Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions
May 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #181 of 1,160

Those two effects, too forward mids and echo, may be due to fit as well. Too loose letting the bass and treble escape out the sides and also allowing reflections that cause the echo. A bit of testing holding them in can confirm. Not said if pads where used which could cause the echo if a loose fit has the sound bouncing in between the ear and the plastic face instead of being absorbed by foams.

Using pads would definitely help, great point.

May 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #182 of 1,160
Posted this originally in the wrong thread..

Got my TG-38S yesterday from Dasetn. Not going to overly judge them until I've gotten these broken in, but my first impressions are pretty close to BloodyPenguins. I remember not being bowled over with my Blox M2C's when I first got them, but after about 125 hours of burn in, I'm pretty happy with the sound....so the TG-38's hopefully have some changes to go through before I can put them on a level that surpasses the Blox's.

I'm just basing everything on first impressions. What I can say is that I can already tell they have stronger bass potential over the M2C's and the box that the Tingo's came in with its lining made a better impression over the cheap box that the blox's came in. Like BloodyPenguin said, there's something not quite right with vocals and the mids are recessed......there's a slight echo with voices. Don't know what he's using for sound equipment, but I've always ran all my earbuds as a base line using a sansa clip+ running rockbox.

Have used everything from Yuin Pk1's and Pk3's to Sennheiser MX580's and wasn't wow'd right out of the start with any of of them....maybe was with the Pk1's when amped, so I'll have to put some hours on these before saying anything further, but so far the Blox's sound much better and more balanced to my ears.

edit..Trying Yuin's donut foams on the TG-38's and will run them for 50 hours....but I still think the mids are recessed and the vocals have a shrill sound to them. No EQ setting will fix that on any of the various player's I've now tried. Hoping that it eventually goes away.

Thinking about getting blue ever blue's 328R's for comparison.

May 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #183 of 1,160
My pair of TG38s could be here tomorrow. They are in the state and sorted out of customs center.

Had the BEB and the M2C. If the Tingo are close to the PX985( like they claim) and the BE5(like BenF said) they should be clear winners over the BEB and M2C. BE5 was a nice step up over both in my extrapolation(BE5 equals Toshiba, Toshiba was the one who beat those two).

Odd though that one says the mids are too forward and another says recessed. We'll see what I hear
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #184 of 1,160
  Posted this originally in the wrong thread..

Got my TG-38S yesterday from Dasetn. Not going to overly judge them until I've gotten these broken in, but my first impressions are pretty close to BloodyPenguins. I remember not being bowled over with my Blox M2C's when I first got them, but after about 125 hours of burn in, I'm pretty happy with the sound....so the TG-38's hopefully have some changes to go through before I can put them on a level that surpasses the Blox's.

I'm just basing everything on first impressions. What I can say is that I can already tell they have stronger bass potential over the M2C's and the box that the Tingo's came in with its lining made a better impression over the cheap box that the blox's came in. Like BloodyPenguin said, there's something not quite right with vocals and the mids are recessed......there's a slight echo with voices. Don't know what he's using for sound equipment, but I've always ran all my earbuds as a base line using a sansa clip+ running rockbox.

Have used everything from Yuin Pk1's and Pk3's to Sennheiser MX580's and wasn't wow'd right out of the start with any of of them....maybe was with the Pk1's when amped, so I'll have to put some hours on these before saying anything further, but so far the Blox's sound much better and more balanced to my ears.

edit..Trying Yuin's donut foams on the TG-38's and will run them for 50 hours....but I still think the mids are recessed and the vocals have a shrill sound to them. No EQ setting will fix that on any of the various player's I've now tried. Hoping that it eventually goes away.

Thinking about getting blue ever blue's 328R's for comparison.

Actually, BloodyPenguin said that the mids are too forward - yet you hear them as recessed?
There must be a problem in your audio chain.

I've spent most of the day listening to TG-38S on my NFB-11.32, and the vocals are breathtaking, especially the female ones.
The Best of Eva Cassidy never sounded so good.

TG-38S is very transparent, and it will show you exactly what your source is capable of.
Both my "reference" setups - NFB-11.32 and ODAC+E12 - sound great, but E17 sounds only decent at best.

You have to treat this little gem same way you would treat any other great headphone. You wouldn't complain that HD800 doesn't sound good from a cheap MP3 player, right? I know, it sounds ridiculous to compare a 16$ earbud and a 1600$ headphone, but it's no more ridiculous than running the 16$ earbud on a 400$ setup, yet that's exactly what I'm doing.

No need for the donut foams, just use the ones included.

I can only hope that your brain will burn-in the same way as it did with the other ones, and you will hear TG-38S in all its glory.
M2C doesn't sound anywhere near as good as TG-38S.

