DC Area Head-Fi Meet - George Mason Regional Library - SUNDAY. APRIL 12, 2015 Noon-5 pm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #196 of 242
Sorry but not able to make it. I live down in Suffolk and had to work today. Thought I could get done early enough to drive up but couldn't. Hopefully make the next meet.

That's understandable and hopefully you can make CAF at the end of August.

Sorry I had to jet even earlier than expected but the little ran out of patience. Given we were waiting outside for ~30min before going in, I think she did really well.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #197 of 242
I had a great time at the meet today, thanks to all of the people helping set it up. I got to hear some awesome gear, and I had a great time. Highlights for me were the Stax 007, HE-6 w/mods and Krell amp, Beyer T1 and HD 800. I really enjoyed the Dharma too. Cool stuff all around. I look forwards to capitol audiofest
EDIT: Near the end of the meet my Vali pretty much died out. I thought a tube got blown. Got home and it is working just fine. Maybe it was running too hot, or the power supply got bumped out of the socket a bit. All is well

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #198 of 242
Pretty busy meet and and noisier than most. Didn't stop me from enjoying hearing different equipment, lots of interesting stuff this time. I liked the Taurus Auralic a lot and was also impressed with the Crack. I'm going to have to mod the WA3 to have direct coupled drivers...they sounded really good in the Crack. I've also got a new appreciation for the Lyr. :)

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #199 of 242
Great meet up today, much busier than the last one.  Glad I was able to check out almost everything I set out to other than the NAD Viso HP50, maybe next time.  Really enjoyed checking out some other headphones on my setup like the LCD-X, LCD-2, and the Beyer T1.  Enjoyed listening to the Dharma D1000 as well, very interesting can, has a very different sound from all the other stats I've heard in the past.  Also hope someone can bring a AKG K712 next time so I can compare them to my K7XX.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #200 of 242
Thanks to everyone. I'm always so impressed with the tremendous gear folks bring. I spent the most time with the Dharma and Hifiman 560 rigs. Those were the highlights for me! Also enjoyed the Hifiman 600 but didn't have as much time with it.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #201 of 242
  Thanks to everyone. I'm always so impressed with the tremendous gear folks bring. I spent the most time with the Dharma and Hifiman 560 rigs.  The Dharma has a unique and special sound IMO. Those were the highlights for me! Also enjoyed the Hifiman 600 but didn't have as much time with it.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #202 of 242
I had a great time. The new hybrid electrostatic/dynamic Dharma was pretty fascinating, and I am super happy to have finally had the chance to hear the T1, HD800, and TH900.  There was also some sort of custom fostex T50RP mod that was really crazy-looking but actually had this very interesting sound that had me listening for a while. 

I was also really excited to see a modded HE-6, which was interesting and pretty cool. I'm considering modding mine now - we'll see.   

All in all just really excited by so much variety. The last head-fi meet I went to was a long time ago and I had much less exposure to headphones then. It was great coming back now with more experience and more of an idea of what I really like and what I look for. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #203 of 242
It was nice to talk with everyone, and was great to hear the sr-007 mk. 1 in person. Hopefully for the next meet ill have a system i can bring with me, yggy and some amps. Im glad that you guys enjoyed my cans regsrdless of the fact i couldnt vring my reference system.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #204 of 242
Good meet!  Lots of people which is great (except for listening to open headphones).  Didn't get around to listen that much and I missed a lot, but enjoyed listening and hanging with folks in my corner of the room.  
Some cell phone pictures:

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #205 of 242
My first meet - definitely fun!

Sorry for the guy who wanted to hear the NAD Viso HP50. I brought them, but my setup wasn't ideal. They basically spent time in a bag with the other cheap phones and USB DACs, while most people listened to the HD650 on the off-color Schiit stack. I definitely saw some other setups and have ideas how to let people just come by and listen. Next time!

Thoroughly enjoyed everything I heard, and hope my wallet won't take too much of a hit. Didn't get a chance to try out too many other amps with the HD650, but man did they sing on the WA3! I also loved the Denon phones I heard, which I would have bought last night if they still sold them.

I heard a lot of other neat things. But it was simply great to get off the computer, out the house, and listen - and talk to you guys in person. It was a great meet indeed!

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #206 of 242
I just wish I was able to spend more time, the drive down, drive back, and hour waiting for the library to open sucked up most of the time I had available to visit.  If there was anyone else who wanted to listen to my crack, I'm sorry I had to bail.

I did find the rigs that people brought to be quite impressive.  I didn't do much listening out of fear for my wallet...  I did want to listen to the Dharma, but never quite had the chance.

It was nice meeting you all, next time we should do name tags with real names and screen names. 

-Dan

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #207 of 242
It was great to finally make it to one of these meets and chat with folks and listen to a bunch of different gear. I didn't quite get to hear everything (missed the HD800s and the Dharmas) but I guess that leaves something to look forward to for next time. I did get some time on various Hifiman cans that I hadn't heard before, and accomplished my primary mission of listening to my HD650s on Crack so thanks to the two guys who brought those. As luck would have it, Bottlehead is running a sale through Friday with the Speedball priced at just $20 more, so I ordered the kit last night.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #208 of 242
  It was great to finally make it to one of these meets and chat with folks and listen to a bunch of different gear. I didn't quite get to hear everything (missed the HD800s and the Dharmas) but I guess that leaves something to look forward to for next time. I did get some time on various Hifiman cans that I hadn't heard before, and accomplished my primary mission of listening to my HD650s on Crack so thanks to the two guys who brought those. As luck would have it, Bottlehead is running a sale through Friday with the Speedball priced at just $20 more, so I ordered the kit last night.

Congrats on getting a Crack, mine was a fun build.  Take your time, be careful, and voltage test with one hand...

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #209 of 242
So when is the next one?  
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #210 of 242
Had a real good time at my first purely headphone meet. I learned that I really love the sound of my DT990's so I will stick with those, and get Premium versions later on, and that my dream headphones are the Audeze LCD 2's. The planar magnetics as a whole just have so much bass and musicality. Also surprised at how well my and several others smaller and cheaper amps drove big headphones with relative ease. The LCD 2's barely made my amp sweat and sounded amazing. Thanks to everyone for sharing their gear. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back