DC Area Head-Fi Meet Planning (ongoing)
Oct 26, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #181 of 412
Hey all,

For those of you who went to the Capital Audio Fest in prior years, is the focus completely on full-room audio systems, or do they also have headphone/IEM representation there?
Historically, there was headphone representation, but not that much of late after that section of the event didn't get a lot of coordination and planning. There will be some such as LTA's setup courtesy of @willsw . Sometimes there's a rogue headphone amp or headphone, but its not the norm.

Any representation will be mostly full size headphones/headamps. I would expect IEMs to be next to nada, but I haven't checked the exhibitors list recently for IEMs.

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #182 of 412
Historically, there was headphone representation, but not that much of late after that section of the event didn't get a lot of coordination and planning. There will be some such as LTA's setup courtesy of @willsw . Sometimes there's a rogue headphone amp or headphone, but its not the norm.

Any representation will be mostly full size headphones/headamps. I would expect IEMs to be next to nada, but I haven't checked the exhibitors list recently for IEMs.

Too bad, I checked the vendors and didn't see any large companies from the IEM/Headphone world, but I was hopefully that maybe there was a local store coordinating with all the big brands :frowning2:.

I only briefly cruised through this thread, is December the approximate date for this years meet-up? I had a great time going last year and I don't want to miss it.

Oct 26, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #183 of 412
The level of headphone participation has varied from year-to-year. But please come join the group, sure to by nearby the LTA table. A few of the regulars will be there, and it seems there will be plenty to see and hear!

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #184 of 412
Too bad, I checked the vendors and didn't see any large companies from the IEM/Headphone world, but I was hopefully that maybe there was a local store coordinating with all the big brands :frowning2:.

I only briefly cruised through this thread, is December the approximate date for this years meet-up? I had a great time going last year and I don't want to miss it.

As mentioned, CAF has had inconsistent results with headphone vendors in the past. The core organizers are great but have no time to expand their reach to headphone stuff. They really need someone willing to put in the effort to contact headphone-related companies, get them to commit to the show, and get them to stay committed long enough to get other companies to jump on the bandwagon. It's a lot of work and pays very little, but at the end you can have a great audio show. If anyone loves headphone, organizing events, and talking on the phone, you should try to join the fun for next year!

LTA is bringing iBasso DAPs (LTA's distribution wing, Urban HiFi, is now the US distributor for iBasso), but due to logistical constraints we are not bringing any IEMs. If you would like to listen to iBasso IEMs, you're welcome to set up a time to come by the shop. IEMs have very specific and relatively laborious showing needs, so in most cases it's only realistic for IEM companies to exhibit them.

Headamp has a good IEM selection and should have a pretty sizable setup in the Marketplace. You might try contacting them if there's a specific type you'd like to try.

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #185 of 412
It wouldn't hurt for all the headphone enthusiasts in attendance to mention their interests to the organizers. Especially if they have a review/survey available (so we don't hound Gary too much during his busiest time)

I'm willing to participate in a team to put this together for next year. any others interested in a team effort?

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #186 of 412
It wouldn't hurt for all the headphone enthusiasts in attendance to mention their interests to the organizers. Especially if they have a review/survey available (so we don't hound Gary too much during his busiest time)

I'm willing to participate in a team to put this together for next year. any others interested in a team effort?

Is anyone an active member of the DC Audiophile Facebook group? I don't know if they have a booth or anything at CAF this year, but it seems like utilizing that group for the poll could be useful.

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #187 of 412
I'm hoping that having at least one headphone vendor at the show next year will help attract some of these other companies. I attempted to organize and get vendors on board for a couple of years and it seemed like most of them were just waiting for another company to jump in before they were willing to commit to the show. I know the organizers want to grow that part of the show but its been difficult to get vendors interested in years past. I suggest bugging the vendors you like regularly to ask if they are going to attend CAF to try to encourage them, maybe if they see more questions about it, that will drum up more interest.

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #188 of 412
I suggest bugging the vendors you like regularly to ask if they are going to attend CAF to try to encourage them, maybe if they see more questions about it, that will drum up more interest.

This is true. If more than two people email asking about the same thing, it will usually at least get a mention to management.

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #189 of 412
We're here in the Atrium off to the left side having a great day of listening.

DSC_7571.JPG
DSC_7572.JPG
DSC_7573.JPG
DSC_7576.JPG

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 2, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #190 of 412
Did I miss a meetup???

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #193 of 412
Just a friends heads up as we head into the winter season! I'm currently in the works of planning a meet in December. I'll post here when details are locked in, but what I can say is that we'll be targeting the weekend of Dec 14th - 15th (don't know if Saturday or Sunday yet), so feel free to put down a soft commitment on your calendar!

It will be a new venue with lots of space and plenty of outlets! A group of members in the area are also working on a couple experiences that we'll be looking forward to share with everyone. This will include setups that will allow active switching between dacs and amplifiers (yes with proper level matching) so we can provide the best and unique experience for people in the community.

Once I have details locked, you can expect a new thread to pop up and I'll be sure to post here with the thread.

Cheers

Feb 7, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #195 of 412
Hi All! Not sure if this is the right place to post, but was wondering if anyone in the DMV area knew of a good place to get some headphones recabled? While I'm at it, what are the best stores in the area that sell high-end audio equipment? I live in DC and have had trouble finding any nice audio stores to browse and audition gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back