dCS Bartok
Mar 16, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #16 of 2,027
Congratulations on the Bartók. Great looking piece. Enjoy it.

I just bought a second hand Ayre QX-5 Twenty, as a more cost-conscious alternative. I've had it for about three weeks in my office desktop system and very happy so far. I have it set up as an all-in-one Roon endpoint, DAC, and headamp. I listen through Focal Utopia headphones and Genelec 8030C active monitors. Maybe in a few years when I'm ready for another change, there will be Bartók options on the second hand market.

What Headphones cables are you using for your Ayre QX-5 and your Utopia?

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 2,027
Mar 16, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #19 of 2,027
What’s the MSRP in US for Bartók?

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 2,027
It is $13,500 for the Bartok without the optional headphone amplifier or $15,000 for the Bartok with a built-in headphone amplifier.

Not cheap. For sure. Hoping “street “ price is below $10K

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #22 of 2,027
I did not realise the bartok was so big from the pictures until i found this one.

IMG_2965_zps6fztoixr.jpg

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #23 of 2,027
Not cheap. For sure. Hoping “street “ price is below $10K

Not cheap at all and I'm guessing there won't be much of a "street" price. From what I've seen dCS gear generally sells at MSRP, but I'm hoping I am wrong on this one. I would think the best bet is to call up a dealer and see if you can work anything out.

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #24 of 2,027
I did not realise the bartok was so big from the pictures until i found this one.

Yeah, the Bartok is a full-sized component and is pretty hefty. I was lucky enough to be in Boston last fall when the first demo units hit the US. I was in Goodwin's High End the day they received their Bartok and watched as they unboxed it. I, too, was surprised at its size and weight. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to listen to it. It didn't have the built-in headphone amp, though, which is what I was mainly interested in.

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #25 of 2,027
Interesting that Raveen Bawa of dCS says, "...we're entering into the Head-Fi field with the Bartók..." which I'm sure must be flattering for @jude. The fact the Barkók is software upgradable is compelling because as he states, their products will have a very long lifespan. I hope to see more companies move towards upgradable platforms like dCS.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #27 of 2,027
495D8E3F-263C-4FEF-9415-665A1B045B7A.jpeg
Gents

Some views to share. I have upgraded my stereo in London w some Wilson Sabrina and dcs Rossini, which is in its topology approach very similar to Bartok. I have also H2 to compare - which I used in the past and which I like very much. As a disclaimer I am almost only listening to Classics / Opera.

What do I like w Rossini

1) Excellent versatility - can use Laptop, A&K, Upnp, HD, Tidal etc which is really great
2) The sound quality is really superb - I think its resolution is higher and it is very musical. I certainly prefer it over H2 (see disclaimer below)
3) It is very well built and can be used as a preamp such that you can at the same time use it for Pass XA30.8 (LS) and Stax energiser, when using both XLS and cinch which are separate

What are the areas w need some consideration

1) The Rossini app on iPhone is fiddly
2) The sheer amount of filter is puzzling 5 x 3 = 15. when figuring out it is really good. I use the new ring topology (1) and filters 1 and 5

Hope this is helpful

M

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #28 of 2,027

Great stack, did you just go from the Hugo 2 (under $2,000) directly to the Rossini (over $20,000)?

I would also suggest getting some kind of thick wooden board to place between the amp & DAC.
They both probably put out a LOT of heat & stacking on top of each other can lead to problems down the line. That & placing amps or DACs on metals tends to add vibrations to the mix.

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #29 of 2,027
Great stack, did you just go from the Hugo 2 (under $2,000) directly to the Rossini (over $20,000)?

I would also suggest getting some kind of thick wooden board to place between the amp & DAC.
They both probably put out a LOT of heat & stacking on top of each other can lead to problems down the line. That & placing amps or DACs on metals tends to add vibrations to the mix.

Yes - because the network player from Linn died... and I needed replacement. The intention is to use a USM haller (www.usm.com) combination for amp and dcs such that heat can dissipate. After 48h running the amp (class A), Rossini temperature is at 42C. Currently they are sitting on a wooden shelf, which you can see.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #30 of 2,027
1) Excellent versatility - can use Laptop, A&K, Upnp, HD, Tidal etc which is really great
2) The sound quality is really superb - I think its resolution is higher and it is very musical. I certainly prefer it over H2 (see disclaimer below)
3) It is very well built and can be used as a preamp such that you can at the same time use it for Pass XA30.8 (LS) and Stax energiser, when using both XLS and cinch which are separate

I should hope so, Chord Hugo2 (£1,800) dCS Rossini (£17,000)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back