dbLogic EP-100 impressions/thread
Feb 22, 2013 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I got the dbLogic EP-100 about twelve hours ago, and I felt like posting my impressions of these. Keep in mind that it's 5AM here, and I'm a bit tired, so, apologies if I make any grammatical errors

The EP-100 can be had for around $20 on eBay, Amazon, etc.

Comes with a small plastic carrying case and three pair of bi-flange tips, each in different sizes.

This IEM uses SPL2 technology, which is apparently supposed to keep volume levels safe, and reduce distortion amounts.

The packaging is pretty simple- a cardboard backing with a plastic front.

Comfort - I was immediately disappointed in the comfort of these. The tips were really causing a significant itch inside of my ears. Since I don't really have other IEMs with a 2mm nozzle like these, I had to resort to some DIY memory foam tips (thread of these can be found here http://www.head-fi.org/t/383917/how-to-best-custom-tips-for-iems-ever-imho-with-pics
These are a lot more comfortable than the stock tips for me.

Build - I was somewhat disappointed here too. I understand that these are only $20 or so, but these are truly the cheapest feeling IEMs I've ever used, other than a few $2 ones from Chinese manufacturers.
The housing feels like it is made out of pretty cheap plastic.
Cable is thin, plasticky, and feels very prone to memory effects.

Isolation - I'm impressed here. With the 2mm nozzle, these can be inserted fairly deeply, which gives some good isolation.

Sound - I expected a bit more from these, but at the same time, I didn't.
The signature itself is similar to many consumer-oriented IEMs- warm sounding, with plenty of bass. There is an obvious bass bloat without proper EQ. I also found these to be somewhat dark in the treble region. With some EQing, I got the sound to be quite good. I lowered the 20-80 Hz about 2 db, lowered 128-500 about 3.5 db, and increased 4k-16k Hz about 2 db. After this, I got a little more of an idea of what these IEMs can do. Sound is moderately detailed for what one would expect for $20. I'd say less detailed than something like the Sony MDREX10LP, or the Philips SHE3850 though.

Overall, I'd say these are 'okay' for $20. I would hesitate to recommend these to anyone, especially someone that listens to their music loud (I can get them up to listening levels, and no more, due to the SPL2 tech used), or because of the sub-par build. Isolation is definitely a big plus with these though. So, it would ultimately come down to the person's needs.

May 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 5
best buy has these on sale online for 10 bucks. I love that you can even find reviews for crappy headphones here on head-fi.

May 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 5
I bought these a while back, largely to determine if I tended towards too much volume during IEM use (I don't).

First impressions were they're not bad, and initially I was pleased with the bass foundation which felt surprisingly strong but not too bloated.  For me comfort was good with the supplied tips; I had more success wearing them down than over the ear (which I believe is the suggested method).

The problems appeared when I tried watching a television show and then a movie.  Vocals sounded strange, thin and unrealistic.  There are some serious tonal issues with this IEM.

The EP-100 is interesting for it's volume limiting technology but easily trumped by the similarly priced Ety Kids.  If you're volume curious like I was you'd be better served by the latter.

May 27, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I bought these a while back, largely to determine if I tended towards too much volume during IEM use (I don't).

First impressions were they're not bad, and initially I was pleased with the bass foundation which felt surprisingly strong but not too bloated.  For me comfort was good with the supplied tips; I had more success wearing them down than over the ear (which I believe is the suggested method).

The problems appeared when I tried watching a television show and then a movie.  Vocals sounded strange, thin and unrealistic.  There are some serious tonal issues with this IEM.

The EP-100 is interesting for it's volume limiting technology but easily trumped by the similarly priced Ety Kids.  If you're volume curious like I was you'd be better served by the latter.

I felt that there wasn't enough treble, or there was too much midbass. Either way, the detail was pretty bland to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back