DC Area Meet - December 15th, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #46 of 74
Unfortunate update: we had to send away the Stax and Focal headphones. The perils of borrowed equipment. Hopefully the headphones will still be present at the meet in others' collections.

im gonna be bringing 2 pairs of stax 009 and a sr007 and a few amps as well so if people want to try them that’s cool with me. Update my new amp is almost done in fact I’ll be picking it up at the meet. It’s a rollable tube solid state hybrid, in two billet cases one for the amp and the other for the PSU both the same footprint. Super compact but plenty of great power and excellent sound. More details to come but check out the photo so far of the case work in progress. What you guys think? Sorry photos are kinda fuzzy but it has a excellent bead blasted finish.
94A609E5-B962-4F7B-B0FC-5D13EE5301BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #47 of 74
im gonna be bringing 2 pairs of stax 009 and a sr007 and a few amps as well so if people want to try them that’s cool with me. Update my new amp is almost done in fact I’ll be picking it up at the meet. It’s a rollable tube solid state hybrid, in two billet cases one for the amp and the other for the PSU both the same footprint. Super compact but plenty of great power and excellent sound. More details to come but check out the photo so far of the case work in progress. What you guys think? Sorry photos are kinda fuzzy but it has a excellent bead blasted finish.

Looks cool, is it your design? Glad you're bringing the Stax.

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #48 of 74
Thanks! But unfortunately I am not the designer though I did have a chance to demo the prototype and have a few specific request like a international voltage switch since I travel between NY and U.K. often. Hence the size was also important. The person who makes them is doing a all in house design from casework to the electronics to the finishing. He will be attending as well. There’s a larger more refined amp that will be there as well but can’t comment on sound as I’ve never heard that one.

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #49 of 74
This is the larger of the two amps, it’s he finishing is not done so it’s just of the CNC. It’s also billet and two boxes. The smaller has the same aesthetic design but smaller in size and two tubes sticking out of it

FDBE9DB5-0A1A-422D-B345-E5CB15C01825.jpeg
66504780-3DC5-48A3-B893-AB5B3932C31E.jpeg

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #50 of 74
I will try to make it up for at least part of the day. I have some older Stax stuff I will bring with me: Lambda NB, SR-5, SR-30, and a SRM-313 power them all. I might bring one of my Stax transformers as well if I feel like bringing one of my speaker amps.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #51 of 74
@Paladin79 has sent me the tubes from the tube shootout for us to compare in a Lyr 3. So I'll be bringing those to the meet. They are in the pvc pipes as shown and I have a sealed envelope with the identities.

https://audio-head.com/double-blind-a-b-schiit-shootout-tubes/

SchiitR-Tube-9774-1.jpg

Right now I'm thinking I'll bring my Jotenheim, Loki, Mimby, and Asgard 2. Along with a selection of my phones: M50X, EL-8, HD6XX, Grado 225, and ER-4XR.

Hope to see some of you there!

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #54 of 74
I might pass by but not 100% sure yet :)

I am the truck driver audiophile from montreal, if I get a route going south I will be passing via highway 95 and park my 65 feet long truck at the neer by plaza.

I have

wm1z
tia trio
ares 2 bespoke
rhapsodio silver cable
wireworld copper, sennheiser connectors with 4.4 balanced end

I am mostly interested by the event, if possible try a few gears :) :) :)

Dec 12, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #55 of 74
small rack 3.jpg
Those tubes look a lot like medication bottles - we may start an Audio epidemic:)

Just the tops are from medication bottles lol. They fit nicely onto pvc pipe. This all started because a buddy bet me a steak dinner and a bottle of wine he could pick a GE tube from a choice of eight tubes, so I sealed them all up and challenged him to do so. He came within one tube of winning and blindly named at least half the tubes concealed in pvc.

I even made my own octal extensions so all the tube bases would look identical, some are marked CCCP or have metal instead of bakelite. Jason at Schiit audio saw a post and asked if I could send him the tubes for a shootout. I upgraded several tubes so as not to send him anything considered sub par like GE. I set Jason up with four way switch boxes so he could switch between four tubes at a time.

I am now involved building four class A OTL amps that use 6sn7 equivalents and this time any tube, regardless of shape can be used. Some of the Chinese tubes would not have fit in the pvc the way RCA, Tung Sol, Ken-Rad, Melz etc. did. There will be a metal cage over each tube under test so they are not visible to anyone listening. Such a setup will allow for comparison between single triode tubes such as this, to standard 6sn7's.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #56 of 74
I will definitely be coming. I'll probably just bring my auralic stack and no headphones. I'll also bring an internet connection, roon server, a&k Kann and tia fourte's.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #57 of 74
I will be bringing our GS-X mini amp and this pair of Rosson Audio Design RAD-0

rosson-rad-0-headamp-gs-x-mini.jpg

Have been burning in this pair of Radiante 1706 I'll be bringing. (The stand is cool too)

spirit-torino-radiante-1706-ti-suede.jpg

Other stuff I will bring is: Blue Hawaii SE, variety of STAX headphones, Focal Stellia, and we will see what else I can come up with

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    894.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 12, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #58 of 74
I should be coming as well, though I'm not sure about what I;ll bring, if anything. My setups are pretty mid-fi, but if anyone is interested in Elear with Elex pads, Blackwood, or Hifiman Edition Xv2 reply and I'll try to bring something. I'm looking forward to this one, can't wait to hear those Aurorus headphones in their final form! See you all then.

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #59 of 74
Maybe you can bring the elear..i have elear but i have to check.also if the 'rattling' noise im getting from my elear on high volume is normal. And the hifiman edition x v2 so we can compare it.to.my.he1000v2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back