Debating between 4 good headphones
post-7710694
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 8

TheAnteatr

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Posts
2
Likes
0
So long story short I got a free pair of Beats Solo HD (bleh) and am returning them to a Wal-Mart for store credit. I plan on using the money to buy a good pair, but obviouly has to be on Wal-Mart's website. I'm debating between these four:
Sennheiser HD 448
Sony MDRV900HD
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 (Currently what I'm thinking about the most. I've heard they are like a m50 in tone but a touch warmer, but with significantly more bass)
Audio Technica ATH-A700
 
I'm not going to claim to be extremely knowledgeable. I have read up on them, looked at reviews, ect. I'm wanting to ask some more experienced audiophiles their opinion because this will be my pair of headphones for quite some time.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7710748
Post #2 of 8

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,000
Reaction score
717
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,000
Likes
717
Heya,
 
Don't bother with the HD448. Build quality is bad. They're flimsy. No isolation from clamp (no clamp).
A700's are ok. Light. Bass is not that pronounced. Overall ok headphone though.
M50 is pretty flat, good bass response, small sound stage, portable.
PRO700MK2 are bassy bassy.
 
I'd get the M50's if you want to cover all genres, and don't mind a clamping headphone with no sound stage.
I'd get the PRO700MK2 if you want serious bass.
I'd get the A700 if you just like to listen to classical, acoustic, indie, vocals, etc. Most comfortable.
 
Very best,
 
     Share This Post       
post-7710763
Post #3 of 8

TheAnteatr

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Posts
2
Likes
0
I really wanted to get a pair of ATH-M50's but sadly Wal-Mart doesn't sell them on their website that I can find (have m30's and m40's though). Since I have to return the Beats there I have no choice but to go with what Wal-Mart has.
 
I probably should have mentioned that I listen to mostly rock and metal. So really a bit of bass would be alright as long as it isn't so overpowering to drown out the treble or vocals.
For an example could anybody tell me how much bass they have compared to the Solo HD's? Horrible comparison I know but they do have very forward bass, though it's muddy.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7710779
Post #4 of 8

extrabigmehdi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
2,693
Reaction score
77
Joined
May 27, 2009
Posts
2,693
Likes
77
Get the ath-ad700 not the ath-a700; the first is more popular/recommended (open vs closed).
Otherwise the PRO700MK2 are heavily colored , so everything will sound bassy on them.
I  love that they have a detachable cable.
Nice review here: http://headfonics.com/2011/06/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-one-word-bass/
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7710824
Post #5 of 8

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,000
Reaction score
717
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,000
Likes
717


Quote:
Get the ath-ad700 not the ath-a700; the first is more popular/recommended (open vs closed).
Otherwise the PRO700MK2 are heavily colored , so everything will sound bassy on them.
I  love that they have a detachable cable.
Nice review here: http://headfonics.com/2011/06/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-one-word-bass/
 

Heya,
 
And what advantage does the AD700 have over the A700? Just because it's popular doesn't mean it should be purchased over something else. Open and closed are not the only differences. The AD700 has significantly less bass, and is widely regarded as being not that great for rock/metal. It has no kick. It's an anemic headphone. The A700 has more bass response as a closed headphone. Based on his genre choice, there's no reason to suggest the AD700 over the A700 unless he strictly wants an open headphone with very little bass. The AD700 is so widely over rated.
 
Quote:
For an example could anybody tell me how much bass they have compared to the Solo HD's? Horrible comparison I know but they do have very forward bass, though it's muddy.
 
The bass is pretty strong, some find it overwhelming. I think if you want a lot of mids, you should look at another headphone. But, otherwise, it's going to be great for something like metal. May not be perfect for rock. We have a lot of reviews of the PRO700MK2 here on HeadFi with comparisons to other headphones. Search them up.
 
Also, a suggestion, if it's store credit, maybe offer it to someone you know for real-world cash who wants to already shop at Walmart? Then you could use the money to get headphones any where and widen your selection.
 
Very best,
 
     Share This Post       
post-7710888
Post #6 of 8

extrabigmehdi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
2,693
Reaction score
77
Joined
May 27, 2009
Posts
2,693
Likes
77


Quote:
 
And what advantage does the AD700 have over the A700? Just because it's popular doesn't mean it should be purchased over something else. [...]The AD700 is so widely over rated.

Well at the headphonic australian website you see that the seller is recommending the AD700  but not A700.  Also at headroom , they are more recommending the AD700. 
On a discussion , someone said that the A700  get some attention only because of it's brother the AD700. It's clear that open has less bass, which is usually the case.  But ok, if you are saying that they are overrated, I  would have got them judging by their popularity.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7710952
Post #7 of 8

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,000
Reaction score
717
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,000
Likes
717


Quote:
Well at the headphonic australian website you see that the seller is recommending the AD700  but not A700.  Also at headroom , they are more recommending the AD700. 
On a discussion , someone said that the A700  get some attention only because of it's brother the AD700. It's clear that open has less bass, which is usually the case.  But ok, if you are saying that they are overrated, I  would have got them judging by their popularity.

Heya,
 
Precisely. That's the thing with this topic, headphones sound different to different people. And when people are recommending things they have never even heard, it becomes a he-said-she-said scheme. Then someone hears them and asks "Uh, why did I buy this?" and return it and come right back saying "I had X, looking for Y". Nothing really wrong with it, but, unfortunately a lot of over rated headphones are literally spammed around these threads regardless of what the person looking for a headphone is looking for by people who have never even heard the headphone(s) in question. Nothing wrong with suggesting a headphone that one has not heard. But doing so with authority is another thing.
 
By the way, skull candies & beats are more popular than any of these headphones you see talked about on this website combined.
 
But I'm clearly just being picky about the subject, not meaning any aggression or anything towards you or anyone, so please take the above as an informative thing, not an attack.
 
Very best,
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7711061
Post #8 of 8

extrabigmehdi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
2,693
Reaction score
77
Joined
May 27, 2009
Posts
2,693
Likes
77


Quote:
unfortunately a lot of over rated headphones are literally spammed around these threads regardless of what the person looking for a headphone is looking for

You are right, I  got my hd595 because everyone were repeating  everywhere that they are great "all round" music;  but since I  got them I  disagree.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top