DARNIT!!! The top of my beer bottle broke off, what do I do?
Jun 3, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #17 of 27
I think I'd think twice about drinking it - Guiness or not - next time this happens.

Unless the thought of peratinitus or other such lovely internal maladies is lower on your list or priorities than opening another bottle, I'd avoid the possibility that you might ingest a shard or two of glass from your broken bottle.

Having said that, I find that a seat belt often does the job as an opener in a pinch. Used to use the rear bumper, but now the damn things are all made of plastic.
mad.gif

The easy solution: never be without your handy-dandy bottle opener. To be otherwise implies lightweight status not well suited for a Guiness drinker.
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
...Having said that, I find that a seat belt often does the job as an opener in a pinch...

I learn something new about you all the time Tom
600smile.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #19 of 27
I broke the top of a Pete's Wicked bottle off once whilst opening with that same flat-tabletop method. It was fairly jagged so I just grabbed a pint glass and poured it. No biggie. Of course, now I keep a nice little plastic bottle opener on my keychain, so I'm rarely without one
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 27
Well, thanks all for your support and advice! It should be known that I do have a bottle opener on my handy dandy Wave multi tool but it is in my toolbox at a friends house. I had one of those plastic ones on my keychain but it broke off. I think I'm just going to install one of those mountable ones you see in the Guinness commercials on the top of my computer! That should cure my problems
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Just because you can drink pub draught Guiness from the bottle, doesn't mean you ought to or even that you should. Guiness is an ale that deserves to be seen as well as tasted -- as I'm sure you know. So pour it into a nice glass if you ever find yourself in this situation again.

But, but, it says on the bottle? And I was by myself in my computer room, there wouldn't be anyone around to see the beauty of the frothyness anyways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Severe Alcohol Abuse !

NEVER waste a single drop or you are cut off dude !

You re not ready to step up to the big time yet and should stick with pull tab skunky beers

NO!!! Rick, please you must believe me!!! Not a single drop was wasted, I swear it. I even scurried about the ground to find the cap and lip to get the remains of the foam out of it. Rick, you must take this back...you are my hero and idol!!! Please I won't dissapoint you!!!
biggrin.gif

And don't worry Tom, there was zero glass shards in the bottle and the bottle itself had no jagged edges. Maybe some pictures would help clarify the situation.

Jun 3, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

NO!!! Rick, please you must believe me!!! Not a single drop was wasted, I swear it. I even scurried about the ground to find the cap and lip to get the remains of the foam out of it. Rick, you must take this back...you are my hero and idol!!! Please I won't dissapoint you!!!
biggrin.gif

heh,since you put it that way man i can not help but cut you slack THIS TIME !
icon10.gif

But man,only the fact that you have both good taste in beer and had only the best of intentions is saving you from me posting your picture to every beer store in a 100 mile radious from you (yes,I know where you and every other member of head-fi lives,my job to be on top of these things
tongue.gif
) with the caption "twist off cap and pull tab crap beer only".
eek.gif

That is the kiss of death to ever having a satisfying brewsky dude,cold or not
cool.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

heh,since you put it that way man i can not help but cut you slack THIS TIME !
icon10.gif

But man,only the fact that you have both good taste in beer and had only the best of intentions is saving you from me posting your picture to every beer store in a 100 mile radious from you (yes,I know where you and every other member of head-fi lives,my job to be on top of these things
tongue.gif
) with the caption "twist off cap and pull tab crap beer only".
eek.gif

That is the kiss of death to ever having a satisfying brewsky dude,cold or not
cool.gif

LMAO as I spew water across my monitor!
tongue.gif
Well, needless to say this puts a smile on my face! Thank you your graciousness *bows*, I will make it my top prority to get a mountable bottle opener for the top of my computer so this never has to happen again!

On a side note, am I the only one who is scared knowing that Rick knows where I sleep?
biggrin.gif
*sets booby traps in room* I think its time to get that reinforced metal front door a little sooner
biggrin.gif
!!!

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

*sets booby traps in room* I think its time to get that reinforced metal front door a little sooner !!!

Ex infantry nut job with a passable knowledge in electronics dude.
tongue.gif

Booby traps ? Reinforced steel door ?

Pfffffffft !

Cakewalk man !

electronic surveillance...guard dogs....lights on 24/7........... motion sensors.....armed security.......sleeping with one eye open.......all nothing if the rickmonster is on a "misssion" ...........
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
...I will make it my top prority to get a mountable bottle opener for the top of my computer so this never has to happen again...

Sounds like an accident of the electrical kind may be brewing...
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #25 of 27
I guess I find myself feeling very safe and secure from Rick's "Beer List Ban" seeing that #1. I know how to open the sacred beer without spilling (drunk does not count!) and #2 ..... see rule #1.

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

electronic surveillance...guard dogs....lights on 24/7........... motion sensors.....armed security.......sleeping with one eye open.......all nothing if the rickmonster is on a "misssion" ...........
smily_headphones1.gif

Errr...Well, I'll just have to think of something extra good then. I think I'll just put a pair of Triports on that steel door to slow you down a little
biggrin.gif
! Then after you get in I'll just start giving you beers to drink until you can't walk anymore, then maybe I can befriend the beast!
biggrin.gif

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures for you to see what went down. Here's a link to some of the pictures of the broken bottle top.

I think I'm going to order one of these this weekend and see if I can't find some way of mounting it to my computer. Wish me luck!
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
6 degrees Celcius (43 degrees farenheit).

http://www.guinness.com/us_en/beer/draught/default.aspx

I've drunk Guinness at the brewery in Ireland, and other parts of Ireland, Scotland and England, and I can assure you that THEY dont serve it this cold, or even close. Jefemeisters 55 degrees is just about right. I can only ascribe the less than correct information on the Guinness site as yet another of the ploys towards marketing to American's that a number of UK breweries began some time back. It seems that unless you recommend drinking the beer/ale cold, you lose a significant number of potential sales to the ill informed average beer drinker here. I had this very discussion with a sales rep from Guinness.
I was also in the wine/beer business for a long time, and trust me you never, ever serve Guinness, or ANY quality beer icy cold! Thats sacrilege, and simply foolish as it completely hides the complexities of the taste.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back