Dear Head-Fi Help me Kill my Wallet
Oct 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Retrias

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear head fi , I am pretty new here , just getting into the better part of the audio world , so far I have a beyer dt 1350, and a fiio e 17, so now I want something to use at home, something that maximize on comfort, you know like a full size headphone, so I am looking for the headphone that is  fitting to this criteria
1. Closed or Open are both fine , I will be using this mostly at home and its generally quiet where I live, so probably open?
2. have to sound better than beyer dt1350 , make sense i think ? I mean its larger and I would be using it at home only
3. Can be powered by fiio e 17 (i am not ready to invest in one of those super power DAC and amp)
4.I listen to mostly jpop, jrock, rock, something around that line so I would want something that would fit that kind of music and not something for classics or jazz
5. Comfort is key I want something that is extremely comfortable to wear , probably not leather pads since they make me sweat some bit
6. Budget is around 400 ish? 450 is pushing for it?

I am looking around at Senn 598 , or maybe foray to the 600 , and I don't know what else is there? Can you guys pick for me? probably not something from beyer since I want to try other manufacturer, so help me pls?

thanks headfi

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
Care to explain how those differs from each other ? besides their look? I mean I literally only seen some pictures of them and know next to nothing about it

Extensive reviews are here at Head-Fi. Not to be rude, but I would suggest you search them to get several in depth looks from various people so you can form your own idea.

I suggested them based on sound stage, ability with vocals, ability with low end frequencies, and being able to be sufficiently driven from your E17.

However, in a nut shell:

HD600 - Neutral, great sound stage, natural sound, staple all `rounder.
A900X - On the bassy side, with very good vocals and mids, very exciting, not analytical, warm with a sparkle.
DT880 - Neutral, a little analytical, great sound stage, great all `rounder.
HE-400 - Dark warm planar magnetic, so treble is rolled off, it's not bright, mids are excellent, great for vocals and instruments, a little on the bassy side, can be exciting, pretty dark and warm.
D2K/5K - Super comfortable, amazing sub-bass, great for vocals and instruments, sparkly treble, staple all `rounders.
Q701 - Dry warmish, with a large sound stage, great separation, pretty neutral but with a hint of warmth, not overly analytical but not lush either.
MA900 - Huge sound stage, warmer than neutral, excellent mids and not overly bright or dark.

Very best,

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
if you have $400 budget why you dont use $200 on headphone and $200 on amp

Because not all headphones need an amp at all; and many do not need a $200 amplifier even if they do need an amp. He already has an E17. He's good to go for virtually all headphones under 300ohms with a few exceptions.

Very best,

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Extensive reviews are here at Head-Fi. Not to be rude, but I would suggest you search them to get several in depth looks from various people so you can form your own idea.

I suggested them based on sound stage, ability with vocals, ability with low end frequencies, and being able to be sufficiently driven from your E17.

However, in a nut shell:

HD600 - Neutral, great sound stage, natural sound, staple all `rounder.
A900X - On the bassy side, with very good vocals and mids, very exciting, not analytical, warm with a sparkle.
DT880 - Neutral, a little analytical, great sound stage, great all `rounder.
HE-400 - Dark warm planar magnetic, so treble is rolled off, it's not bright, mids are excellent, great for vocals and instruments, a little on the bassy side, can be exciting, pretty dark and warm.
D2K/5K - Super comfortable, amazing sub-bass, great for vocals and instruments, sparkly treble, staple all `rounders.
Q701 - Dry warmish, with a large sound stage, great separation, pretty neutral but with a hint of warmth, not overly analytical but not lush either.
MA900 - Huge sound stage, warmer than neutral, excellent mids and not overly bright or dark.

Very best,

AFAIK more recent HE400s have treble tuned up much more, it is now very extended (maybe a bit overly so, some tizziness issues); definitely a bit more balanced then older HE400s but at the same time it's not quite the same signature they are known for.

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:
I think the HE-400 would work very well for you. get the velour pads and a senn. headband to mod onto the he400 for comfort and you should be good to go. 

How hard is it to do this mod? I don't think I can do much since I don't have much of a tool in here

Hmm I can't seem to find the denon 5000 for my budget (they are 800 on the shop I usually go too, can't find them in stock elsewhere either), I will try to have a look at the Audio Technica , whats is the difference between the 2k and 5k?

what do you guys think from the
Denons 2k/5k
A900x (is there any difference between the one that have "x" or without "x"?)
HE-400
HD 600

as for the budget question
that is because i don't think, I need another amp yet , especially not a desktop one , since I am currently studying abroad, it would create problem when I want to go back

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 23
Denon AH-D2000 and AH-D5000 are discontinued - hence why you can't find them anywhere at realistic prices (MSRP on the D5000 was $699 and street was usually closer to $500, for reference; $800 is pathetic).

There is a difference between Audio-Technica ATH-A900 and A900X, but I've only heard A900X (A900 is discontinued though). They aren't bad, but I'm not in love with them - for the ~$220 they go for in the US I'd say they're fair overall, and would be a nice reprieve from some overly analytical, treble-boosted "audiophile" can. The HD 600 would be superior though. No idea on the HE-400.

So of the list you have, the Denon are implausible, I don't know about the HE-400, and I'd take the HD 600 over the Denon or A900X any day. If you need them to be closed though, the AT aren't a bad choice at all. I like the Senn more because of their relaxed, dark-ish, natural sound - they aren't perfect, but they do a lot right and not a lot wrong. I'd also steer you towards at least considering Ultrasone or Grado, if you can do an open headphone.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 23
Oh , So thats why I can't find that specific model number everywhere, I don't mind open backed headphone at all , especially  for this one , since I would only be using it at my private place
Aren't the grados on ear from what I read in some reviews and not the over ear full size version? Which of the ultrasone would you recommend. I would like this one to be a full size earphone though since I am guessing that would maximize comfort

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 23
Oh , So thats why I can't find that specific model number everywhere, I don't mind open backed headphone at all , especially  for this one , since I would only be using it at my private place
Aren't the grados on ear from what I read in some reviews and not the over ear full size version? Which of the ultrasone would you recommend. I would like this one to be a full size earphone though since I am guessing that would maximize comfort

Grados (except the 1000s, which are way out of your proposed budget) are on-ear, yes. They're fairly comfy imho though - on-ear isn't always a bad thing.

Ultrasone-wise, the HFI-2400 would be where I'd point you. Around-ear, velour pads, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back