dCS Bartok
Jul 28, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #1,576 of 2,027
Sorry to ask this question here because I own a Dave. Does anyone have a power cord recommendation?
I do, skip the power Chord (small pun there) and go for a good conditioner :p I've had 3 Isoteks thus far, and it scaled insanely well. And to keep it on topic, one of the reasons i would get a Bartok/Lina to replace Dave is how finnicky it is about power. If i get rid of my Isotek Genesis One , the performance takes a big hit. And i keep that plugged into an Isotek Aquarius, because if i plug the generator into the wall, it's another performance hit. The psu on Dave really is bad, but i'm not sure a custom one is the way to go.
If the Lina can hold its own against Dave without needing all the power stuff, I might just switch to it.

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #1,577 of 2,027
Sorry to ask this question here because I own a Dave. Does anyone have a power cord recommendation?
When I had a Dave, it was much less sensitive to power cables than the entire USB chain. If you're dedicated to the Dave I would focus on getting a good signal in and then maybe the mscaler. But that's why I ended up selling my MDave for a used Rossini. MDave is really great on its own but to make it sing takes a bit extra effort (power supply for mscaler and probably Wave cables for mscaler).

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #1,578 of 2,027
May want to try using the loop network port, another cable, and/or another port on your router. See if it’s just the main port input jack itself, or something else.
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried all of those to no avail. I haven’t given up though. I ordered a few new switches today in part for testing and in part I expect either more equipment to fail soon or I haven’t discovered it all yet. Today I found my backup ISP device (I have 2 ISPs for redundancy) also no longer connects over Ethernet. My Linn DAC was acting up as well (more heart sinking feeling as I discovered this), but after trying many things rebooting my Roon server got it working normally. Phew.

To add some levity to the situation, just a few days before I was talking to an old family friend (he was friends with my parents before I was even born). He’s an audiophile going back well before my time and I think I totally threw him off when I told him I’ve got my turntables up for sale, that digital is good enough for me. I was regaled with stories of all the times even good digital was thrashed by a vinyl rig. I get an e-mail the next day imploring me to keep one turntable. He’s (tongue-in-cheek) “just trying to save my soul”. Anyway, my statement of digital being good enough was veritable blasphemy to the analog die-hards and then I was struck by lightning and it hits my Rossini. Yeah, like divine retribution. The analog gods may have responded. Hopefully my Rossini has not been smote. Or I may have to build a reel-to-reel deck in penance.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #1,579 of 2,027
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried all of those to no avail. I haven’t given up though. I ordered a few new switches today in part for testing and in part I expect either more equipment to fail soon or I haven’t discovered it all yet. Today I found my backup ISP device (I have 2 ISPs for redundancy) also no longer connects over Ethernet. My Linn DAC was acting up as well (more heart sinking feeling as I discovered this), but after trying many things rebooting my Roon server got it working normally. Phew.

To add some levity to the situation, just a few days before I was talking to an old family friend (he was friends with my parents before I was even born). He’s an audiophile going back well before my time and I think I totally threw him off when I told him I’ve got my turntables up for sale, that digital is good enough for me. I was regaled with stories of all the times even good digital was thrashed by a vinyl rig. I get an e-mail the next day imploring me to keep one turntable. He’s (tongue-in-cheek) “just trying to save my soul”. Anyway, my statement of digital being good enough was veritable blasphemy to the analog die-hards and then I was struck by lightning and it hits my Rossini. Yeah, like divine retribution. The analog gods may have responded. Hopefully my Rossini has not been smote. Or I may have to build a reel-to-reel deck in penance.
Vinyl still rules. But it will cost as much as your Rossini or more.

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #1,580 of 2,027
Vinyl still rules. But it will cost as much as your Rossini or more.
Cost being another reason my turntables (both Linn LP12’s in different configurations) are for sale. I’m going to say Linn is middle tier in terms of cost and it’s easy to have one equipped in the the $20k range (still without being top of the line). Do I really want to have that much tied up in a source I won’t be using much? Additionally, I sold off the vinyl collection last year. It was a modest size (took a fully loaded van and station wagon to move), and I’m enjoying the extra cabinet space. Digital at the Rossini level is good enough for me. <braces for another bolt of lightning>

And I have discovered more lightning carnage. More electronics around the house that seems to have been impacted. We got lucky today that my wife got some food out of our chest freezer in the garage. Turns out there was no power out there. The breaker wasn’t tripped, but the freezer wasn’t running and a few items were starting to thaw. I did manage to get things working and we didn’t lose a freezer full of food, thankfully.

