Darth Beyers and classical?
Mar 6, 2007 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Christopher69

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been lurking around for quite some time and want to get a set of headphones for my computer for music and games. I know the games have been beat to death (DT770 or A900), but wondering if Darths can do both. Use about 55% music, 40% games, and 5% movies. The music I listen to is mostly classical (all different types), classical crossover like Celtic Women, Hayley Westenra, and Enya, and soundtracks of movies/plays/operas. I want something closed if possible but might consider going open/semi-open if it is really better for classical. I would be driving them with the Lavry DA10 DAC/AMP so amp shouldn't be a problem. I planned on spending about 500 for the cans. I really like the looks of the Darth Beyers
280smile.gif
and was really wondering if I would be happy with them or something else better for what I want to use them for?

Thanks,

Christopher

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Skylab will know better but I would say yes to the V3 Darths w/ Blackmax or BlackGold. The Darths do very well with most any music at low levels and are beasts with games. The V3s have improved midrange I hear and that was the only thing I found lacking with my v2 and v1.

Others to include are the Beyer 990 600 ohm and the Ultrasone 2500 which are both Open and may give you a better sense of air than the Darths which do pound a bit at volume due to their tight, compressed air fit which is one reason why their bass is so strong.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 9
I'd like to know how they handle actual music too
wink.gif
. All I've read is how they are bass monsters and that they are good for gaming. Most Darth Beyer posts/ threads just go to say how nice they look, how bassy
basshead.gif
they are, and how proud the owners are.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 9
I have and like my Darth Beyers. I also listen to a lot of classical music. The two don't go well together at all imo. There are much better cans for that genre. I use the Darths for classic rock and when I'm in the mood to turn things up loud.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 9
As much as I like my 2005 dt990/600.....when it comes to Mahler Symphonies - my choice is Darth..

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 9
Consider the HD595 (very easy to drive from a soundcard) or HD580 (slightly better for classical music, but needs an amp for any portable). I don't know if you were thinking of the A900 or DT770 specifically because they're closed, but the HD595 is also another popular gaming headphone....only thing its semi-open. The A900s aren't as well balanced as the HD595, but I'd take them over a darth beyer for classical if you really need a closed headphone.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Darth and Mahler sounds like a match made in heaven.

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darth and Mahler sounds like a match made in heaven.

x2, and I can add Bach and Vivaldi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back