decent alternatives to the new 160gb ipod classic
Sep 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Emkayu

Head-Fier
The ipod classic has just been amped to 160gb which put's it straight into my sights, as i have a collection of movies that i ripped and converted into ipod format(which i'm okay with viewing on the tiny ipod screen) but it still takes up almost 100gb, on a 120gb ipod classic, leaving no space for my 30 gb or so of music. However, the new one has enough space and comes in just under 200 pounds at 189.99 (apple online store uk). I was thinking is there anything of that capacity that i should consider before being a slave to imo a company who does very little for those who want to enjoy good sound quality rather than record tiddlebits on a gimmicky camera or so, don't get me wrong, i completely understand why people would buy them but the ipod touch, nano and shuffle for me would be a complete waste of money, so any alternatives to a 160gb ipod classic under 200 pounds?

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 20
already have one, no what i want is a portable media player that i can fit in my pocket and listen to all my music, the video really isn't much of a problem but space and sound quality for me are the top two prioties

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 20
ipod video 60GB with rockbox. Don't know if you can put Rockbox in the 80GB one.

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 20
i was looking for something that's new and has a manufacturer's warranty? i've had apple products before and i really like their genius bar system in store, but i dont mind anything else, an ipod video 60gb sounds interesting but have had bad experience with rockbox and not so found of the interface, not even the custom themes

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 20
oh and i can't install rockbox from my mac
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 20
pffff do you have a friend with a windows machine? bootcamp? vmware? that's not a real problem mate.
oh and about the warranty... come on, you can buy 2 60GB ipods for the price of a new 160GB.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it only the 5.5G iPods that are highly regarded for SQ or does the same go for 5G as well? (Using Apple firmware)

I believe that 5.5 G means the upgrade to 80 GB from 60 GB so basically the same otherwise. Both sound great from line out.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh line out...hmm...I'm won't be using an amp though. Which iPod is best regarded for SQ from headphone out?? (Not including the touch or nano)

I'm not the person who is qualified to answer that. I'm not a long time iPod user. I started with a 5.5G(80GB) and now use a 6G(120GB). I've read that some people claim a big difference between the 2 but I didn't hear it, line out or HP out. I'm not saying that there is no difference but it was small to me. The larger capacity (120GB vs. 80GB) was a much more important factor for me. Now I need 160 GB.

I would like to point out that a HP that can be properly driven from the iPod HP out will not likely be high enough quality to allow critical comparison between the 2 DACs used. A high quality IEM will allow a much better comparison IMO.

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 20
Yes, I would be using a UE triple.fi so should be able to tell differences I hope.

I've recently re-ripped my CD's to ALAC (sounds better to me but could just be palcebo). That's why I'm considering an iPod with more storage, but a 30gb or 80gb model would do the trick.

I've tried out some portable amps, LOD's etc in the past but have ended up simplifying my rig down to just the iPod and triple.fi's. Hence I'm comparing only headphone outs.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 20
I agree, the TF10s dont need much amping to sound great. I run mine right off my iPhone 3G+ and iPhone Touch 2G, both sound very very good. Both those devices have very good integrated amps and dacs, so as long as you are running headphones that dont need some serious juice, the sound right out of the jack will be quite good. People tend to agree that those two devices (which share the same audio components) do sound better than the other iPods. I am one of these people, being an owner of many iPods, iPhones, and other media players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back