Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions
May 22, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #361 of 1,160
The M1, M3, M760, and T-38s are all well worth the investment. I've invested in head-devices costing upwards of $200 and been dissappointed. There's no accounting for taste and I know mine is definately a little weird. Recently I've discovered I prefer the sound of $10 no-name Urbanears ripoffs to my SHURE E4c. And this is after the Shure's broke and I have already paid to get them reshelled!

For the cost of a TWFK Knowles IEM (for which I bought and didn't like), I can buy 2 each of the buds I mentioned from Dasetn - and be more satisfied with the sound plus not get all bent out of shape when I eventually break them - I have already broken one of the Dasetns, and it is no big deal! 

For price/performance ratio, these earbuds from Dasetn  cannot be beat.

I always break my earbuds - they are used for over 40 hours a week in my ears - walking around and getting tossed in the car - plus they have to endure another 12 hours week in public performance scenarios as DJ cans and IEM stage monitors for vocal performance.

They fit my purposes very well and their cost is finally in line with something I will eventually break.

I have not found an IEM or other earbud costing more than $150 that sounds better or equal to the Dasetns. But also realize, I've only spent that much on 3 pairs that eventually broke. I've spend that much on cans - and they sounded better - but they also broke.

There is probably an expensive bud that blows all the Dasetn's away, but I'm not in position to endlessly order different expensive buds and try them out like I am able to do with the Dasetns.

If someone has the money to invest in more expensive output listening devices - then they probably will be able to find something that sounds better. However, buds are not like speakers in that you can go to a store and audition multiple pairs - and the speaker setups are also fast dissappearing. I used to remember specialty sound stores with soundrooms setup - I don't see them around anymore like I used to.

Another thing that really surprises me is that these are Chinese buds and that they are listenable and sound great. If I spend the same amount and go get a pair of buds or IEMs from a local store, they will not sound as good - but they might be as well made.

For the longest time, I was used to inexpensive Chinese speakers/iems/buds/cans that looked like a more expensive brand but sounded awful.

Then I saw buds for $10 or so from HiSoundAudio, Vsonic, and Sunrise - I took a chance and ordered them and were SHOCKED that they sounded so good for costing so little!

The same thing goes for the Dasetns - all well worth the money. All sound great.

But they might not be to your taste. This is to contrast it with something like the $5 buds I get at the $5 store- that just sound awful. 

May 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #362 of 1,160
@BenF  I'm warming up to them. As I say, the longer you listen to them consecutively the more appealing they get. The sibilance is still kind of there, but I guess I'm getting used to that as well.
Plus, I've been fidgeting with fit and am achieving better results through that as well.

Glad to hear.
Small correction - you are not getting used to sibilance, you are getting used to the treble.
Your brain is simply not used to extracting audio cues from headphones at these frequencies.

May 22, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #364 of 1,160
  At one point they were offering a $5 discount to anyone from Head-fi. Not sure if they are still honoring that. Let us know as I am still thinking of getting them to add to the corral.

Just received a reply from blue ever blue confirming the $5 discount. If you go through customer service and just like you said mention head-fi, they'll send you a paypal invoice for their 328 RM's with a $5 discount. Thanks for that information. 

May 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #365 of 1,160
I was a bit excited about the Tingo TG-38S and bought two with EMS shipping, ordered on the 8th and it delivered on 22nd.

I've only listened to it briefly, but comparing it to my Blox M2C and BE5, I wasn't too impressed. The low and high are pushed forward, to me it sound like it's been pre-EQed and very compressed. If you get high hat and cymbals it sound too splashy. The bass is good though, but abundance, it doesn't get too muddy, goes very low and have satisfying punch. The mids are pushed back a bit and simply aren't smooth and rich like the BE5.

My biggest problem with this pair of earbuds is the fake soundstage. It sound unnaturally big and the instruments become too separated.

I think it can deliver a groovy and spacious sound, which is suitable for hiphop and electronic. The big sound stage probably make it a lot more enjoyable for movie watching than the Blox. I wouldn't use it to listen to classical or acoustic.

Overall I think even the M2C are much more balanced sounding.

Even with all that I can't give it a bad rating, I think the sound is good considering you paid $15. It's going to be much better than the typical $15 ones you buy from most popular brands. You get 3 pair of foams and a case so it add to the value. It's just doesn't the dynamic and balanced sound you expect from an audiophile set of headphone.

I can somewhat compared to sound of these TG-38S to the Palm Pre's headset, but a little better and less muddy.

IMO, this is a lesson in "you get what you paid for".

May 23, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #366 of 1,160
  OK, let's do it right.

Here are some of the tracks I use to test treble. I have meticulously chosen the specific sources - do not substitute!

