Dead Susvara mystery
Jun 28, 2022 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

scootermafia

MOT: Double Helix Cables
Well, my Susvara was connected to Ragnarok2 for the night, music paused, amp on (not doing that again, just for peace of mind). The system has a PS audio power plant P3 for clean power (we hope) and protected by a rackmount Cyberpower UPS. Dac is Holo May. Susvara fine in the night. Only other condition is a tower fan blowing very gentle air through the rack, as there's some warm network equipment in it.

The next morning, the Susvara isn't making sound. Both drivers have no continuity/resistance (trace must be internally broken somewhere). I shine a light on the drivers and they look OK. Ragnarok2 appears to be operating fine, May DAC fine, PS audio power plant fine. PS audio power plant has 9 years of reliable service; May DAC 6 months reliable service; Ragnarok2 6 months reliable service.

I test the Ragnarok2 for DC offset on the 4 pin XLR out, I'm not getting any. It would have to have somehow blasted both drivers with bad stuff in one night. I run logging on my fluke 289 multimeter for 30 minutes, nothing outside the normal (0.0008V dc average with minimal deviation).

Plan is RMA ragnarok, RMA susvara, and just for peace of mind decommission the PS audio power plant and replace with a simple Furman rackmount pro grade power conditioner.

Disclaimer: Rag2 and Susvara are two of my favorite products, and both companies have been extremely helpful in offering to fix things, but it's unclear what is at fault, hopefully we figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_5843.JPG
    IMG_5843.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 11
So a lot can go wrong when you have an extremely thin diaphragm with minor wrinkles in there.

I hope your cans are within warranty period because the last I heard HFM wants $2k for driver replacement.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 11
Sorry to hear, Peter. It does sound like something was blasted overnight and under the conditions shared, it seems a exterior fault as you're sure Ragnarok was muted, right.
You never shared the morning conditions as any power fault would be detected presumably and a surge likely triggers Ragnarok to shut down.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 11
So a lot can go wrong when you have an extremely thin diaphragm with minor wrinkles in there.

I hope your cans are within warranty period because the last I heard HFM wants $2k for driver replacement.
Yep they're less than a year old. I don't get how loud music doesn't BBQ them but paused headphone amp did.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 11
Sorry to hear, Peter. It does sound like something was blasted overnight and under the conditions shared, it seems a exterior fault as you're sure Ragnarok was muted, right.
You never shared the morning conditions as any power fault would be detected presumably and a surge likely triggers Ragnarok to shut down.
Definitely no music overnight, Roon was paused; everything else, other headphones were working normally and nothing looked amiss, but the Susvara that were plugged in were totally dead. I switched to another headphone and they were playing music so that's when I knew.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 11
Definitely no music overnight, Roon was paused; everything else, other headphones were working normally and nothing looked amiss, but the Susvara that were plugged in were totally dead. I switched to another headphone and they were playing music so that's when I knew.
I can only share I had a Code-X (HE-5) with a faulty trace where the left channel would consistently cut out after a few seconds -- the nature of the fragility of HiFiMan drivers and I surmise your probable cause as well.

Jun 28, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 11
I can only share I had a Code-X (HE-5) with a faulty trace where the left channel would consistently cut out after a few seconds -- the nature of the fragility of HiFiMan drivers and I surmise your probable cause as well.
susvara is extra fragile due to the large diaphragm and super thin gold traces.

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 11
susvara is extra fragile due to the large diaphragm and super thin gold traces.
Apparently it gets destroyed by air conditioning and paused music

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Apparently it gets destroyed by air conditioning and paused music
Who knows, could be humidity, temperature, blowing air directly on diaphragm. 🤷‍♂️

Jun 28, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 11
I hope not life in general 😳…for $6000 USD…one should not 🤞

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 11
I mean Susvara is kind of on the edge of impossibility for traditional manufacturing process unless you spend tens of millions in space age tech using chemical vapor ultra thin gold deposit or whatever they use. If they have gold depositing tech they can use copper instead, which will make Susvara a more normal sensitivity headphone. I fully realize I may not know much about headphone manufacturing 😂

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back