Dead Sony D-9
Apr 21, 2002 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

David C

New Head-Fier
I bought a Sony D-9 "as is" for $5 today. It starts up no problem but it shuts off after about 5 seconds, just before it should start playing a track. One problem might be the AC adapter. I'm using a 9v - 500mA adapter and maybe that's not enough amps. My old Technics portable wouldn't work properly with less than 3v@800mA.

Thoughts? Can any D-9 owners let me know the correct specs for the AC adapter? Thanks.

Apr 21, 2002 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't know if old school Sonys were clever enough to display 'No Disc' on their displays... but, to me with it giving up after about 5 seconds that the laser has gone, and it can't find the CD... I would personally have thought if the power was there to spin the disc up, that it'd be there to play it too??

Apr 21, 2002 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 4
My D-7 doesn't display anything if I spin it up without a CD in it. It'll just spin up, try to find a CD that's not there, then shut itself off.

It's possible David C's laser or some other electronics in the player is bad. It was sold as is.

But I'd try a higher amp AC adapter just to make sure. I tend to believe these old PCDP's are kinda fussy with their minimum power requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back