Sarah Jarosz - Run away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKBN5ewEXdc

The queen of sibilance with some guests - Red
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiXmnGWw2EU

Studio version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlot0i3Zykw

Alison Krauss + Union Station - When you say nothing at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3vQ5hfh0Vk

Alison Krauss + Union Station live  
The concert ends at 1:56:44, and then starts over with no audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgTra0QldE

Ane Brun - "These Days"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s5ihWIywzg

Yanni Nightingale Live At El Morro (Lauren Jelencovich)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woj3orKWMMs

And the original:
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Yanni+Nightingale/4ykw6N

Loreena Mckennitt - The Mystic's Dream
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Loreena+Mckennitt+The+Mystic+s+Dream/4ykzyt

Clannad - Theme From Harry's Game
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Clannad+Theme+From+Harry+s+Game/4ykxtH

Eva Cassidy - Autumn Leaves
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Autumn+Leaves/3RsHGn

Eva Cassidy - Ain't no Sunshine
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Ain+t+No+Sunshine/3RsF7g

Kenny G - Songbird
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Songbird/6FAkuH

Dolly Parton - Jolene
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Jolene/4ph3sR

Al Di Meola - The Embrace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saHYX8CuaKs

and I couldn't find "Eva Cassidy - You take my breath away" that wasn't "hot" online, but in FLAC form it sounds amazing.

I have listened using the following setups:
1) NFB 11.32
2) NFB 11.32 + E12
3) ODAC + E12
4) Geek Out 1000
5) Geek Out 1000 + E12

So when you hear sibilance, please post:
1) The exact track/time
2) Your audio setup
3) EQ/no EQ
4) Did you use foams?
5) Did you point the earbuds toward the ear canal?
6) Where did you buy - Dasetn/Aliexpress/Other
7) Are the left and right channels switched?

ok here is my set up
desktop:
power: yulong sabre p18, with shunyata venom/pangea/isotek  power cords
converter: VLink192 with Teradak linear USB power, audio quest forest/the chord USB cables
dac: nfb15.32, MHDT paradise, nfb28, sa1.32, heavily moded litedac-ah
amp: little dot mk3, sa31, fire stone cute beyond

portable
dap: ipod touch 1/4, classic 5.5/7, zune/zunehd, sony hd1/3/5/z/x, clip+
amp: c5,e12,sunrise am-p1
ic: silver, pure coope, hyrbid

i bought "many" earbuds from dasetn ebay from the time he did not have a webpage, and recently the tg-38s from "dasetn.com" page
always use with foam, cant stand un-foam earbuds

to recap: the sibilant feeling appear on all track all the time even with the very bassy tracks. The sound is very thin, cold, bland, tried with darker source wont help, bass does not have any extension at all, the sound is "not congested" but also "incoherent", no depth at all, moreover the "height" is really narrow feel like some one tried to sandwiching you.

i actually dont want to get into this hype anymore, so either im a very bad luck guy who got a defective pair, or you are very lucky to get a superior pair that can kill almost flagship.

extra info: my other earbuds that were used for comparison dasetn a8,pk3/pk2 diy,m1, yuin pk2/1, blox m2c, sen mx365,470,580,880,980, a very strange fake earbud that was purchased from lunashop "pihlips she9800" at ~$10, the 9800 is the most favored earbud under $50.

May 23, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #367 of 1,160
I was a bit excited about the Tingo TG-38S and bought two with EMS shipping, ordered on the 8th and it delivered on 22nd.

I've only listened to it briefly, but comparing it to my Blox M2C and BE5, I wasn't too impressed. The low and high are pushed forward, to me it sound like it's been pre-EQed and very compressed. If you get high hat and cymbals it sound too splashy. The bass is good though, but abundance, it doesn't get too muddy, goes very low and have satisfying punch. The mids are pushed back a bit and simply aren't smooth and rich like the BE5.

My biggest problem with this pair of earbuds is the fake soundstage. It sound unnaturally big and the instruments become too separated.

I think it can deliver a groovy and spacious sound, which is suitable for hiphop and electronic. The big sound stage probably make it a lot more enjoyable for movie watching than the Blox. I wouldn't use it to listen to classical or acoustic.

Even with all that I can't give it a bad rating, I think the sound is good considering you paid $15. It's going to be much better than the typical $15 ones you buy from most popular brands. You get 3 pair of foams and a case so it add to the value. It's just doesn't the dynamic and balanced sound you expect from an audiophile set of headphone.

I can somewhat compared to sound of these TG-38S to the Palm Pre's headset, but a little better and less m

sad to hear about your Tingo experience. i just hope mine will not be as bad when i get to hear it if it still arrive. anyway, you got some other earbuds in your possession. can you share your overall sq rating then i'll post the same in the earbuds guide thread? thanks.

May 23, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #368 of 1,160

I can somewhat compared to sound of these TG-38S to the Palm Pre's headset, but a little better and less m

the soundstage trouble is exactly the same with mine, the sound seem like coming from left/right without any connection,tooo incoherent, quite stress that you have to have your head focused on "both sides at the same time"

May 23, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #369 of 1,160

I think Maxjohnson really hits it on the head with his review.  I don't know what other headphone inventory some others are used to, but I've always appreciated neutral & balanced whether it's headphones or speakers.  Sorry, but transparent is not how I would describe the TG-38S.  The highs, lows & soundstage are exaggerated to make a splashy first impression, but typical with this type of presentation, is that long term use usually results in listener fatigue.  But to put it in perspective, it's a $15 earbud and a very good one at that.  Just when it's put in the same context as some $100-$200 earbuds and IEM's, I think it deserves to be put back in its place (so please don't take this as bashing).

