dCS Bartok
Jan 15, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #151 of 2,027
sounded like he felt threatened by the Bartok. Weird reaction.

Maybe they should feel threatened. IMO the Bartok does more than the Dave at a similar price point.

Jan 15, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #152 of 2,027
sounded like he felt threatened by the Bartok. Weird reaction.

I'm not sure it's so much threatened as trapped.

Imagine someone standing in front of you, making all sorts of comments about you that you felt weren't fair/true/accurate and you weren't allowed to respond. I think we'd all be a little frustrated at not being able to engage in a conversation. These aren't his rules, they are this site's, for better or worse.

BTW...I don't own products from DCS or Chord, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #153 of 2,027
Not sure why Dave, opsss, I mean Rob, would need to feel obligated to counter-attack Karma's personal impressions about the sound perception, especially that he wasn't even talking to him.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #155 of 2,027
I was never invited to the Abyss phi party, lol. I tried to crash it for over a year but they wouldn't let me in.

So I traded them with the Susvaras with a good headfi-er instead and have been very happy with them. I resisted for a long time mainly because of their craftsmanship, well still not thrilled... the leather on one of the earpads is slipping off, but sq and comfort are much more compatible with my taste than the Abyss.

The susvaras have very good synergy with the hp amp on the Bartok.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #156 of 2,027
Say it ain't so :cold_sweat:

I have decided that they are not going anywhere they are too good. I will use them with the Bartok feeding my liquid platinum for the time being. I did not get the headphone output on the bartok. It did drive the abyss but I think that the liquid platinum drives them better but not as transparently. The Abyss just need a good amount of power.

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #157 of 2,027
Has anyone tried driving headphones from the balanced outputs on the back of the bstock or rossini? I am curious as to how it would sound I k how that many folks were doing so with the TT2 and susvara or abyss.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #158 of 2,027
Has anyone tried driving headphones from the balanced outputs on the back of the bstock or rossini? I am curious as to how it would sound I k how that many folks were doing so with the TT2 and susvara or abyss.

I'm not sure that would work. Im definitely not an expert, so it might, but I remember reading something about the design of the HTT2 allowing it, but most gear it wouldn't work.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #159 of 2,027
I'm not sure that would work. Im definitely not an expert, so it might, but I remember reading something about the design of the HTT2 allowing it, but most gear it wouldn't work.

I had seen something about people doing it with the vivaldi somewhere. I might give it a try and see.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #160 of 2,027
320x320.jpg

Released this month, 24/96 on qobuz and mqa on tidal. Definitely a worthwhile listen with the Bartok for any Mahler enthusiast.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #161 of 2,027
320x320.jpg

Released this month, 24/96 on qobuz and mqa on tidal. Definitely a worthwhile listen with the Bartok for any Mahler enthusiast.
Am a big Mahler fan. Any opinion on whether the Qobuz or Tidal MQA sounds better to you?

I have both Qobuz and Tidal, and found that it varies.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #162 of 2,027
Is it just me or is there an extreme amount of fanboyism for Chord here on headfi? Over on that other headphone centric forum (you know the one) it seems to be the same for schitt.

It seems that folks in the two channel world are much more open to trying other dacs. Maybe it has something to do with the cost factor in highend speakers compared to high end headphones.

Thanks for the Mahler rec I am going to listen to it tonight.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #164 of 2,027
I think it's just that other more expensive DACs are so hard to audition.

Chord stuff is widely available.

I could see that being a possibility. I am fortunate to live in chicago where I can audition different gear. I have a chord and dCS dealer within 25 min of me. I had ordered a metrum pavane after owning and loving the onyx but after waiting a month I canceled the order. I never got to hear the pavane and would have been buying it blind. That is also why I didn't get a terminator. I really think that you need to audition if at all possible. It would be great if brands did more in home trials.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #165 of 2,027
Am a big Mahler fan. Any opinion on whether the Qobuz or Tidal MQA sounds better to you?

I have both Qobuz and Tidal, and found that it varies.

I haven't seriously compared the Qobuz and Tidal MQA. I only know a little bit about MQA and not enough to fully understand or how it compares to actual high res on Qobuz. You probably saw... Qobuz ad says "better than MQA" lol. Not sure if it true, but could be convincing. When I listen to MQA, though, I think I can understand why it is gaining traction. And MQA implementation on the Bartok is quite special, arguably one of the best I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back