May 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #185 of 1,160
Odd though that one says the mids are too forward and another says recessed. We'll see what I hear:D

To me, it's all about the sound source which affects how the Mids are perceived. I even threw my iphone into the mix running the BBE enhanced soundmax pro app with the dial settings for enhanced mids needing to be turned way up to balance the sound out so for me, so in my opinion I'm still leaning on the side that these earbuds have recessed mids, but I haven't spent enough quality time to draw a conclusion here. Also took off the yuin donut covers and put the pads back on that came with the Tingo's.

I honestly think I need some more input from others when they get their Tingo's on their impressions about the overall sound, as I'm just not sure about the vocals. Voices are shrill sounding to me even with the pads on, Could be that I have a defective pair, but it's the vocals I'm having the most trouble with. In contrast, the bass is what stands out as most impressive.

Just my overall initial thoughts here.....it's nothing worth reading into.

May 11, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #186 of 1,160
  My pair of TG38s could be here tomorrow. They are in the state and sorted out of customs center.

Had the BEB and the M2C. If the Tingo are close to the PX985( like they claim) and the BE5(like BenF said) they should be clear winners over the BEB and M2C. BE5 was a nice step up over both in my extrapolation(BE5 equals Toshiba, Toshiba was the one who beat those two).

Odd though that one says the mids are too forward and another says recessed. We'll see what I hear
biggrin.gif

What's that about Toshiba?

May 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #187 of 1,160
Now I understand how tracking works from China to the USA. My first order had a tracking number, but Dasetn did not provide me with one, even after I requested (again, great sounding buds for cheap is worth the inconvenience). That order (M1, M760, M3) took 10 days to get from China to my door (including non-business days). The 2nd order which was just a T-38s was provided with a tracking number and info doesn't appear on the USPS USA site until it arrives at the "sorting facility" in the US. However, China Post does provide info that it's on the plane for the days up until it arrives at the USA sorting facility. It is now in a truck driving around my town. 

This time from China to delivery in the US (including non-business days). Only a week!!!!!

Will stick them in my ears as soon as I get home. 

May 12, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #188 of 1,160
  Now I understand how tracking works from China to the USA. My first order had a tracking number, but Dasetn did not provide me with one, even after I requested (again, great sounding buds for cheap is worth the inconvenience). That order (M1, M760, M3) took 10 days to get from China to my door (including non-business days). The 2nd order which was just a T-38s was provided with a tracking number and info doesn't appear on the USPS USA site until it arrives at the "sorting facility" in the US. However, China Post does provide info that it's on the plane for the days up until it arrives at the USA sorting facility. It is now in a truck driving around my town. 

This time from China to delivery in the US (including non-business days). Only a week!!!!!

Will stick them in my ears as soon as I get home. 

I got the free shipping for my TG38s. There is a tracking number when I log in on the site and delve down into the order status. Well that said May 5th delivery which was obviously not the case. Putting the number in at the USPS site gets me the actual info. Actual but not really accurate :) as May 10th said departed Flushing sort facility now on the 12th it posted processed through and left Flushing sort facility. Obviously it didn't go through on the 10th and didn't get here today. Another 6 miles to my P.O. and then out for delivery should be achievable by tomorrow but who knows.

What's that about Toshiba?

Toshiba Gigabeat stock buds. Damn good buds. Had two pair. One I traded and the new owner liked them better than his HD580. Never should have traded them but they didn't fit right. Neither did the MX housings like BLOX uses. Our ears change shape and now I have zero problems with the Toshiba second pair or the BE5 repeatedly falling out of my right ear. Loaned them to kjk1281 as well and he was impressed with them even though he had high expectations. Not sure why though as I had said they weren't as good as my first pair and I wasn't quite as happy with them. They have since improved with burn in and I am happier with them more lately and they are more enjoyable than the BE5 was and better for outdoor use as they are a bit more intimate sounding and have more low end. Quite similar sounding to the BE5 out of the box outside of the treble tone which is different. The BE5 lost it's slight bit of out of the box bass bloat and became a bit more open which differentiated them more. Still too close to be complements and I enjoy the Toshiba mids quality, bass amount, and quality a bit more.  At this point it makes no difference as they can no longer be found unless you buy and old Gigabeat F or V era player that still has them. I did for $60. Worth it as they are still great sounding players.

Of course I bought the BLOX for their bass amounts previously(which was not really the case this time)thinking they would make a good back up especially for the cold weather cause the Gigabuds cable really stiffens in the winter. They won't last forever either :) My next shot is obviously the TinGo which has a very good cable and more low end punch than the BE5.

May 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #189 of 1,160
The T-38s arrived. But not before I was in K-mart and saw two pairs of Koss Porta-Pros on ridiculous liquididation. The T-38s sound good - they are efficient as ever. I have to give them a while to burn in. Certainly worth the $16 - and maybe 5x more. . .

