dCS Bartok
Jun 19, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #376 of 2,027
Uh Uh - let them fight!

To make it short: Is anyone who has abondend a Chord TT2/Mscaler/ Dave for a Bartok unhappy with the decision?
Of course not.People don't regret magic cables either :) Seems like you're trying really hard to justify it over a Dave.I think any decision you make without listening yourself and comparing them would be a wrong decision.The only time you can really be subjective is when you don't have skin in the game.After that you'll just convince yourself you made the right decision.If you haven't though your feelings will come bubbling up eventually and you'll sell and get new stuff,as so many people on the forums do.Your brain plays the biggest part in all this.Which is why snake oil works.Emperor's new clothes and all.
For example on some stuff that i ordered i'm keeping because i can't be bothered with returning them and they're the right length,etc.

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #377 of 2,027
Uh Uh - let them fight!

To make it short: Is anyone who has abondend a Chord TT2/Mscaler/ Dave for a Bartok unhappy with the decision?

I have access to a DAVE as a good friend of mine who lives just down the road has had once since they first came out. I have spent quite a bit of time listening to it and to be honest if i had a DAVE i would not be looking at a Bartok as an next step. Different, yes; but better, not so sure its such a personal decision at the higher price points across different brands and ranges. I upgraded from the original Vega and its a good step forward for me. If you stick with dCS, then a worthwhile step forward from a DAVE would be a Rossini DAC. But then you need a good headphone amp and cables as well. So the price difference is more than double the DAVE.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #378 of 2,027
I have access to a DAVE as a good friend of mine who lives just down the road has had once since they first came out. I have spent quite a bit of time listening to it and to be honest if i had a DAVE i would not be looking at a Bartok as an next step. Different, yes; but better, not so sure its such a personal decision at the higher price points across different brands and ranges. I upgraded from the original Vega and its a good step forward for me. If you stick with dCS, then a worthwhile step forward from a DAVE would be a Vivaldi DAC. But then you need a good headphone amp and cables as well. So the price difference is more than double the DAVE.
Thanks for some clarity ,i was curious as well.Does your friend use dedicated streamers,regenerators ,etc?

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #379 of 2,027
He streams from his NAS drives through a Sonore microRendu into the DAVE. Sound is good for the money spent. Possibly some upside for him if he upgrades the microRendu; but we are into more marginal gains i think.

Control of the music is done using Roon.

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #380 of 2,027
He streams from his NAS drives through a Sonore microRendu into the DAVE. Sound is good for the money spent. Possibly some upside for him if he upgrades the microRendu; but we are into more marginal gains i think.

Control of the music is done using Roon.
Sounds like good value for half the price of the Bartok.Plus some people actually prefer the Dave.

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #384 of 2,027
Sounds like good value for half the price of the Bartok.Plus some people actually prefer the Dave.

Yes i honestly think it comes down to preference at these higher price points. First time i tried the DAVE i went round my friends for dinner and he said to quickly try it with his LCD-3 headphones. I ended up being called to the dinner table an hour later... Its a very impressive piece of kit. Its up there with the Bartok and i know i would have been happy with either one.

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #386 of 2,027
Yes i honestly think it comes down to preference at these higher price points. First time i tried the DAVE i went round my friends for dinner and he said to quickly try it with his LCD-3 headphones. I ended up being called to the dinner table an hour later... Its a very impressive piece of kit. Its up there with the Bartok and i know i would have been happy with either one.
That's cool.I noticed you went through a lot of Hifiman headphones,any reason why you keep selling and coming back to them?

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #388 of 2,027

The Dave and a streamer are not 1/2 the price of a Bartok.the bartok has a built-in streamer and the amp section is significantly better than what is in the Dave if you have hard to drive headphones.

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #390 of 2,027
The Dave and a streamer are not 1/2 the price of a Bartok.the bartok has a built-in streamer and the amp section is significantly better than what is in the Dave if you have hard to drive headphones.
If you believe in streamers making that much of a difference,having heard the Dave with both a Node2i and a Naim ND555 via optical,the difference was negligible,if any.
I'd rather use my desktop pc ,if not there are cheaper streaming solutions.Plus the Node2i's interface was nicer than the Auralic one for example and for such a small difference,i'd prefer the better interface.The node still sounded worse than my PC though..People on the Dave forum ,Rob included were saying the amp section is basically the same power,just unbalanced.Whether or not it's actually worse ,being unbalanced is another discussion.I think you're the guy who pissed Rob off though,right? :D
We might be getting a Dave 2 sooner because of you :p
Either way i don't use/plan on getting Susvaras or the like,i'm actually only using closed headphones because of practical reasons.So for me the difference is literally twice the price for the Bartok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back