Darkvoice just released 332
Mar 29, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #1,186 of 1,892
Mar 30, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #1,189 of 1,892
The 403B is a better quality version of the 403A - it also has a lower operating voltage and a longer life-span. Haven't tried the 403As, but the 403Bs are one of my favorite tubes, though they're definately not for the bass-heads amongst us.

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #1,190 of 1,892
I've only tried the Western Electric brand of 403A & 403B and only one pair of the 403B. They are both favorites and very close in presentation. They are a touch clearer and harder edged than M8100's. I think I prefer one of my sets of 403A's the most, but it's close to a toss up. My favorites, of what I've heard, are WE403A/B & Mullard M8100.

So far, I would say that all of the non-commie tubes were close in sound, very little difference. I'd list them from clearest to most liquid as:
WE403A
WE403B
Sylvania green label
GE
Mullard M8100
RCA

Soviet tubes are punchier and less precise, they don't really fit in the line up above. Still worth trying but not a favorite.

The chinese tubes are junk, as everyone knows. They make the music sound crunchy, like the vocalist is eating crackers.

I'd really like to hear sylvania gold pins, but I'm not paying the prices I've seen lately. If they are at the top of the list, they most likely aren't ahead by much. The differences in good tubes are so slight it could be imagination.

I find tube rolling posts good entertainment. As people try more tubes, I'd like to hear their opinions and comparisons.

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #1,191 of 1,892
I find the WE 403Bs leaner with better clarity then other pentodes of that class. I'm running a pair of RAYTHEON CK5654s at the moment and, like the M8100s, they sound rather "bloated" in comparison: this is not to say thay sound bad - far from it - but the sound is definately fuller, warmer, more euphonic.

Bass performance, however, is the 403Bs Achilles heel - it's very light. But I'm not a "bass-head" so it's not a problem. The clarity makes me forgive them everything.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #1,192 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I just saw that they have some Mullards for $4.75/tube at:

Antique Electronic Supply

They are listed as: "5654/6AK5W - PENTODE, SHARP CUTOFF, RF, MULLARD LABELED CV4010." The picture of the tube has "Mullard M8100" on it. You could call/email them to find out more.

I just got received 4 of these in the mail from tubesandmore. They are labelled Mullard M8100. Looks like a good deal to me. They also packaged each tube with a plastic holder for the pins. I've just fired them up, but upon turning on the amp, there was bright glow at the base of each of the M8100's that faded very quickly. Is this normal for the M8100? The amp seems to be working fine though.

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #1,194 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, this can happen - especially in a old tube that's hasn't been powered up in a while. It's totally normal.
biggrin.gif

Cool. I wish it would happen every time I turn the amp on then.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #1,195 of 1,892
Question for everyone...

I had some ground loop hum which I noticed in the past few days. I installed a cheater plug (3-to-2 converter) and it totally solved the problem. Is it okay to use one of these on a permanent basis, or does the amp really need to be grounded (which would mean I need to pursue another option to solve the ground loop hum)?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #1,196 of 1,892
Had the same thing happen to me, Jellojoe. I fitted a pair of THRONIX 6GV8s into my DV FIGARO, switched it on and nothing.
frown.gif
Then suddenly fireworks: the tube glowed REALLY brightly and then dimmed to normal levels. PHEW!!!

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #1,197 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had the same thing happen to me, Jellojoe. I fitted a pair of THRONIX 6GV8s into my DV FIGARO, switched it on and nothing.
frown.gif
Then suddenly fireworks: the tube glowed REALLY brightly and then dimmed to normal levels. PHEW!!!

It happened again today. I turned it on in the dark so it was even more impressive this time.

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #1,198 of 1,892
Update: The Svetlana 6S19P-B(V)'s add oodles of sound stage and are more juicy than the stock 'big' tubes. They sacrifice a tiny bit of the stock bass boost in favor of a more flat response, and sacrifice detail/precision for a more euphonic and lively sound which I like better.
I think I can hear the hint of more potential which I'd like to explore with the new small 'tubes' coming. (right now I'm still using the chinese 'small' tubes)

Oh I saw that really bright glowing tube, but it happened when I turned my DV332 off
confused.gif
hmmm
For the first 8 hours I heard humming through the headphones, now I get the occasional pop sound thru headphones, I think it's the tubes burning in, it seems like a progression.
Update2: the tubes aren't making any noise after 18 hours of burn-in, and no more bright tubes either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back