DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Sunday, December 4, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #151 of 184
I'll post up and get subscribed to this thread so I don't miss the next meet up.   I may have a new amp or 2 to bring to the next meet - COS engineering H1 hopefully w/ a balanced adapter after Will makes one for me.  Also a Violectric V281 is arriving soon.  I'll be curious to see how the Utopia sounds w/ balanced output. 

Cheers and happy new year to all!

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #153 of 184

@kendavis  - Sounds like a plan! Let's correspond and I'm definitely interested. The Bimby/Lyr2 set up sounds like it would be a great combo for my purposes. From what I'm reading, the Bimby DAC is world-class and highly regarded. A local sale is very much preferred for me, as well. I appreciate the willingness to set up a listen. 

Hi @skhan007 and @kendavis - I wanted to let you know I recently purchased a flag ship headphone from Ken, and can vouch he was great to work with. He keeps his gear immaculate. Ken told me the headphone had 2 chips on it, but I couldn't even see them with an initial visual scan. I would highly recommend checking out and listening to the gear he has for sale (preferably with the HP and source you are thinking of purchasing), at the very least.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #154 of 184
Sure 
  Hi @darmanastartes! I do a lot of hifi stuff, but am just getting into vinyl - been digital my whole life. Do you think maybe I could PM you to ask a few questions and discuss vinyl setups? Thanks! PS - Do you have any recommendations for an entry level phono stage?

Sure, feel free. I can't speak to phono stages though, I have my record player hooked directly into the phono input of a JVC AX-S331 that I picked up cheap at a pawn shop. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #155 of 184
I had a great visit at Urban Hi-Fi today and wanted to thank @willsw, @sheldaze, @TimeLord , and @kendavis for their generosity and letting me try out some extremely cool gear today! It was great to meet all of you and I look forward to seeing everyone again.

I don't know if it's the cold medicine talking or sheer euphoria, but what a great visit at Urban Hi-Fi today! Overwhelmingly positive would be an understatement for the cool gear I got to listen to today. My impressions thus far:

Regarding cans, I was back and forth between the Audeze EL8 open-backs and Senn HD800. I really liked them both and would probably like to go for the HD800, if I can find a used set. If not, I know the EL8's would suit me. In the closed-back category, I really liked the Mr. Speaker Alpha Prime. I loved the open-backs, but fear sound leakage will upset those around me at home. Something to think about. 

Regarding DACs, they were all really good. The Bimby, Chord Mojo, and Sony PHA-3 were all great. I had very weird experience with the Oppo HA-2 and HA-2SE. Both units did not stay connected via lightning adapted to my iPhone 7. There was a rapid connected/not-connected thing going on and I could not get through one song without my phone pausing or my phones internal speakers coming on. I've posted this on the Oppo HA-2 thread and hope to understand it further. I was really ready to purchase this unit, but will not if there's a known incompatibility with the iPhone 7. We tried different cables to no avail.

Amps: Blown away by the MicroZotl2, Lyr2, and Woo WA7. I have no idea how I could pick. They were all superb. I'm actually frozen from both indecision and cold DC weather. The Woo had the Wow factor in terms of looks, the Lyr sounded warm and broad in tonal spectrum, and the MicroZotl was just HUGE sounding. The Woo has the added benefit of a built-in DAC. I'll need to sleep on all of this and see if I can make a decision. Others have suggested I should get my cans first and build the rest around them. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #156 of 184
Happy New Year everyone!

Looking forward to new Schiit and new Chords as we approach CES.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #157 of 184
Just an FYI: if anyone is interested in listening to the new ZMF headphones, I'll be sending them back soon, though I don't know exactly when. Come by the shop anytime this week and feel free to bring your own amp. We'll be getting them in again when we carry the production models, but I also don't know when that is happening. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #159 of 184
PSA: a few weeks ago when we met, I used some music from Patrick Watson to audition some equipment. He is coming to DC on March 27:

http://www.ustreetmusichall.com/event/1393990-patrick-watson-washington/

Highly recommended!

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #163 of 184
This thread has been dead for a few weeks :frowning2:

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #164 of 184
This thread has been dead for a few weeks
frown.gif

I think it is just the lull between the holidays and CanJam. We'll pickup steam after CanJam and what goodness may lie there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back