget because we don't know pricing and availablity there. AVForums is a UK based audio/video community.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 35
Look at Microlab Solo 6C - you won't get anything better for the money. If you HAVE to go below 100 EUR, then the most expensive 2.0 Edifiers you can get :). Cheapest decent would be Creative GigaWorks T20.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 35
  Look at Microlab Solo 6C - you won't get anything better for the money. If you HAVE to go below 100 EUR, then the most expensive 2.0 Edifiers you can get :). Cheapest decent would be Creative GigaWorks T20.

I can't afford the Microlab Solo 6C so I will probably get the Creative GigaWorks T20. Do you know which subwoofer is best?

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 35
  I'm looking for decent computer speakers (a 2.1 set) under 100 euro. Do you know which speakers are the best? My listening preferences are: House, pop, rock, drum and bass and more. I wouldn't like too much bass, just a little bit of bass is enough. If possible I also want them to sound decent for games and video's.

I'm not an audiophile and I don't know a lot about audio either but I need advice on which speakers to buy and I thought this forum would be the best place to ask.

I've found: Logitech Z523, Trust Tytan 2.1, Creative Inspire T3300.

I currently use the Philips Shl3300 headphones for listening to music, because I don't have any decent sounding speakers.

The very best you can do is to get second hand bookshelf speakers with an amp that can power them. My favourite brand for second hand bookshelves is Wharfedale, but Tannoy, KEF, DAli, B&W are also very good brands. I got my Wharfedale Diamond IV for €30 and they sound much better than any computer speakers I've heard below €150.

For this money, skip on subwoofer. Stick to a good 2.0.

I agree. 

To add to my previous comment; this amp looks good enough for the more power hungry bookshelves:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PFA300-90-Watt-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B0071HZ5LE/ref=pd_sbs_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DWBMQ14JVAAATWHH1C2

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 35
  The very best you can do is to get second hand bookshelf speakers with an amp that can power them. My favourite brand for second hand bookshelves is Wharfedale, but Tannoy, KEF, DAli, B&W are also very good brands. I got my Wharfedale Diamond IV for €30 and they sound much better than any computer speakers I've heard below €150.

I agree. 

To add to my previous comment; this amp looks good enough for the more power hungry bookshelves:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PFA300-90-Watt-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B0071HZ5LE/ref=pd_sbs_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DWBMQ14JVAAATWHH1C2

Why would bookshelf speakers be better than the Creative Gigaworks T20 II?

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 35
Why would bookshelf speakers be better than the Creative Gigaworks T20 II?

I won't say they are better for anyone anywhere, but the sound will undoubtedly be much better. The drawback of bookshelves is that they are larger and (usually) need a separate amplifier. Many people like small speakers simply because they don't use too much space.

Let me explain why the sound couldn't possibly match bookshelf speakers: The Creative Gigaworks T20 II have very small dimensions (88.0 x 143.0 x 230.0 mm) compared to for example Wharfedale Diamond IV (176 x 186 x 266 mm) which are already quite small for bookshelves. Sound is created by making air vibrate. The smaller the box, the less space there is for a speaker to 'breathe'. Add to that the fact that the the drivers have less than half of the surface of bookshelf speaker drivers and you'll come to the conclusion that these computer speakers don't have the physical capabilities to perform as good as the Wharfedale speakers.

There is a way to compensate for the lack of surface: More power! If you put more energy into the drivers and the drivers are designed to vibrate with large amplitudes, you could get better sound, but the speakers that are powerful and small are very rare and very expensive. The Creative Gigaworks T20 II go up to 14W RMS power, while the Wharfedale Diamond IV go up to 100W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back