DC Area Head-Fi Meet - George Mason Regional Library - SUNDAY. APRIL 12, 2015 Noon-5 pm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #211 of 242
Thanks everyone for coming--I had an awesome time hanging out with everyone. Sorry for the mix-up with the opening time, it wasn't clear when the system let me choose a Noon starting time, and confirmed it. We should go back to Saturdays for future meets--if I can beat out the Lego guys for a room. I wasn't able to listen to at least half of the things on my list, and it was noisy, but it was a great meet.

I always love the DIY stuff and Grinding Thud's Super Symmetry Dynalo sounded great with the LCD-2s--super clean and controlled.

Thanks Mark for bringing the amazing selection of gear, including the Dharma. The Dharma has a unique sound signature and I look forward the hearing the production version. The streaming DAC and the amp were also really nice--and everything is priced well.

I enjoyed the HE-560 on the Gustard--the amp seems to add the right amount of warmth to the signature.

Ragnarok vs. Auralic Taurus; Thanks Byrnie for bringing the Taurus--I think it's a great sounding amp that runs a bit brighter than neutral and has a slightly aggressive sound that stopped short of any harshness with the LCD-Xs. The Rag runs a bit warmer than neutral and has a softer sound.

EL-8-closed:  These are beautiful cans, I love the direction Audeze went for the industrial design. I thought they sounded good for a closed phone, but I didn't get a chance for a thorough listen with a variety of music.

Finally got a chance to hear the T1's and liked them way more than I expected.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #213 of 242
I feel like the T1s made a lot of strong impressions. They weren't what I expected at all. I thought they would be cold sounding. They just felt incredibly neutral, just a tad light on bass. They didn't sound harsh to me, and soundstage depth was impressive. I would need to listen to the HD800 and T1 in a quiet environment for an extended listen to know which I like more. Too bad that's a rare service to find :p

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #214 of 242
I feel like the T1s made a lot of strong impressions. They weren't what I expected at all. I thought they would be cold sounding. They just felt incredibly neutral, just a tad light on bass. They didn't sound harsh to me, and soundstage depth was impressive. I would need to listen to the HD800 and T1 in a quiet environment for an extended listen to know which I like more. Too bad that's a rare service to find :p

Definitely a lot of Beyer T1s floating around at this meet.  I counted at least 3.  It was by far the most neutral Beyer I have heard.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #215 of 242
For some reason, seeing it online, the Beyer T1 never interested me at all. No idea why, I guess it just didn't seem exotic or something?  

But seeing and hearing it at a meet, well that was a really very nice headphone. Looked great, felt great, sounded very nice. It might not be the most perfect thing ever, but I can't think of any flaws it had, either.   

Also, I second the idea of nametags for the next meet. And I liked the idea one participant had to put labels on the table by his gear.  

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #216 of 242
  It was great to finally make it to one of these meets and chat with folks and listen to a bunch of different gear. I didn't quite get to hear everything (missed the HD800s and the Dharmas) but I guess that leaves something to look forward to for next time. I did get some time on various Hifiman cans that I hadn't heard before, and accomplished my primary mission of listening to my HD650s on Crack so thanks to the two guys who brought those. As luck would have it, Bottlehead is running a sale through Friday with the Speedball priced at just $20 more, so I ordered the kit last night.

There is a 10% discount if you buy 2-10 Cracks if anyone else wanted to buy it.

From the Bottlehead website - DISCOUNTS: When you buy 1 > Regular Price: $279.00USD • When you buy 2-9 > Sale Price: $251.10USD • Save: $27.90USD (10%)! • When you buy 10 or more > Sale Price: $237.15USD • Save: $41.85USD (15%)!

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #217 of 242
  For some reason, seeing it online, the Beyer T1 never interested me at all. No idea why, I guess it just didn't seem exotic or something?  

But seeing and hearing it at a meet, well that was a really very nice headphone. Looked great, felt great, sounded very nice. It might not be the most perfect thing ever, but I can't think of any flaws it had, either.   

Also, I second the idea of nametags for the next meet. And I liked the idea one participant had to put labels on the table by his gear.  

You guys are making me want to stop reading about other headphones and just enjoy my T1's.  Thanks.  I really mean that too.

As for comparing the HD800 and the T1, I can't help with the HD800, but I'd be happy to supply my Crack and T1 for that test.  Heck I'd love to hear the HD800 off my Crack and AK120ii.  I have a feeling that would be a nice combo.  Of course I really SHOULDN'T do that since I should just enjoy my darn T1's and stop thinking about other headphones....

Of course I'd love to try this test somewhere north of DC...  God I hate the traffic getting though DC.  And it was a Sunday!

