dCS Bartok
Feb 2, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,801 of 2,027
prices are out of control and ridiculous..some items have doubled in price...there comes a point where it is simply silly
Can't say it doesn't bother me as well, even the 20% increase on Apex in 8 months, but to be fair, the Bartok was upgraded quite a bit since it came out at...9k? 3 years ago. I think Lina is good value in their line up for what it offers, especially in a Head-fi system. It's bound to get the 2.0 Mappers ,maybe in 5 days, or a year tops. For people who jumped on the Bartok early, or got a cheap used one a few months ago, things are looking pretty good. As well as resale values. So there's that.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #1,802 of 2,027
so in 3 yrs it will be 40k..count me out and I am a fanatic but there is a limit

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #1,805 of 2,027
Well the good news is that in a few years I can make a meaningful profit if I sell my dCS gear, but then what would I listen to?
not necessarily...for instance abyss 1266 TC just raised their prices from 5k to 6k and used prices didnt budge in fact they might have dropped a bit

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #1,807 of 2,027
So if a Bartok Apex comes out . . . will dCS release a Bartok Master Clock as well? Every other DAC in the dCS line up has a matching master clock available.
Interesting question

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #1,808 of 2,027
So if a Bartok Apex comes out . . . will dCS release a Bartok Master Clock as well? Every other DAC in the dCS line up has a matching master clock available.
Don’t think so. Dcs states the Rossini is the entry level into “separates” in an interview. Most people just use a Rossini clock. Between it and lina clock there are options . I also get the feeling they want tbe rossini clock to be a gateway drug on the road to the Rossini

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,809 of 2,027
Don’t think so. Dcs states the Rossini is the entry level into “separates” in an interview. Most people just use a Rossini clock. Between it and lina clock there are options . I also get the feeling they want tbe rossini clock to be a gateway drug on the road to the Rossini

I definitely match their marketing and segmentation targets. I was skeptical of such expensive DACs until I heard the Bartók. To frame that, despite growing up around audiophiles, 2 years earlier I thought a $400 pair of headphones was expensive and as high up the ladder as I needed to go. I bought a Bartók on a 3 hour audition with my Focal Stellia’s (which also seemed extravagant before I bought them). So with the Bartók I thought, “yup I’ve topped out”. By the way, that was when you could order one for about $17k with the headphone amp (not including taxes). It felt sick that they had been $14k not all that long earlier. It didn’t take long for the wheels to start turning about whether or not a Rossini clock might do something. Which lead to me getting one. And then shortly thereafter upgrading to a Rossini player. The Bartók was a really good gateway product into the dCS line. Now at today’s prices, I think I wouldn’t have even gone to listen to the Bartók, but I might have gone for a listen to the Lina. I have no idea how the Lina sounds, so not sure if it would have hooked me or not.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #1,810 of 2,027
I definitely match their marketing and segmentation targets. I was skeptical of such expensive DACs until I heard the Bartók. To frame that, despite growing up around audiophiles, 2 years earlier I thought a $400 pair of headphones was expensive and as high up the ladder as I needed to go. I bought a Bartók on a 3 hour audition with my Focal Stellia’s (which also seemed extravagant before I bought them). So with the Bartók I thought, “yup I’ve topped out”. By the way, that was when you could order one for about $17k with the headphone amp (not including taxes). It felt sick that they had been $14k not all that long earlier. It didn’t take long for the wheels to start turning about whether or not a Rossini clock might do something. Which lead to me getting one. And then shortly thereafter upgrading to a Rossini player. The Bartók was a really good gateway product into the dCS line. Now at today’s prices, I think I wouldn’t have even gone to listen to the Bartók, but I might have gone for a listen to the Lina. I have no idea how the Lina sounds, so not sure if it would have hooked me or not.
Based on others impressions , I think you would have found the Lina + Clock preferable to the Bartok. I loved the Lina, but I knew I would end up getting the Rossini eventually so I just sucked it up and went for it.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #1,811 of 2,027
Based on others impressions , I think you would have found the Lina + Clock preferable to the Bartok. I loved the Lina, but I knew I would end up getting the Rossini eventually so I just sucked it up and went for it.
I very much suspect you’re correct. I’ll get over to hear the stack eventually. My closest dealer said they planned to get the stack in. I also am trying to attend CanJam Chicago and/or Dallas this year and expect it’ll be present.

Feb 5, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,812 of 2,027
I very much suspect you’re correct. I’ll get over to hear the stack eventually. My closest dealer said they planned to get the stack in. I also am trying to attend CanJam Chicago and/or Dallas this year and expect it’ll be present.
Just don't bother with the Amp, Imo it's not capable of showing what the Dac and clock are capable of.

Feb 5, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,813 of 2,027
The Bartók was a really good gateway product into the dCS line. Now at today’s prices, I think I wouldn’t have even gone to listen to the Bartók, but I might have gone for a listen to the Lina. I have no idea how the Lina sounds, so not sure if it would have hooked me or not.
Yeah the Bartok used to be a product on my audition list, but with those ridiculous price increases I certainly lost interest.

The form factor of the Bartok is preferable over the Lina imo, so that's no replacement in my book either

Feb 5, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,814 of 2,027
Yeah the Bartok used to be a product on my audition list, but with those ridiculous price increases I certainly lost interest.

The form factor of the Bartok is preferable over the Lina imo, so that's no replacement in my book either
Not sure why you find the form factor preferable, side by side Lina and the clock are about the size of a Bartok, and I guarantee they better it in SQ. I might take it even the Apex, as I find any dCS dac needs a clock to shine. You might want to audition the new Linn Selekt Organik. Though I didn't find it much of an upgrade over Dave.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,815 of 2,027
Not sure why you find the form factor preferable, side by side Lina and the clock are about the size of a Bartok, and I guarantee they better it in SQ. I might take it even the Apex, as I find any dCS dac needs a clock to shine. You might want to audition the new Linn Selekt Organik. Though I didn't find it much of an upgrade over Dave.
It's probably being used to regular sized hifi gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back