dbpowerAMP vs EAC [flac]
Sep 14, 2009 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

billybobjr

New Head-Fier
I've been ripping all my CDs with dbpowerAMP into FLAC i'm just wondering if this program is 100%, as i've been hearing alot about EAC.
So does anyone know if they both rip at the same quality?

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 13
If a rip is verified by AccurateRip then there will be no difference between that rip and what you'd get from EAC. However, if a rip is not verified by AccurateRip or is not in the AccurateRip database then you'll want to make sure that the "Seucure" mode is enabled in dBpoweramp. Secure mode is the mode that does error correction and does its best to get a good rip even from a bad CD. But the free version of dBpoweramp does not enable the Secure mode. To get Secure mode you need to pay.

The advantage to dBpoweramp is that the paid for version can pull in metadata from many different sources. That makes ripping lots of CDs easier and faster because you don't have to make as many manual corrections to the tagging data. The secure mode and ultra secure mode in dBpoweramp is on par with (sometimes better than sometimes worse than) EAC when ripping scratched or damaged CDs.

If you're using the free version of dBpoweramp it would be better to switch over to EAC. EAC will do error correction on rips for free. EAC can also verify against the AccurateRip database just like dBpoweramp.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybobjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been ripping all my CDs with dbpowerAMP into FLAC i'm just wondering if this program is 100%, as i've been hearing alot about EAC.
So does anyone know if they both rip at the same quality?

I've ripped over 2500 CDs and used EAC, dBpoweramp and J. River media Center.

I compared a number of files from CDs ripped with dBpoweramp and J. River MC. Not listening comparisons but comparing the audio stream bytes in the files.

My CD collection has been treated with adequate care so 95+ % of CDs are read without extra re-reads by any of these rippers. About 2-4 % CDs require extra reads on one or more tracks but were eventually ripped with confidence that they were accurate. I found no difference in files made by the 3 rippers for either of these two classes of files. I originally compared over 30 CDs in the first category and dozens in the second category. I periodically re-check to verify my results.

About 1% of my CDs have one or more tracks that can't be ripped with confidence. In almost every case, if one of the rippers could not rip a track, the other rippers could not either. For one problem CD, I was able to rip the bad track with J. River MC by limiting the maximum speed and unable to get a good rip from EAC or dBpoweramp. I continue to use all 3 rippers on problem disks.

If you have a collection with lots of scratched or otherwise mistreated CDs, you experience might be different.

If EAC or dBpoweramp finds a match in the Accurate Rip database, they can produce a secure rip in one pass. They would be faster than MC which always compares two reads in secure mode. Otherwise, I haven't seen much difference in speed for secure mode ripping.

---
I mostly use J. River MC now. I buy a lot of classical music and no online tag database put Composer, work name, artists) and movement names in tags the way I want them. MC's tag editing features let me input all the tag values I need very quickly and reliably.

Other people might choose EAC because it uses the Accurate Rip database, is free or has more users recommending it.

Others might choose dBpoweramp because it uses Accurate Rip database better than EAC or because its online databases are correct more often. Or because it allows them to enter tags beyond the standard set EAC supports.

Any of the three rippers will produce accurate rips almost all the time on well-treated CDs and tell you when they can't. There may be other rippers that produce equally good results but I have not compared them to the 3 rippers just discussed nor have I seen adequate comparisons by other people.

Bill

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterThanEver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've ripped over 2500 CDs and used EAC, dBpoweramp and J. River media Center.

I compared a number of files from CDs ripped with dBpoweramp and J. River MC. Not listening comparisons but comparing the audio stream bytes in the files.

What tool do you use to compare the audio data?

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 13
> What tool do you use to compare the audio data?

I used a simple file compare program at first to compare files made by EAC and MC . If the Flac compression level was the same and the tags were exactly the same, I got exactly the same Flac files. Apparently MC was treating the offset the same way as EAC and the command line Flac encoder was producing the same format as the Flac encoder in MC. (If they had not treated offsets the same way, I would have used methods to compare just the audio byte streams.)

Later I used the EAC tool for comparing WAVs.

Bill

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 13
I always felt like EAC produced better sounding rips than dBpoweramp.  On some music, I can hear the difference in a blind test.  I use dBpoweramp for conversion between formats or for extra tagging.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 13
X2. Lossless is lossless as long as the rip is verified the sound will be identical with either eic or dbpoweramp. Dbpoweramp always has been my choice as well.

Well I know that when I rip some albums with EAC and then rip them to the same exact format with dBpoweramp - both in secure mode - I can hear more details in the EAC rips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back