Death of a Format: The end of cassettes
Nov 8, 2002 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Audio Redneck

Spaceman Spiff
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Oct28.html

We all know its comming (or came), so now we say:

"So long cassettes. You've been a good friend, but your time has come and passed."

<sniff>
frown.gif

[size=medium]BANG[/size]
eek.gif

So, do you still use tape?

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 42
i like the option of taping vinyl for that full analog sound. i still use metal tape and my dd9 walkman for this--it is nice to have the option.

Nov 9, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 42
I have music on cassette that is no longer avaliable in any format, so I will be using it a bit longer.

Nov 9, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 42
Other than recording some Spanish classes for future review I held the funeral years and years ago!!

Lord Bless

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 42
I put that I still have a deck, even though its actually one of those little recorders that people use to record lectures and the such... Ah well, I haven't seriously listened to a casset in years.

Nov 9, 2002 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 42
Nov 9, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 42
Making up URLs...
rolleyes.gif
Almost got me there
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 9, 2002 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 42
Anyone with cassettes that they can't replace should think about converting to a digital format like CD as soon as possible - the thing I always hated about tape (VHS or cassette) is that it deteriorates. All that brown gunk you clean off the tape head and roller is your music, gone forever. In ten or twenty years it will just be a hint of the music you love.

Nov 9, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 42
I rarely if ever listen to tapes anymore but for some reason I cannot get rid of them either. Still have a decent player and probably several hundred cassettes.

Nov 9, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Anyone with cassettes that they can't replace should think about converting to a digital format like CD as soon as possible - the thing I always hated about tape (VHS or cassette) is that it deteriorates. .....

Agreed, and I am starting to do just that. I have some live & one of a kind recordings that I am wanting to hang on to for the long term, including a tape of a song my wife wrote for us before we got married and about 45min of improv stuff a friend did that is best catagorized at "space" music.

And FWIW I still have decks in both of my cars.

Nov 10, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 42
Despite already owning a perfectly good Teac deck I never use, I bought a nice 15 year old high end Nak deck only a month ago because the price was so good. I know it will be collecting dust soon, but I've been enjoying taping some FM broadcasts and CD's on it. I forgot how much fun it was fiddling with controls and setting bias etc. to get the best recording possible. And the sound quality is remarkable. Heck, it might encourage me to start messing around with vinyl again.

Nov 10, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 42
I dumped tapes a few years back when my $150 japanese walkman started dying. I tossed all my cassettes away but still have a Sony dual deck sitting with the rest of the rack system, which hasn't been turned on in years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back