DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016, 12:00 Noon-4:00 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #61 of 297
I'm really new to all this, so it'll be great if I can make it to this meet.
Really look forward to listening to higher end gear and just learn a bunch in general about head fi.

I'll also bring my humble Fidelio X2 if I can make it.
Could also bring my HE-400s, HD650 and a Schiit stack (Vali 2 & Modi 2).

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #62 of 297
  I'm really new to all this, so it'll be great if I can make it to this meet.
Really look forward to listening to higher end gear and just learn a bunch in general about head fi.

I'll also bring my humble Fidelio X2 if I can make it.
Could also bring my HE-400s, HD650 and a Schiit stack (Vali 2 & Modi 2).

I don't know if anyone is already bringing one, but I'd definitely be interested in listening to Vali 2.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #63 of 297

I don't know if anyone is already bringing one, but I'd definitely be interested in listening to Vali 2.

I am bringing amps (pretty sure with the first few, and gets a little fuzzy with the last few):

1. Vali 2
  2. Asgard 2
  3. Valhalla 2
  4. Liquid Carbon
  5. Sonett

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #64 of 297
  I am bringing amps (pretty sure with the first few, and gets a little fuzzy with the last few):

1. Vali 2
  2. Asgard 2
  3. Valhalla 2
  4. Liquid Carbon
  5. Sonett

Oh man, I've always wanted to listen to the Sonett!  Hopefully it will work out.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #65 of 297
  You can always just bring a laptop and ask  people if you may plug the DACs into. Just remember to install drivers in advance as DAC driver hell is real and happened at the last mini meet.

Yeah that sucked. On my laptop the Windows 10 upgrade kind of broke DSD playback via foobar, and I had just gotten things more or less sorted in time for the mini meet. Tried to install the drivers for the Ayre Codex that was there, then during that process it prompted me to uninstall any existing ASIO drivers, and I was like "efff that, I give up."

If I make it this time (probable but not definite) I'll be bringing my TEAC UD-301 DAC/amp among other things. Can use it as a standalone unit for low/normal impedance cans, or output to the Bottlehead Crack & HD650 combo. Drivers for the TEAC are here if anyone wants to connect their laptop:
http://www.teac.com/product/ud-301/downloads/

I know I like the 990s but if somebody else could bring some mid-fi around that prize range for us, poor people who can't afford hi end, that'd be really cool and I'd really appreciate it.

I'll try to remember to bring my AKG K553s. They're something like $120-ish when available through Massdrop, really good sound for the money IMO. The stock headband pad sucks but a $4 ebay replacement has made them comfortable enough for 2-3 hour listening stints at the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I mean is I think the DAC in a $2300 Yggdrasil is probably something worth listening to, and not bypassing it with an iPod.

Sure, as long as the Yggy was kept on a hotplate under a vicuña blanket during its ride to the library.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #66 of 297

Oh man, I've always wanted to listen to the Sonett!  Hopefully it will work out.

Mind you mine is the low end, though others are bringing the Sonett 2 and the Stratus.
I'm looking forward to hearing those 
biggrin.gif

I'll try to remember to bring my AKG K553s. They're something like $120-ish when available through Massdrop, really good sound for the money IMO. The stock headband pad sucks but a $4 ebay replacement has made them comfortable enough for 2-3 hour listening stints at the office.

Quote:
Sure, as long as the Yggy was kept on a hotplate under a vicuña blanket during its ride to the library.
tongue_smile.gif

I think it makes so much sense to bring the everyday stuff along with the unobtanium.
And I think the folks bringing Yggy have the fires of Vulan burning day and night to keep them warm. What they need is the strength of Atlas to bring them to the meet 
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #67 of 297
  I agree - kinda miss many elements of my Q701 headphones. I had to get the K7XX.

Speaking of, that was rather my point to bringing my pile of silver Schiit. I sold my TH-X00,

I was hoping to hear the TH-X00...

I'll bring headphones X2, TH-x00, & HD600.

And just when I thought it won't happen, @Billheiser comes through!

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #68 of 297
Excited to hear the yggy. DAC is the weakest part of my setup.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #69 of 297
@TimeLord - FedEx I'm losing faith in. They just parked at my house for 30 seconds, and marked the Sonett as undeliverable today.
But ye must have a little faith in your fellow head-fiers 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #70 of 297
Thanks guys! Testing a bunch of different headphones I can and can't afford is going to be awesome! I can bring the Schiit stack 2 and the Q701 with me if somebody is interested, though I'm pretty sure somebody else is bringing the stack.

Also, are girlfriends allowed? :p

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #71 of 297
  @TimeLord - FedEx I'm losing faith in. They just parked at my house for 30 seconds, and marked the Sonett as undeliverable today.
But ye must have a little faith in your fellow head-fiers 
wink.gif

Did the driver even get out of the vehicle and knock?

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #74 of 297
It's a pretty quiet neighborhood. Anything with a diesel motor gets noticed, particularly at that time of night.

I was sitting in my sunroom, working - heard him first drive up the street. I promptly re-opened my kitchen blinds to let out some light, and watched for him to return back down the street. This was 9pm. I waited about 5 minutes, before returning to my work. At 9:30, he drives around the corner - recall that it is quiet and I can hear him. I can also see his lights on the street from my sunroom. I go back to my front door, open it, eager to greet the late weary traveler. I heard his motor running for the 30 seconds and then drive off into the night. Mind you, I normally don't have a car parked in my driveway, but tonight I did. The light in my sunroom still on, the car in my driveway, my front door wide open as he should have seen me had he walked around the corner - in short, there was nothing to indicate that my house was empty. I walked outside to see if he'd just left it at my garage door, though it requires a signature - nope. I came back in and checked the shipping status, which was reported to FedEx that no one was there to receive the package. He'd parked just long enough to change the status.

Yes @TimeLord - FedEx Ground.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #75 of 297
Also, are girlfriends allowed? :p

Doesn't trust you, eh? I think once she sees what we do, it'll lay her fears to rest. I usually find that hi-fi has the same effect on females as the standard issue glasses in the Army - the BCG's or 'birth control glasses'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back