DC Area Head-Fi Meet Planning (ongoing)
Jan 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 412

kendavis

100+ Head-Fier
Jan 28, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 412
A thread about threads. I like it 
tongue.gif

I believe this is to benefit @mralexosborn. So what's of interest to hear? Tubes? Solid-state? The latest word in R2R? A particular headphone? 

Logistics-wise, I think we're getting better at this 
biggrin.gif

There are several libraries available on the VA side, which are easier to schedule than the BIG-MEET library. And depending on availability, many of us have been quite happy to head to Urban HiFi on the MD side. It's not straight off the highways, but it is quite nice! And there are many good places to eat nearby, if anyone wants to try for a lunch before or a dinner after.

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 412
There appear to be rooms at the Bethesda library, but limited to 8 people, and 2 hours. Gaithersburg seems to have rooms for up to 12 people, but it is not clear from their web filter, which lists largest rooms at 5-8 people. Perhaps try for Gaithersburg, and find out what rooms are like?

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 412
There are rooms to rent in the Silver Spring Civic Building at Veterans Plaza. Even the smallest rooms are large enough to host a pretty large* headphone event. At $25/hour, a 4-hour event at $8-$10 per person (maybe less if enough people come) might be feasible. I don't have the time now to set this up or to research it. I just wanted to throw another option into the mix. I have attached their documentation if anyone else wants to have a look.  
*Colesville Room or Ellsworth Room (divided): 24x27 (648 sq ft), standing: 32-60, conference style: 20-30, reception: 30-45

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 412
  A thread about threads. I like it 
tongue.gif

I believe this is to benefit @mralexosborn. So what's of interest to hear? Tubes? Solid-state? The latest word in R2R? A particular headphone? 

Logistics-wise, I think we're getting better at this 
biggrin.gif

There are several libraries available on the VA side, which are easier to schedule than the BIG-MEET library. And depending on availability, many of us have been quite happy to head to Urban HiFi on the MD side. It's not straight off the highways, but it is quite nice! And there are many good places to eat nearby, if anyone wants to try for a lunch before or a dinner after.

Tubes are my primary interest. No headphones particularly but having been out of the loop for a while, I'd be interested to hear any newer models. I'd be able to bring a pair of HE-400's and maybe even my vintage Sansui. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 412
It would be helpful to know how many people would benefit from a location in Gaithersburg, MD rather than one of the Beltway communities. Will we draw Head-Fiers from say Frederick MD, as well as locations closer to the Beltway if we locate further north along I-270? Weekend traffic in the winter is not a hassle but weekday rush hours are brutal no matter where anyone is coming from, so I think a Saturday get together makes the most sense around here.

Some suburban Maryland options -

GLEN ECHO PARK, BETHESDA , MD

I looked at the rental rates for Glen Echo, a National Arts Park in MD that is really close to the American Legion Bridge crossing the Potomac, and they start at $140 for 4 hours for a room that will hold 30 people.

https://glenechopark.org/rentals-pricing

THE KENTLANDS, GAITHERSBURG, MD

Checking around for availability to hold a listening session further north in Gaithersburg, MD it looks like we can use the Carriage House in the Kentlands without any rental or cleaning charge, so long as we don't have a lot of trash, meal leftovers and the like.

321 Kent Square Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 20878

Hours: 9 AM to 9 PM

This small building can hold 30+ people and has tables, chairs, good amount of power outlets. Free on street parking. One advantage is that the Kentlands has a wide variety of restaurants in the community, including a very good and very inexpensive sushi restaurant. The Kentlands is a very nice planned community (New Urbanism) to go for a walk around before or after the meeting for those who are so inclined.

http://www.kentlandsusa.com/amenity.asp?id=4

http://www.kentlandstowncrier.com/venue/carriage-house/

MONTGOMERY COUNTY LIBRARIES, MD

We would qualify for the Local Non-Profit Group Hourly Rate if we opt for using a meeting room at one of the libraries in Montgomery County, MD, budgeting $15 per hour. Most have free parking for two hours.

http://montgomerycountymd.gov/library/branches/index.html

Some of the closest to VA branches are closed for renovation. The closest one to VA would be in Potomac, which has the real advantage of hassle-free no-fee parking. Downside is that food options in that location are limited to a few overpriced restaurants and pizza and beer joints. Very close-by Vie De France bakery has pastries, sandwiches and very decent coffee but no seating area.

Potomac Library
10101 Glenolden Drive 
Potomac, MD 20854 

Monday    10 am–8 pm
Tuesday    10 am–8 pm
Wednesday    10 am–8 pm
Thursday    10 am–8 pm
Friday    10 am–6 pm
Saturday    10 am–6 pm
Sunday    Closed

Facility Amenities

1. Small meeting rooms (in some locations) seat up to 49 people
  2. Medium meeting rooms seat from 50 - 99 people
  3. Large meeting rooms may seat 100 - 160 people
  4. Table, chairs and projection screens are available
  5. Pianos are available at Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Gaithersburg, Marilyn J. Praisner, Rockville, and Twinbrook

Room Type
Local Government Agencies
Hourly Rate

Local
Non-Profit Groups *
Hourly Rate

Out-of-County/
For-Profit Groups
Hourly Rate

Small Room
$11
$15
$30
Medium Room
$14
$20
$40
Large Room
$19
$25
$50
* Montgomery County based non-profit organizations

Activity Restriction

1. To be eligible to use a Montgomery County Library meeting room all meetings must be free and open to the public - private events such as birthday parties, weddings, receptions, etc. are not permitted in libraries.
  2. Light snacks and beverages are permitted in the meeting room only; meals and heated foods are not allowed.
  3. Please review the  Rules and Regulations prior to applying for use.

Apply for Use Permit

1. Go to Active MONTGOMERY

Submission Window

Agency/Group TypeWindow 1 for use
Jan 1 - June 30
Window 2 for use
July 1 - Dec 31
Government AgenciesSubmit beginning September 15thSubmit beginning March 15th
Local Non-profit groupsSubmit beginning October 15thSubmit beginning April 15th
Out-of-County Non-profits
Commercial/For-profit groups
Submit beginning November 1stSubmit beginning May 1st

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #10 of 412
If there's a consensus for Gaithersburg, then I vote for the Carriage House. I'm all about free.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 412
  If there's a consensus for Gaithersburg, then I vote for the Carriage House. I'm all about free.

I am tending toward this location as well, even if it is a bit north of the Beltway, 20 or so minutes drive time. There is a lot more flexibility on hours and the surrounding area has lots of options for food and drinks. 

How about best dates and times for everyone? We should lock that in to make sure that any facility has availability.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 412
I'm good starting in March - 4th, 11th, 18th are all great weekends for me! Saturday and Sunday both work.
Would love to try the new place - sounds quite appealing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back