Darth Beyer...is it worth it???
Nov 20, 2008 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

SundayDuffer

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Fellas,

First post here...

I'm old to the audiophile tube amplification world, but a NOOB when it comes to headphones.

Anyhow, i've reading up on lots of headphones on here and everywhere.... and found headphile.com ... The 770pro is only $150 stock...but with headphile's mod it could come out to about $600-$900....what gives? Is it sonically that good with the mod? It just doesn't make sense to me...would you rather use that money to get ATHW1000, ATHW5000, and many many better choices more?

Am i wrong?

Any feeds would be helpful. Thankyou.

BTW, i just picked up ATHW1000, AKG-K701, Grado SR325i, Creek Amp, Cmoy, and a few Cardas, and Nordost interconnects for headphones/iphone. Will eye out for a tube headphones amp...

My set up consists of:

Mastersound 845 Reference Amp
Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp
Sony SCD-777es SACD/CD Top loader player
Sony SCD-1 SACD/CD Top loader player
Shanling SCD-T200 SACD/CD Tube player
Musical Fidelity E61 CD player
HGP Fuga ST floorspeakers
Speaker Cable: KimberKable TriFocal XL
Interconnects: Synergistic Research, Cardas Reference, KimberKable
Power Cords: XLO, Zu
Music: Jazz, Blues, Classicals, Vocals

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 27
Here we go again!

1783sm2.jpg

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 27
aaaaaaaaaaah.....the magical SEARCH button....i should know..I'm a Mod on modmyi ....... hihihi

I did read up a lot on them Darths...all good things, rave reviews...but i am still puzzled with the price...that's all.

Thanks for the replies.
SD

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 27
It depends on what you're looking for from them as to whether or not they're worth it. They look really good and are fairly comfortable. They lose some of the benefit of being closed when they're woodied, but they do sound somewhat better than stock afterwards. They're not the best value in headphones, nor in closed headphones, nor in wooden headphones, but they are what they are. If you like what they are, they're worth it. If you don't, they're not.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 27
Definitely a must try, before you buy headphone. They tend to be a love or hate. I you are considering them, try to find a local meet and audition them.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely a must try, before you buy headphone. They tend to be a love or hate. I you are considering them, try to find a local meet and audition them.

I have..on Stock cans only...and other brands also.
I am not too sure where to hit up an audition for Darths

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SundayDuffer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have..on Stock cans only...and other brands also.
I am not too sure where to hit up an audition for Darths

Head-Fi has a great tradition of meets. We get together, bring our gear and listen. Check the meet discussions to see if one is near you. The LA meet last month was incredible - I met a lot of people I wanted to meet, listened to some excellent systems and loved it.

There will be an international meet in LA next May. You should come if you can - you'll get to hear almost anything you want.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 27
The latest Darth V4 Terminators are really nice, and worth the money, if you appreciate good sound and fine craftmanship to boot.

My latest pair:

hd3.jpg

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps try one out from the FS section first? If you like how they sound, then sell that one and get a fully customized version that is tweaked cosmetically according to your fancy.
wink.gif

Yup...been keeping an eye on the FS section for a DB...those are going really faaast.
And also being ROOKIE doesnt really pan out too well neither.

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi has a great tradition of meets. We get together, bring our gear and listen. Check the meet discussions to see if one is near you. The LA meet last month was incredible - I met a lot of people I wanted to meet, listened to some excellent systems and loved it.

There will be an international meet in LA next May. You should come if you can - you'll get to hear almost anything you want.

Excellent. I might just do that...I'm from NorCal. Will check around to see if they have such meets up here first. Thx for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back