May 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #190 of 1,160
My first portable mp3 player was the 40GB Gigabeat. I didn't really like the buds that came with them, still have them. The mp3 player has long since pooped out. I have a  lot of Apple products as well as Sony. But these days, my default player is either the laptop or the Moto X smartphone - both with BBE engaged at somewhat low settings. I use the larger Ipods now primarily as storage or to hook up in place of a CD changer in my car. Either that or the many Ipods I have make great gifts to people who don't mind used stuff. Since only the Ipod Touch or Ipad can use BBE, I don't listen to the others any more through buds.

May 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #191 of 1,160
Yep, people didn't like these buds with the Gigabeat players. I never liked the buds with the Gigabeat players and I've had three of them. Even today the Sony HPM-64 sound better with the Toshiba player than the Gigabuds do. I probably wouldn't use them if I only had a Toshiba as a source but they mate fine with my other sources and have taken down, for me, the PK2, BE5, M2C, BEB, MX880, PMX680, other various MX's(60,90,365,375,4XX, 5XX), UU2, Hisound Live/ PA1-Pro, HPM-64, MDR-E931 and others.  Oddly they are the ones still standing after the last 7 years or so.  

May 12, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #194 of 1,160

Actually, BloodyPenguin said that the mids are too forward - yet you hear them as recessed?
There must be a problem in your audio chain.

I've spent most of the day listening to TG-38S on my NFB-11.32, and the vocals are breathtaking, especially the female ones.
The Best of Eva Cassidy never sounded so good.

TG-38S is very transparent, and it will show you exactly what your source is capable of.
Both my "reference" setups - NFB-11.32 and ODAC+E12 - sound great, but E17 sounds only decent at best.

You have to treat this little gem same way you would treat any other great headphone. You wouldn't complain that HD800 doesn't sound good from a cheap MP3 player, right? I know, it sounds ridiculous to compare a 16$ earbud and a 1600$ headphone, but it's no more ridiculous than running the 16$ earbud on a 400$ setup, yet that's exactly what I'm doing.

No need for the donut foams, just use the ones included.

I can only hope that your brain will burn-in the same way as it did with the other ones, and you will hear TG-38S in all its glory.
M2C doesn't sound anywhere near as good as TG-38S.

Okay, I'm about to eat humble pie here. In my defense, I spent way too little time with them to give anything remotely close to an accurate description. The lesson to be learned is it's better to hold off rather than make a rushed judgement.

After 36 hours and realizing the Sansa clip + wasn't the best place to start, I got serious on Sunday trying to figure out why I was experiencing a less than stellar experience with these Tingo's. At first I thought it was synergy between the clip and the TG-38's, believing that they just didn't get along, so being that I'm mostly on the go, I started using an Ipod classic running rockbox and it hit me that I was going about it all wrong. Resetting everything on the settings and starting from scratch was the key to my problems No EQ and working with reverse treble made everything just click. Result, no more shrills on the vocals and anything to do with my brain telling me that the mid's were recessed were gone. Don't ask! The answer had to do with simple tweaking and I can now see the potential in these earbuds.

Now that I've got a more balanced sound out of them.

Are they better than the M2C's. Yes. They can handle bass on a level that the Blox's can't and the vocals are much clearer.

Are they worth the $16 I paid for them. Most definitely.

Will I prematurely judge any earbuds in the future before I've had a chance to spend quality time with them. No

May 12, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #195 of 1,160

Okay, I'm about to eat humble pie here. In my defense, I spent way too little time with them to give anything remotely close to an accurate description. The lesson to be learned is it's better to hold off rather than make a rushed judgement.

After 36 hours and realizing the Sansa clip + wasn't the best place to start, I got serious on Sunday trying to figure out why I was experiencing a less than stellar experience with these Tingo's. At first I thought it was synergy between the clip and the TG-38's, believing that they just didn't get along, so being that I'm mostly on the go, I started using an Ipod classic running rockbox and it hit me that I was going about it all wrong. Resetting everything on the settings and starting from scratch was the key to my problems No EQ and working with reverse treble made everything just click. Result, no more shrills on the vocals and anything to do with my brain telling me that the mid's were recessed were gone. Don't ask! The answer had to do with simple tweaking and I can now see the potential in these earbuds.

Now that I've got a more balanced sound out of them.

Are they better than the M2C's. Yes. They can handle bass on a level that the Blox's can't and the vocals are much clearer.

Are they worth the $16 I paid for them. Most definitely.

Will I prematurely judge any earbuds in the future before I've had a chance to spend quality time with them. No

Glad it worked out for you, but what is a "reverse treble"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back