David Gilmour's New Album
Feb 26, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #2 of 10
Thanx for this terrific update Spaceman!
Dude, just listened to some of the new material...floored me.
Twenty+ man orchestra, multiple piano players, guitar players and screaming wine glasses!!?
tongue.gif
...are you kidding me? His voice still sounds great and that signature howling guitar is just one of a kind.
Popped in and am listening to "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" as a result
icon10.gif

Im a huge PF fan, but do not own any of Gilmours solo efforts. Guess I just never got around to it. What should I grab first?

Thanx for the heads-up on the new album.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 10
But, but, but, Gilmour is wearing V600s! EDIT: Not V600s, maybe 7509???

Sounds pretty good. I think his voice is sorta hurting, but, man, he can still play that sweeping guitar. I hope it is good. I'll be seeing him in concert in a coupla months!

George

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel

Im a huge PF fan, but do not own any of Gilmours solo efforts. Guess I just never got around to it. What should I grab first?

Thanx for the heads-up on the new album.

Check out his 1978 solo titled David Gilmour. I really like that one. You may also want to check out Rick Wright's Broken China. Very dark, and mostly instrumental. Sinead O'Conner does a couple of tracks on it.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 10
I heard the title track of Gilmour's new album on the radio today. I have to say, before I heard the song I was indifferent to this album coming out. Now I am very excited about it.

The song contained some classic Floydish cues, including Gilmore's classic riffs and a drumming style reminiscent of Nick Mason's simple yet effective rythym. The track contains vocal harmonies from Crosby and Nash, which is a great thing considering Gilmour doesn't have much of a voice anymore (as evidenced by Gilmour's recent Live 8 performance).

Gilmour has never exhibited any great composing skills (Waters took care of that well for PF). The previous Gilmour solo efforts are certainly not classics and he didn't do much of the writing for The Division Bell (not a classic either). According to the Amazon.com editorial review, Gilmour has relied on other sources for the composition of his new album as well.

Bottom line is, I really enjoyed the title track and look forward to the release of the album.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Must agree with Spaceman: David Gilmour's self-titled album from '78 is excellent— not a bad track on it. 'About Face,' from 1982 (I think), kinda sucks.

AFAIK, the DG album was never remastered on CD; I don't know that it sounds bad (I have the vinyl), but you'd think Sony Music would remaster the guy's CD, given that he's only helped them sell 80 zillion PF CD's.
580smile.gif

BTW, desperately seeking Radio City Gilmour tix; anyone with any extras or an industry "in," please let me know. Thx.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave
AFAIK, the DG album was never remastered on CD; I don't know that it sounds bad (I have the vinyl), but you'd think Sony Music would remaster the guy's CD, given that he's only helped them sell 80 zillion PF CD's.
580smile.gif

I don't know about remastered, but DG's back catalogue is being re-issued in April.

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 10
Just Heard his new song ,
the guitar is great but his voice gives away his age .

Still , you can sense "Pink Floyd" in his music ,
so i'll be picking this one .

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Gilmour has never exhibited any great composing skills (Waters took care of that well for PF). The previous Gilmour solo efforts are certainly not classics and he didn't do much of the writing for The Division Bell (not a classic either). According to the Amazon.com editorial review, Gilmour has relied on other sources for the composition of his new album as well.

Hmm. The Division Bell is one of my favorites. He's credited as writing nearly all the stuff on that album. Sure, his wife, Polly, helped with some lyrics, but he wrote just about all the music. May not be a classic but it is surely excellent music. Blows Momentary Lapse of Reason away without question.

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Blows Momentary Lapse of Reason away without question.

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, Division Bell is a fantastic album. I just liked the darkness and instrumentalism of Momentary Lapse of Reason better -- it just resonated with me better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back