DC Area Head-Fi Meet - George Mason Regional Library - SUNDAY. APRIL 12, 2015 Noon-5 pm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #166 of 242
Apr 11, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #167 of 242
Sorry guys but all I can bring this time is my new Fiio X5.

I will be purchasing the Sennheiser IE800s or Audeze EL8s before summer

PS- I used to own the IE800s except that the driver was deffective, I sent it back and they didn't send me a replacement :frowning2: I guess I can use this opportunity now to find out if the EL8s are worthy enough for me

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #170 of 242
  How would you compare the AKG 7XX to the DT990's? Please tell me you are bringing them, would love to hear them and see if I prefer them over the DT990's. 

Yep, they will be there with me.  I definitely prefer the K7XX because I generally prefer a slightly warm sound signature.  The K7XX is a darker headphone, much smoother treble, and great low end extension to my ears.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #171 of 242
How's the soundstage? I like speaker like soundstage, lots of detail, overall a bright signature with great bass. The DT990's are pretty good in that regards, with treble being a little piercing at times. That's why I am wondering if I should get the 600ohm Premium version or something like the AKG 7xx. Can't wait to try them. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #172 of 242
Hey guys, I don't own a laptop so I borrowed a friend's.   

It's got Spotify and about 70GB free for various flac albums to be played in Foobar that I'm copying over.  

I'm trying to put in a good representation of a variety of genres and things I think people would find familiar or useful for getting different sounds & styles.   

Any suggestions, or anything in particular you'd want to hear on a laptop > Benchmark DAC1 USB > Crown DT75a > HifiMan He-6 & Sennheiser HD650 setup?  

My selection's not totally infinite (and limited by space) but I've got about a terabyte backed up on my own PC right now so I could probably meet most requests within reason if there are any. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #173 of 242
  How's the soundstage? I like speaker like soundstage, lots of detail, overall a bright signature with great bass. The DT990's are pretty good in that regards, with treble being a little piercing at times. That's why I am wondering if I should get the 600ohm Premium version or something like the AKG 7xx. Can't wait to try them. 

Soundstage is definitely more intimate, DT990 has more air because of the spike around 14k, but it seems like artificial space.  I don't have a good pair of speakers setup to compare to, so I don't really have a way to tell if its "speaker-like" or not. I have heard a lot about the NAD Viso HP50 being speaker-like in its sound, I believe someone is bringing them to the meet.  I think you might really like my EL-8C if you like the DT990.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #174 of 242

Hmm. Perhaps you'll like the HE-400 that I'm bringing. I'll take offers on it, if anyone is interested. It's acceptable practice to sell gear at these, right?

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #175 of 242
  Hey guys, I don't own a laptop so I borrowed a friend's.   

It's got Spotify and about 70GB free for various flac albums to be played in Foobar that I'm copying over.  

I'm trying to put in a good representation of a variety of genres and things I think people would find familiar or useful for getting different sounds & styles.   

Any suggestions, or anything in particular you'd want to hear on a laptop > Benchmark DAC1 USB > Crown DT75a > HifiMan He-6 & Sennheiser HD650 setup?  

My selection's not totally infinite (and limited by space) but I've got about a terabyte backed up on my own PC right now so I could probably meet most requests within reason if there are any. 

Great...we can use USB drive, if we want to hear and compare with music we are used to.

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #177 of 242
I'm going to try and make it...although I may only be able to get there by 1:00. 

Amp: Mcintosh MHA100

Headphones: Audeze LCD-XC and McIntosh MHP1000

DAC: exaSound e22

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #178 of 242
I'm going to try and make it...although I may only be able to get there by 1:00. 

I've always been curious to hear McIntosh gear. It will be interesting to see how they handle a headphone amp.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #179 of 242
I signed up for the Tidal demo and have it working on my ipad--my load should be light. Ooops, other than the Rag, which weighs a ton. At least my headphones are light--errr, nevermind.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #180 of 242

Awesome to hear that you'll be bringing the Mac gear. That's one headphone and amp combo I wish I had spent more time listening to in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back