DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Sunday, December 4, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #166 of 184
Feb 8, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #168 of 184
  Where/what/when is Cam Jam?

It was in NYC this past weekend.

What it is - simply supposed to be the penultimate of headphone meets. It included vendors-only though, so a little different than anything we would do around here. There should be posts on the main page of Head-Fi.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #169 of 184
Thanks! Sounds cool, but to me vendors only is lame! I learned a ton at our first Urban Hifi meet. Mostly about my own equipment! I'm still reacting to all that, primarily selling some amps and buying some balanced cables. Also heard some magnificent headphones - still shopping for a LCD-2 pre fazor or possibly an HE6 if I can afford to break the bank. Thanks again to everyone who let us all listen to each other's gear!

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #170 of 184
It was in NYC this past weekend.

What it is - simply supposed to be the penultimate of headphone meets. It included vendors-only though, so a little different than anything we would do around here. There should be posts on the main page of Head-Fi.

Did you have fun?

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #171 of 184
Did you have fun?

Absolutely!
And I hope they keep these large events coming to the East Coast!

Many things there I would never have the opportunity to listen to otherwise - some good, and some just okay. But it's still fun in the experience. Hard to get Dave out of my head though!

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #172 of 184
Absolutely!
And I hope they keep these large events coming to the East Coast!

Many things there I would never have the opportunity to listen to otherwise - some good, and some just okay. But it's still fun in the experience. Hard to get Dave out of my head though!

Well. Just buy Dave then :wink:

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #173 of 184
...And once you have purchased Dave, I'd love to hear it!!!

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #174 of 184

Funny because everything I've heard about Dave seems to suggest it makes everything sound "out of your head"

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #175 of 184

Funny because everything I've heard about Dave seems to suggest it makes everything sound "out of your head"

I finally heard the DAVE last weekend. It's a good DAC, but I walked away thinking what on earth is everyone going on about. I told @sheldaze when I got home, I heard my setup of Holo Spring L3 (Nicely burned in by the time I got back) --> Liquid Gold --> Utopia and I honestly did not hear a single thing at CanJam that sounded as good. Not the DAVE, not the Shangri-La, not the Orpheus HE-1, not Stax 009 on Blue Hawaii, not Abyss on Woo WA5...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #176 of 184
Speaking of the NYC meet, holy cow:

post #232

And yes, I actually can see myself. Do you see yourself @kendavis?

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #179 of 184
  Yes.. back by the Chord table with you, isn't it?

It just figures, I was over in the Chord section 
rolleyes.gif

I missed the drone that took that pic.

Ha, I see you two. David Robinson is across from you.

Wow - good eyes 
eek.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #180 of 184

Reading back through my emails...

Two things surprised me about the Hugo TT and the Dave (and I'll include the Hugo 2 in my list, as I listened to it later). Listening to my Mojo, I was not particularly impressed with the headphone output. The sound I liked, such as for DAC purpose, or on easily driven headphones. But when directly connected to my normal headphones, I tended to find the sound tiring. So my listening sessions were done on an LCD-4 they had, and the headphone amplifier was actually good!

The second thing was the overall balance did not strike me as typical Chord house sound. A lot of people speak of the Hugo having more depth, but leaning towards the higher end of the frequency spectrum. It's like you have to take the good with the bad. That did not seem to be the case, as in there was not sacrifice of bass or just good overall balance from the highs to the lows. And the depth of sound was there.

Now as far as going through the progression from Hugo TT up to Hugo 2, and last up to Dave - I did not feel any of these had an "out of head" experience. They all sounded similarly in where the music came from. But on the purely electronic, clean music I played, there was just more stuff! What was a clear sound through the Hugo TT became even deeper and more detailed on the Hugo 2, and even more (!) on the Dave. I felt like I could reach around and almost see the back side of each sound. I was no longer looking at just the front of a fuzzy, pixilated sound, but could sense the size and shape, and depth in full high resolution detail. Unfortunately this likely reads as gibberish, but it is how I heard it.

The experience had me talking about the filter and FPGA software through the evening. I was wondering, what are they doing in recreating the sound from the FLAC. I truly was hearing more, and was curious if the Dave was spitting out garbage, which it was making up? Adding notes between the notes, which weren't originally there? Or is that original sound truly there in the recording?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back