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,581 of 2,027
Cost being another reason my turntables (both Linn LP12’s in different configurations) are for sale. I’m going to say Linn is middle tier in terms of cost and it’s easy to have one equipped in the the $20k range (still without being top of the line). Do I really want to have that much tied up in a source I won’t be using much? Additionally, I sold off the vinyl collection last year. It was a modest size (took a fully loaded van and station wagon to move), and I’m enjoying the extra cabinet space. Digital at the Rossini level is good enough for me. <braces for another bolt of lightning>

And I have discovered more lightning carnage. More electronics around the house that seems to have been impacted. We got lucky today that my wife got some food out of our chest freezer in the garage. Turns out there was no power out there. The breaker wasn’t tripped, but the freezer wasn’t running and a few items were starting to thaw. I did manage to get things working and we didn’t lose a freezer full of food, thankfully.
Good luck with all of the damage. Hope it ends up not being too bad.

I keep my vinyl. I do feel it still sounds the best and once you have it, there are not really upgrades that improve the sound every month or year ( I use a Basis Inspiration Turntable and Viva electronics). It is a constant and a good comparison point for my evaluations. Streaming is the way to go for most listening. I use vinyl for that special album.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #1,582 of 2,027
In case anyone is curious about my lightning carnage status — still finding more broke stuff. The Rossini itself is in better shape than I thought. I ordered new switches, cables, etc with the intention to isolate my hifi network and particularly the Rossini with optical fiber. The last pieces came in today. With all the new bits I retested connectivity with the Rossini and while the primary network port still doesn’t function, the loop port does. This didn’t work with my old switch on any port with the original or a different cable. I still think I should have dCS check the unit out, but maybe that can wait for when I try doing the APEX upgrade. Now the bonus here is that while I was doing this fiber stuff just to eliminate long runs of conductors into the Rossini, I actually got a sound improvement. I’m big about soundstage and imaging and that’s what improved for me. I feel like it improved soundstage depth. I verified with swapping back to “normal” copper connections. I really didn’t expect that.

As to network change specifics, previously I was running a Blue Jeans CAT5E cable into my “hifi” switch (all the rack gear needing wired connectivity goes here), and then that switch was connected into my main switch via a 100’ or 150’ CAT6 cable that runs around a good portion of the perimeter of my house (and probably the big pickup for the lightning). Now I have a 50m multimode fiber running from a switch into a media converter that then runs a Blue Jeans CAT5E into the Rossini. The media converter is powered by an iFi PowerX to keep noise down. And then I bought a new switch to replace the hifi switch. It has it’s own fiber run as well, albeit different. That one has a 20m single mode fiber ala SFP+ active optical DACs (not the audio kind). That gives that switch a 10gbe connection into the main network, not that it’ll ever need that much.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #1,583 of 2,027
On a slightly different topic (although the lightning tale reminded me why I bought the Niagara!!) - After a month or so of hiFiMan ownership, I'm very happy with how the Bartok works with the Susvara - although I'm sure there are gains to be had with more $$ into amplification, I'm incredibly pleased with the sound.

so - if you were minded to try the Susvara, but put off by the much-discussed need for exotic/speaker amps - don't be - they sound fantastic with the Bartok's amp.

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #1,584 of 2,027
Quick question for Bartok owners. I recently switched from Dave to Bartok and have been impressed. For music it has been phenomenal on my ATC speakers. I aslo use a computer and connect via USB to watch Netflix and other streaming services. Is there a way to alter the DAC for the USB setting to be low latency so the audio matches lip movements? The m scaler / Dave had a auto detect button for video signals but I cannot find the setting for Bartok. I know there is an optical input too but I use that for my Xbox X (I gotta lotta toys in the man cave!)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #1,585 of 2,027
Quick question for Bartok owners. I recently switched from Dave to Bartok and have been impressed. For music it has been phenomenal on my ATC speakers. I aslo use a computer and connect via USB to watch Netflix and other streaming services. Is there a way to alter the DAC for the USB setting to be low latency so the audio matches lip movements? The m scaler / Dave had a auto detect button for video signals but I cannot find the setting for Bartok. I know there is an optical input too but I use that for my Xbox X (I gotta lotta toys in the man cave!)
Traitor!

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #1,586 of 2,027

There is a toggle for a buffer. In Mosaic, in the Device panel where you can set clock sync mode is a toggle at the bottom of the list (above Balance) just labeled “Buffer”. That toggled off will reduce the latency.

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #1,587 of 2,027
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back