Darkvoice tha336 arrival
Mar 9, 2006 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

aznsensazian

500+ Head-Fier
Just got my darkvoice tha336 tube amp and to my surprise, it sounds quite good. Only had about 30 minutes on it so far, but right now, i am liking it much more than my little dot 2. How does it sound you might ask. Well, i cant say at the moment because my listening time has been very limited. I will report back soon for more in depth impressions and so on. Here are some pics for now.

The pics are not great, i need a new digital camera...
a757f15cd888.jpg

006a2116429a.jpg

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 19
Wow, very nice..I had been looking at one of the Darkvoice amps but never jumped at the chance to buy one, and it doesen't look like I'll be able to get one..o well...But, I did have a chance to purchase an Aria Sonice (Baby Sophia Clone)....Hopefully the sonic quality of this amp will be able to at least match the quality of this amp. When you have some more impressions, please try to compare this amp with the LDII and how it is different.
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 19
220v or 115?

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tilt
220v or 115?

I have the 115V or US version. The ebay seller is only offering 220V versions atm. I suppose you can always use a step up converter. The sound out of this thing is getting better and better. The amp is so quiet. There is no hint of hum or noise at all. Just blackness and me and the music. So far comparing the ld2 to the tha336, the tha336 sounds bigger and better. One word to sum it up is coherency. I hear so much more smaller and finer details in this amp. Instruments are placed very well in space and the airness between the notes is really good. I have to listen to it more for more impressions. So more to come. I am going to tube roll this baby to see if it gets even better. Using the same tubes from an eddie current hd300 should yield even better results. I really like what this amp is outputting so far. My ears are in heaven
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 19
More pics?
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 19
I just changed out my cheap rca fiber optic cable for a glass fiber optic one in my zhaolu and it is sounding pretty good. I guess the zhaolu is a little picky with digital cables. The tiny bit of brightness that was exhibited before the new digital cable is gone now. The more i listen to the tha336 the more and more i am digging the sound. Switching back from the little dot 2 to the tha336 is very noticiable. The little dot 2 sounded more bright on complex passages and tends to get a little loss in the notes. The tha336 doesnt exhibit this at all. It maintains its composure and strength throughout all complex passages. Im listening to heavy metal such as rhapsody and some brahms pieces and it just sounds beautiful to me.

Also the ld2 sounds more narrow in sound, but this can be its intimate presentation. Wheras the tha336 has air everywhere and is exceptionally wide. So far im saying pretty positive things about the tha336 amp and you guys might be wondering if there are any negatives. Well yes, this might be consider a negative to some folks, but i dont mind. Actually, i kinda like it. With the tha336 being an all tube amp and point to point wiring, its timing may be a little slower compared to your dynamic amps.

This is one good thing about the ld2 is that it doesnt sound like your typical tube amp, it sounds more like a hybrid blending your tube sweetness with your dynamic quickness and detail. The tha336 leans more on the tube side and it should be considering it is a tube amp. So naturally, it is going to sound a little slower and maybe not incredibly detailed as your dynahi dynamic amps. All in all, i can really listen to this amp on endless. Its a great addition to my setup and i highly recommend it if you can get one.

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
I just changed out my cheap rca fiber optic cable for a glass fiber optic one in my zhaolu and it is sounding pretty good. I guess the zhaolu is a little picky with digital cables. The tiny bit of brightness that was exhibited before the new digital cable is gone now. The more i listen to the tha336 the more and more i am digging the sound. Switching back from the little dot 2 to the tha336 is very noticiable. The little dot 2 sounded more bright on complex passages and tends to get a little loss in the notes. The tha336 doesnt exhibit this at all. It maintains its composure and strength throughout all complex passages. Im listening to heavy metal such as rhapsody and some brahms pieces and it just sounds beautiful to me.

Also the ld2 sounds more narrow in sound, but this can be its intimate presentation. Wheras the tha336 has air everywhere and is exceptionally wide. So far im saying pretty positive things about the tha336 amp and you guys might be wondering if there are any negatives. Well yes, this might be consider a negative to some folks, but i dont mind. Actually, i kinda like it. With the tha336 being an all tube amp and point to point wiring, its timing may be a little slower compared to your dynamic amps.

This is one good thing about the ld2 is that it doesnt sound like your typical tube amp, it sounds more like a hybrid blending your tube sweetness with your dynamic quickness and detail. The tha336 leans more on the tube side and it should be considering it is a tube amp. So naturally, it is going to sound a little slower and maybe not incredibly detailed as your dynahi dynamic amps. All in all, i can really listen to this amp on endless. Its a great addition to my setup and i highly recommend it if you can get one.

arrrrghh
mad.gif
eggosmile.gif
Your making want to have this amp more and more!! Sounds great, hope you enjoy your new amp.

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 19
Just a few more pictures of my tube amp. Boy, im loving this thing with an RCA 6AS7g and Hytron brown based 5692. Its an amazing combo.

amp18sy.jpg

amp20yy.jpg

amp35op.jpg

May 25, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 19
How is the darkvoice driving the K340's in your pic?
tongue.gif

May 25, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
How is the darkvoice driving the K340's in your pic?
tongue.gif

It drives them beautifully. There is much gain in this amp. I never go pass 9-10am on the volume and this thing maxxes out at around 6pm. The best thing about this amp is the tube combinations that is possible with the amp. It changes the sound subtlely every time i swich different tubes out and i just pick the tube combo that suits my taste for the k340. I have a modded k340 and a stock k340 and i can definately say there is a huge difference between the two. Whether i like one over the other, that depends on the day. They are really two different beasts when unmodded and modded. But either modded or not, the tha336 drives both at the same level and both sound great. Honestly, i dont think you could get a better tube amp in this price range. It exceeds my expectations and if i had to pay more than what i paid for it now, i definately would, probably 3 times its price range. Its really that good. There are 3 others on the board who share my views, you should check out some of their opinions.

May 25, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
does anyone know where to get this amp? Thanks

Im not sure if the ebay seller is selling these anymore. Fitz bought the last darkvoice sold from him on ebay. You can try contacting the ebay seller. His handle is orpheansound.

May 25, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 19
I love the 300B style tube. Nice.

May 26, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back