Member of the Trade: Aurorus Audio
Date : Sunday, December 4, 2016
Time: 12pm to 5pm

Urban HiFi
7316 Carroll Ave 
T
akoma Park, MD 20912

Hi Everyone,

As always, everyone is welcome and you can bring any equipment you like, but you don't need to bring gear.

Please post the list of the gear you can bring, and don't forget your extension cords, power strips, and adapters.

Meet Rules

1. Please treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Please don't unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Please don't turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Please don't move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling others' equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
  9. If you can have the five songs listed below on your system--it'll help everyone audition unfamiliar gear.

(Please excuse my plagiarism of Barry's excellent meet thread starting posts)

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 184
Now that we have a definite date, I plan to bring my Yggy and MZ2S, though I suppose there will already be MZ2Ss there. Would like to hear Focal Utopia through this again (before committing big bucks). I'm also thinking of bringing a bunch of Head-Fi-type "stocking stuffers"... small Items that I'd sell cheap, if anyone might have interest in that sort of thing. I'll put a list together and post it here beforehand to see if there is any interest.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 184
  Now that we have a definite date, I plan to bring my Yggy and MZ2S, though I suppose there will already be MZ2Ss there. Would like to hear Focal Utopia through this again (before committing big bucks). I'm also thinking of bringing a bunch of Head-Fi-type "stocking stuffers"... small Items that I'd sell cheap, if anyone might have interest in that sort of thing. I'll put a list together and post it here beforehand to see if there is any interest.

Ken, did you get a UPS to keep your Yggy warm? I haven't been looking at the daily deal, but it was around this time last year Barry and I purchased UPS from Staples for a pretty good price.

::

Overlapping with things other people are bringing, but here goes - RNHP is my one unique piece and my balanced stack is listed below:

1. Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold
  2. Focal Utopia
  3. Schiit Yggdrasil
  4. Sennheiser HD650
  5. Sennheiser HD800S

Please bring balanced headphones to listen. In light of recent DAC availability, I wanted to be certain the bases were covered 
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 184
  Ken, did you get a UPS to keep your Yggy warm? I haven't been looking at the daily deal, but it was around this time last year Barry and I purchased UPS from Staples for a pretty good price.

Thanks @sheldaze, I've got my Yggy plugged into a UPS which will travel with it. I will check that the battery is still good by unplugging the UPS today to test it. If the UPS battery is dead, that will still give me two weeks to warm it up on another one.

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 184
I can probably make this on the Sunday. Would love it if the normal compliment of Schiit could be there (Mimby, Bimby, Yiggy especially) along with maybe the Ayre Codex :) 

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 184
Definitely not going to bring two full setups, due to unknown space constraints. I can certainly bring Ayre Codex source and RNHP instead. I'll bring the TOTL stack another time.

Nov 19, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 184
I'll bring Moon NEO 230HAD dac/amp, and 2-3 headphones, including Audeze Sine w/ cipher cable if anyone wants to try that out with their iPhone 6/6s/7.

Regarding a UPS - how long does the storage battery last, typically?  I have a basic one, 3-4 years old, to protect my computer setup, Do they die?

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 184
  I'll bring Moon NEO 230HAD dac/amp, and 2-3 headphones, including Audeze Sine w/ cipher cable if anyone wants to try that out with their iPhone 6/6s/7.

Regarding a UPS - how long does the storage battery last, typically?  I have a basic one, 3-4 years old, to protect my computer setup, Do they die?

They recommend that the batteries be replaced every 3 years, but most of mine have lasted longer. In my experience, the batteries last anywhere from 4 to 7 years with APC equipment. On APC units, you can run a self-test on the unit to see if the battery needs to be changed.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 184
I am interested in hearing the ZMF Omni with a balanced cable on my Taboo III. I can bring the amp. I think you mentioned Zach would be sending a few samples down for listening at this even.
Will you have different OMNI woods available there? The Zebrawood is on sale now on his website for $750. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 184
@gandhisfist Thanks for starting the thread. 

The normal Sunday meet time of 12-5pm would work, and if anyone wants to hang around a little longer to hear anything that's in the shop, I'd be happy to do that. We have power strips and some other necessities, but I still recommend bringing your own. We have wifi.

As far as space: I think we'll manage to fit the systems that arrive, and if there is more gear than tables in the main room, there is the basement (we'll ask that people don't set up in the workshop), which isn't as comfy but is a space we spend hours in on different tasks. 

Headphone things we'll have in the shop:
LTA gear (MicroZOTL2, MZ2-S)
ZMF Omni in wenge, Atticus, and Eikon (unknown woods)
Mitchell and Johnson GL2 Electrostatz headphones
MrSpeakers Ether-C 1.1 (no Flow yet)
A selection of Audeze headphones that I'm not sure of yet, as we're partnering with a local Audeze dealer.
iBasso DX80, IT03 IEMs, P5 desktop/portable amp with rollable opamps, and depending on shipping a few other things.

DACs available to hook into your system if you'd like:
Clones Asher DAC
Aqua La Voce - though this one might leave (it's being loaned to us by Well Pleased Audio Vida) before the meet. If anyone really wants to hear it specifically, you can come by any time during business hours, or just let me know when you'd be able to stop by.
Metrum Musette (the only Metrum in house, sorrrrry)  

Unconfirmed but possible:
Holo Audio Spring DAC - Tim at Kistune is doing his best to get it here in time
MHDT Stockholm V2 - Haven't gotten a shipping confirmation, but it's possible.

To open the store we've been focusing on speaker stuff, but we'll get back to headphones and related as we go. 

Quote:
  I am interested in hearing the ZMF Omni with a balanced cable on my Taboo III. I can bring the amp. I think you mentioned Zach would be sending a few samples down for listening at this even.
Will you have different OMNI woods available there? The Zebrawood is on sale now on his website for $750. 

We'll only be getting the new dynamic headphones from Zach, and only have the one pair of Omnis at the shop, in wenge wood. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 184
Thanks so much @willsw!

Definitely looking forward to hearing how the Ether C stacks up vs. The Omni's. I am in the market for one of these headphones, not sure which one yet!

BTW, I have never been to a meet before. How do people usually pack and bring their gear? I have a 2 door coupe, my trunk is fairly large. This is some sensitive and expensive equipment!

I also have a BDP-1 which I would probably bring. It is a bit of a pain to set up on a new WiFi network, but I will try it. Not sure I will be able to do it though, as I am not a networking genius. I set it up on my home network last year, and it has pretty much been set and forget since then. Would hate to lose all my settings...but it is a great source and I think others should hear it. 

So, I guess I would attempt to bring my BDP, my DAC, and the Taboo along with their accompanying power cords and interconnects...that's ~$3k in components alone, plus my cables are quite pricey....then there's the tubes....woof.

Any tips? Lots of blankets??

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 184
I wrap everything in small bubble and use a medium roll around suitcase for transport. Tubes I keep in a separate "tackle" box. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back