Darth Beyer's - Woodied!
May 12, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
2 more questions....

The plastic earcups have 2 small hoes for the headband wire that connects to the right earcup. With the recable, how is that little hole plugged up?

Does the wood enslosure isolate noise better?

Thanks!!
Garrett

The little holes are not plugged.

Yes, the isolation is better.

May 13, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I'm sure the work is top notch, but am I the only one who thinks that woodied headphones (like the CD3000, Grado's, etc.) look ugly? The DT770's look pretty nice,though-- kinda like some of Audiotechnicas offerings...

I agree with you. Wood beyers look weird, the silver velour doesn't go with the wood. I think beyers look great stock... the silver and black is a good colour scheme.

However, when I rewired mine (to use them with a T-amp, among other things), I used neon green techflex so I think that my opinion on aesthetics should probably be ignored :)

May 13, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
With that in mind, I think for my personal woody pair (when I get them) I will either screen them (with removable covers) or port them so they could be adjusted to taste.

Larry,

Wooden enclosures for the 770 - what a brillant idea! Before I found the AT-W100, the Beyer 770Pro-250Ohms was my favourite headphone. On your website, you're hinting at the fact that the 770-80 woody was a "fun headphone". Man, that sound's promising. The orginal 770 is a lot of fun as it is, and with some wood flavour added... I always felt that the plastics enclosures might be holding it back. And resonance control and resonance modification is so important in audio. I want my 770 Pro modded!

Do you feel that the same tonal characteristics of different wood variants that you mention in regard to the CD3000 would apply to the 770 as well?

And I'm curious how a ported version of the enclosure would compare to a closed acoustic suspension design. The original 770 is ported, of course, That gives a very extended bass response but it has to cause some phase shifts as well, especially around the port hole's resonance frequency. Theoretically, an acoustic suspenison enclosure sholud have less bass extension but with a gentler decline in bass response, with more cohesion and less phase anomalies. This might be exactly what the 770 Pro needs in the bass. And I'm convinced that nothing compares to the liquidity and musicality of a "wood midrange".

Larry, this is very exciting. Keep us updated, please!

May 16, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #65 of 68
Well, they're here and they're beautiful. They would benefit from the black velour, I think. I'll order a set from B&H to dye. The sound change when the ports are covered and uncovered is interesting. So far I've listened to Frank Sinatra - Duets with Dames, and Ella Fitzgerald - Pure Ella. With vocal jazz, I definitely like the ports uncovered. With my live recordings of Gov't Mule (hard driving rock, very bass heavy), I think the sound is better covered, but both sound good. Not having the original 770s (since they're not modified), I'd be hard pressed to say what the differences are between the covered ports now and the originals, but I'd imagine the recable affected the sound as well. I'd love to do a head-to-head test. Anyone want to send me original DT770s and darth beyer recables?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #66 of 68
I went for the closed ones, and now I'm counting the days
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have a pair of AKG 501, so I think I'm well covered with vocal, acoustic, jazz or classical music. But since you have had the screened Beyers for ten days, I'd like to know more about your experience with them. Tell us, please. We love details
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #67 of 68
I'm not really a writer, and I'm going mostly on memory, but here goes:

I love these cans. I almost never put the port covers in, the sound without them has more depth to it. I listen to all kinds of music, and really like what the wood does for the sound. I definitely prefer them now to prior to the mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back