DC Area Head-Fi Meet Planning (ongoing)
Feb 7, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #197 of 412
Hi All! Not sure if this is the right place to post, but was wondering if anyone in the DMV area knew of a good place to get some headphones recabled? While I'm at it, what are the best stores in the area that sell high-end audio equipment? I live in DC and have had trouble finding any nice audio stores to browse and audition gear.
JS Audio, Gifted Listener and Gramophone are a few stores in the area. Though if you're looking to connect with people locally, highly recommend talking to @willsw and getting over to Linear Tube Audio. He might be able to help you with your cable issue and show you a few headphones and high-end audio equipment.

Meets are also a good place to see the latest Schiit and what other people use - much of it purchased online or in sale forums.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #199 of 412
Hi All! Not sure if this is the right place to post, but was wondering if anyone in the DMV area knew of a good place to get some headphones recabled? While I'm at it, what are the best stores in the area that sell high-end audio equipment? I live in DC and have had trouble finding any nice audio stores to browse and audition gear.
Recabled? You can try hitting up @willsw at LTA.

For headphone related gear auditions, there's a couple of good options that have an assortment of gear. LTA has their own amps as well as a number of DACs and headphones. What exactly they have can vary depending on what they have on loan/sell at a given time. If you reach out they will definitely give you a rundown.

Other options are Command Performance AV in Falls Church. They had more headphone stuff, but I think its mostly down to some Mr Speaker/Dan Clark Audio stuff and Focal.

Then there's Gramophone out in Gaithersburg. Historically they had some Audeze & Focal mostly with some other stuff. That was a year or so ago so it may be different now.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #200 of 412
Zbell contacted me and I might be able to help him out, but I also referred him to @HiGHFLYiN9 who runs Zynsonix out of Baltimore and has much more experience when it comes to headphone modification and recabling. Mentioning it here because he's a good resource for DC-area folks to be aware of.

LTA often has neat stuff but that neat stuff can often be lent or sold or otherwise unavailable, so if you are visiting you should call or send an email to make sure what you're looking for will be there. Everyone there is also always happy for you to bring your own amp or any other gear if you're interested in headphones or a DAC or whatever else.

I also realized that Head-fi changed and stopped emailing me notifications. I hope I've fixed that now.

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #201 of 412
Thanks for the plug :) I don't have a storefront but people are welcome to meet me at my office or call to discuss.

I've been to LTA several times, it's an excellent place to audition their amps and a variety of other great gear. Just be forewarned you will probably find something there you can't live without :wink:

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #202 of 412
I always send my cables away to get re-cabled. David at http://tritonaudiocables.com/ (Triton Audio Cables) doesn't live in DC, but he lives near by and has re-terminated some of my more expensive stuff really well and is fast and nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back