Decent but inexpensive cable recommendation?
Nov 17, 2005 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sunetos

New Head-Fier
Hey, can anybody give a quick recommendation on a choice of cables? I have an iAudio X5 as my primary source going to a Serpac META which connects through a Sennheiser 1/4">1/8" adaptor to my Grado HF-1's. However, I am using a relatively low-quality cable to connect my X5 to the META, and I am currently hearing near constant distortion (crackling) on certain types of songs; the most likely reason I can think of is the inferior-quality cable (I'm not using any software equalizers or anything, with only FLAC files). I would like a decent-quality all-around cable for this connection, but it doesn't need to be a perfect match-made-in-heaven mother-of-all-cables. I just want a reliable quality cable without hurting my wallet too much. I'd like to spend somewhere between $15 and $40, but I could hit $50 or so if absolutely necessary. I'm also willing to try building my own cable from one of the many do-it-yourself cable threads floating around, but a quick recommendation on a cable would help alot. The cable would need to be pretty portable (I use my own hand-made hemp belt-strap cases for my amp and x5 to listen via my portable EM9's in public places all the time, and a huge thick cable just wouldn't work), and it doesn't need to be very long. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 13
Check here: Audio Advisor

These may work fine. According to the cables you have, the Ratshack gold may not be a bad upgrade either. Its definitely better than no name $3.00 cables.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm currently using the Ratshack gold, actually. Funny you should bring it up. Thanks for the link; I'll check into that list.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 13
I apologize; I should have included the actual type of cable I need haha. I need a Mini to Mini (1/8") cable, and I didn't see any of that type on that site.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 13
Your Rat Shack gold is probably fine. Basically it is a decent, but inexpensive cable. I would bet that it is not the cable that is causing distortion or crackling. It may be that your songs are clipping. Is it consistant on the same part of the song? You can also check out the Carda mini to mini at Headroom for $20.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 13
No, you don't understand. You don't need to give another cable a try. What's causing the distortion you here is definitely not the cable. We meat01 said, your songs are probably clipping. I would tell you to try using mp3Gain for the problem songs and see if it helps, but I just noticed your music is encoded in FLAC, so I don't think mp3Gain will work, though I'm not positive. But I don't think you need to upgrade your cable.

Nov 17, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 13
The thing is, I know the source hardware is good: X5. I know the files themselves are good: Uberstandard (www.ubernet.org) FLAC files that I also play on my computer all the time without a problem. I know the adapter is good: Sennheiser 1/4">1/8" adapter recommended by other HF-1 users. I know the phones are good: Grado HF-1 #42's listened to by a respected Head-Fier (who I bought them from). Now, I don't hear the distortion on my computer, or on the same portable setup using the EM9r's instead of the Grado's, but I just assume the Grado's are bringing out out that much more detail than the EM9's so I can actually hear the distortion. The only component I am unsure about is the Radio Shack Gold cable. I'm not using any "MPenhance" or any other software equalizer on the X5. And, either way, I'd really like a higher quality cable just for the personal enjoyment of it. If I get another cable and, as you say, that wasn't the problem, what can I possibly do to my X5 to resolve the clipping?

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for the tip! Ironically, another Head-Fier just offered to sell me that exact same cable. I think I'll go ahead and spend alittle extra $$ and get a good cable like the RnB.

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 13
Well, I got the SkyBlue and I'm loving it of course (notably clearer vocals than the Ratshack), but as you all expected, it didn't fix the problem. I guess I will go back and re-rip the approximately 50 problem CD's with a different computer/drive; definitely not high on my list of fun-things-to-do. I will probably first upgrade the firmware on my x5l. If it turns out to be a problem with the x5 and FLACs, I'll make sure to let people know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back