Dead swan with bird flu one mile away from me.....
Apr 6, 2006 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
This is ridiculous! A dead swan found, media EVERYWHERE, police blocking the roads (stopping poultry coming into the vicinity) it's going like a carnival and is UK headline news.. jesus christ, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...LU-BRITAIN.xml

Good god one news article says "scotland's capital on ALERT after dead swan found" what a load of unnecessary commotion!

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 40
imagine walking on the street and suddenly a bird came falling down the sky and *smack*
eek.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 40
Check your local paper to see if any Russians were selling Swans recently
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 40
whatever you do... DON'T EAT IT.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 40
As long as the virus doesn't mutate we humans should be fine... I *hope*

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 40
Maybe they'll take this oppertunity to nuke Cellerdyke into beaded glass, I for one think that we would be better off without it.

Then they can move on to Methil.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Maybe they'll take this oppertunity to nuke Cellerdyke into beaded glass, I for one think that we would be better off without it.

Then they can move on to Methil.

Excuse me! The fall out from said "Nuke" would coat my house here in Crail, can you wait till I move and then Nuke the place? Thanks
tongue.gif
By the way, I wouldn't put Cellardyke in the same sentence as "Methil", they are two different kettles of fish..... methil is a craphole whereas Cellardyke is very nice but populated by inbred coneheads.. is there anyway you can take out the locals but leave Cellardyke? Oh, of course there is....... swan flu
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood

Even if it does mutate it's possible it may not become the horrible, resistant strain that people are predicting will become a pandemic.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 40
True, hopefully it'll turn out to be nothing more than the Y2K of real-life viruses.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 40
Can't say I'm scared about bird flu just yet.... I'm still waiting for SARS to kill me.... been a couple of years now...

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 40
It sure was nice having you around while you lasted, Pink Floyd. Web will miss you.
tongue.gif
eek.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 40
I read in today's paper that they're now concerned that bird flu may at some point be transferred to humans by dogs and cats. Apparently, although it doesn't affect them, they can carry the virus .

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 40
Well, if it doesn't affect pets, maybe there is hope for an easy vaccination or maybe even a cure?

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

close contact with infected fowl is already killing humans in parts of Asia so it is only the human to human transmission that has not occurred yet though many feel inevitable as the human/disease interaction remains high and how "resistant" or mtated strains occur in nature.

when that happens we are in serious doo doo and no innoculation will protect you from the first wave of an as yet not mutated disease and why "pandemic" could be a reality,not to mention the health risk of all those dead humans laying around in third world countries without modern medial facilities or the means to deal with dead bodies everywhere

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 40
Well, this swan has been confirmed to have the virus and police are stopping traffic on the country roads asking people if they have chickens (or other poultry) in their vehicles. I was stopped on my way out this morning and stopped twice on the way back, I must say I wasn't polite and told them "of course I'm not carrying *****in chickens in my car" I mean, really, talk about over reacting! The BBC and media are all over the place, there was even a news helicopter hovering about and all this because of a dead swan at a harbour.

Of course there was a stream of rubberneckers ( a convoy no less) making their way to the harbour all day and, apparantly, it was like a carnival atmosphere with ice cream and fish and chip sales reaching an all time high. I absolutely detest this type of frenzied over reaction and I wish all these daft twits would bugger off out of the area.... the police will be stopping motorists for some time I'd imagine searching their cars for live poultry, oh well it will keep them off my back
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back