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #219 of 242
  Of course I'd love to try this test somewhere north of DC...  God I hate the traffic getting though DC.  And it was a Sunday!

+1. Traffic getting back north was terrible. I had a soccer game that I thought I'd have plenty of time to make, but ended up missing it entirely. I'd be interested in another meet/mini-meet north of DC. 

I was in the corner with the Gustard H10, rosewood LCD 2Fs, HE-560s, and DT880s. Name tags and gear signs next time for sure. It was really nice to hear the Gungnir through my HE-560 + H10. A new DAC will be my next purchase for sure! I probably should have mentioned this before the meet, but if anyone is interested, I'm going to sell the LCD-2F with Q Audio Silk cable for $700 cash (or plus shipping/paypal, but I think a local sale would benefit everyone). I'm in Baltimore, but will to meet somewhere south (like Columbia). Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

PS. I'm VERY temped to buy a Crack+speedball and HD650. With some luck/effort, that combo can currently be had for under $600. Pretty astounding.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #220 of 242
  +1. Traffic getting back north was terrible. I had a soccer game that I thought I'd have plenty of time to make, but ended up missing it entirely. I'd be interested in another meet/mini-meet north of DC. 

I was in the corner with the Gustard H10, rosewood LCD 2Fs, HE-560s, and DT880s. Name tags and gear signs next time for sure. It was really nice to hear the Gungnir through my HE-560 + H10. A new DAC will be my next purchase for sure! I probably should have mentioned this before the meet, but if anyone is interested, I'm going to sell the LCD-2F with Q Audio Silk cable for $700 cash (or plus shipping/paypal, but I think a local sale would benefit everyone). I'm in Baltimore, but will to meet somewhere south (like Columbia). Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

PS. I'm VERY temped to buy a Crack+speedball and HD650. With some luck/effort, that combo can currently be had for under $600. Pretty astounding.

Argghhh! The traffic back to MD killed me. There was an accident on 495, and another one RIGHT AT MY EXIT. If anyone has ideas about other venues, please post 'em. Hard to beat the free room at the library, though.

If two of you buy the Crack+Speedball at the same time, you can get it for $271--that's a killer deal. I spent a few hours listening to my Crack+HD650 last night, since I just installed the Speedball. This setup completely blows me away. The HD650's have been available for close to $300 lately, so you don't need to spend a fortune to have one of the best systems in head-fi.

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #221 of 242

Argghhh! The traffic back to MD killed me. There was an accident on 495, and another one RIGHT AT MY EXIT. If anyone has ideas about other venues, please post 'em. Hard to beat the free room at the library, though.

If two of you buy the Crack+Speedball at the same time, you can get it for $271--that's a killer deal. I spent a few hours listening to my Crack+HD650 last night, since I just installed the Speedball. This setup completely blows me away. The HD650's have been available for close to $300 lately, so you don't need to spend a fortune to have one of the best systems in head-fi.

The library just down the road from my house has a similar sized room that our civic association and HOA use for meetings.  I'll look into what it takes to reserve it (is it free, for how long, etc...)  I don't know how much interest a meet near Arundel Mills would have, but it's pretty central for the DC & Baltimore people.  It would suck for the NOVA people though...  As much as yesterday's traffic sucked for me...

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #222 of 242
It was my first time at a Head-Fi meet. Thank you all for making me feel welcome.

Thanks to Br[iy]an for lending me a power cable.

Thanks to Sheldaze for letting me try my old Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 with his Schiit tube amp and his MacBook with optical output.  He was very generous with his time and his equipment.

Dave

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #223 of 242

Yep. I'd like a closed-back can so I'm trying to buy some DT-150s. But if I go to a balanced amp for the HE-560s (Gustard H20 when it's released), I'll want a SE amp to drive the DT-150.

That's my long-winded way of saying, is anyone else interested in a Crack "group buy?"

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #224 of 242
Yep. I'd like a closed-back can so I'm trying to buy some DT-150s. But if I go to a balanced amp for the HE-560s (Gustard H20 when it's released), I'll want a SE amp to drive the DT-150.

That's my long-winded way of saying, is anyone else interested in a Crack "group buy?"

I just joined so I can respond... I'm in DC and want to buy one. I'd be in for part of a group buy.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #225 of 242

The library just down the road from my house has a similar sized room that our civic association and HOA use for meetings.  I'll look into what it takes to reserve it (is it free, for how long, etc...)  I don't know how much interest a meet near Arundel Mills would have, but it's pretty central for the DC & Baltimore people.  It would suck for the NOVA people though...  As much as yesterday's traffic sucked for me...

The Anne Arundel County libraries charge $50 for a "less than 5 hour" meeting.  Since I spent $10 driving to and from Annandale, I'd be interested in exploring this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back