Also, I think it's safe to say ALL earbuds sound better positioned towards the ear canal and pushed in with your fingers.

BTW, Max, did both pairs of Tingos display the same sound signature you described?  Like you, I also ordered 2 pairs but unfortunately only received one.

May 23, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #371 of 1,160
Haven't received my pair of Tingo TG-38S yet so I can't weigh in on that, but I can only say that I love the huge soundstage on my Dasetn M1 & MX1 (earlier version of M1). Love the instrument separation and layering. I suppose the fact that some experience problems with a deep and extended soundstage has got to do with preference, and what people are used to hearing from other earbuds and headphones. Most modern head- and earphones have got a more flat and upfront presentation. I've got older Sony and Aiwa earbuds from the 80's and 90's and in the case of Sony, you can see how they move towards a more upfront sound on their E484 (sold from aorund 1988- around 1995) compared to older models such as E282 and E252. E484 sounds really good with a beefy sound and very deep bass, but still good detail and an okay soundstage. Still I prefer something like Dasetn M1/MX1. Listening to them makes me rediscover the music and notice details that have been buried before.

May 23, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #372 of 1,160
to recap: the sibilant feeling appear on all track all the time even with the very bassy tracks. The sound is very thin, cold, bland, tried with darker source wont help, bass does not have any extension at all, the sound is "not congested" but also "incoherent", no depth at all, moreover the "height" is really narrow feel like some one tried to sandwiching you.  
i actually dont want to get into this hype anymore, so either im a very bad luck guy who got a defective pair, or you are very lucky to get a superior pair that can kill almost flagship.

Sibilance all the time on all the tracks? I am now 99.9% sure that you simply have a defective earbud.
I've bought 4 from Aliexpress - all sound great, my impressions aren't based on a single "lucky" purchase.

Are your left/right channels switched?
Can you point to a couple of the most unlistenable passages and describe how they sound to you - is it like scratching a chalkboard/glass? Does it sound like the vocalist has lisp or any other speech impediment? Is the problem with vocals or string instruments?

The good news are that Dasetn is pretty good about replacing faulty earphones - PM Richard Ray about this problem.

May 23, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #373 of 1,160
  Sibilance all the time on all the tracks? I am now 99.9% sure that you simply have a defective earbud.
I've bought 4 from Aliexpress - all sound great, my impressions aren't based on a single "lucky" purchase.

Are your left/right channels switched?
Can you point to a couple of the most unlistenable passages and describe how they sound to you - is it like scratching a chalkboard/glass? Does it sound like the vocalist has lisp or any other speech impediment? Is the problem with vocals or string instruments?

The good news are that Dasetn is pretty good about replacing faulty earphones - PM Richard Ray about this problem.

not the normal sibilant feeling like scratching on mirror, it happened due to the "extremely thin sound" like you hear the last whisper from every single note/word out of singers mouth, therefore the more resolution your dac is, the worse sound you get from this tingo
combined with the very "limited height", flat sound stage with no depth and too incoherent it make my ear fatigue after only few minutes

May 23, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #374 of 1,160
  Haven't received my pair of Tingo TG-38S yet so I can't weigh in on that, but I can only say that I love the huge soundstage on my Dasetn M1 & MX1 (earlier version of M1). Love the instrument separation and layering. I suppose the fact that some experience problems with a deep and extended soundstage has got to do with preference, and what people are used to hearing from other earbuds and headphones. Most modern head- and earphones have got a more flat and upfront presentation. I've got older Sony and Aiwa earbuds from the 80's and 90's and in the case of Sony, you can see how they move towards a more upfront sound on their E484 (sold from aorund 1988- around 1995) compared to older models such as E282 and E252. E484 sounds really good with a beefy sound and very deep bass, but still good detail and an okay soundstage. Still I prefer something like Dasetn M1/MX1. Listening to them makes me rediscover the music and notice details that have been buried before.

i think everybody love huge sound stage but the trouble is it must have some kind of connection, in this case i can hear some thing on the right and then a very long empty distance then some thing coming from the left...very annoying

May 23, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #375 of 1,160

If you don't have the constant sibilance problem like xxxfbsxxx ,you may change your mind after a couple of days of burn-in and listening to it (exclusively) for a couple of more days.
The bass will clean up even more, and the mids will step a little forward.
The only reason you think the soundstage is "unnaturally big", is because you are aware that this a 15$ earbud and not a 1500$ full-size headphone.
You would love this soundstage if it was coming from HD800.

TG-38S kills at classical and acoustic, hip-hop isn't a great match - it's usually badly mastered.

Also keep in mind, that the source is critical - TG-38S sounds decent out of HTC One X, but only reaches its full potential with a good DAC and amp.
It's easy to drive, but an amp still helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back