Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Feb 2, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #406 of 909
My experience with Jasmine aka Darkvoice shipper was exceptional! The item shipped in a timely manner and was at my door in about 6 days. The stock 337 is an amazing amp! It is dual mono with two volume pots (really helpful) and has an incredible amount of headroom and power (and the tubes are downright cheap compared to the ridiculous prices NOS fetches these days). I completely agree with SkyLab's assessment of the best tubes (RCA JAN 6AS7G/TungSol 5998 for power and JAN Phillips 6SJ7WGT for drivers). Aside from the annoying "buzzing" of the drivers - took 24-48 hours for mine to completely become quiet) I have no complaints about this amp. If it happens to develop problems, I have a handy Stereo Service (who specializes in vacuum tube equipment - I know because my Cary 300SEI was in "twice" for repair while I owned it). The 337 is much better to my ears than any other head amp I've owned (and I've had a few). It meets my very simply method of upgrading - do I still think about of an upgrade after living with the piece for awhile? If not, then I'm done! I think this amp represents an incredible value and I would have never found out about if not for this forum - thanks to all!

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #407 of 909
Good to know. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is HIGHLY debatable that Singlepower is more reliable on delivery or repair than Darkvoice. Do a search. WooAudio, on the other hand, has an excellent reputation, so this would be a good way to go if this sort of thing is a huge concern.

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #408 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is HIGHLY debatable that Singlepower is more reliable on delivery or repair than Darkvoice. Do a search. WooAudio, on the other hand, has an excellent reputation, so this would be a good way to go if this sort of thing is a huge concern.

I hadn't read many posts about SP being unreliable - but... I haven't read many of those threads, because I've considered them a bit overpriced relative to their performance vs others... and... the fact that I refuse to spend more than about a $1000 for any component - just for 5%+ better SQ. Although, I have seen several that suggested they may be a bit slow to respond - which I guess is to be expected, given the demand relative to the size of their shop.

Do you think its possible or probable that a buyer could get a new DV337 without any damage to it?

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #409 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by daleda@sbcglobal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...If it happens to develop problems, I have a handy Stereo Service (who specializes in vacuum tube equipment - I know because my Cary 300SEI was in "twice" for repair while I owned it).

Where and what service would that be? We might all benefit from knowing.

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #410 of 909
I have read threads in which people sent in Singlepower amps to get repaired and waited a VERY long time to get them. I have a Singlepower amp, and love it, but I bought it here in the FS forums.

I got my DV 337 through Jasmine as well, who is great to work with. It arrived with a very small amount of cosmetic damage due to the tube cage being loose. But it really isn't noticeable. The amp itself works very well. I am listening to it as I type this - yummy
smily_headphones1.gif

I slightly prefer the Singlepower Extreme to the DV337, but the Extreme is quite a bit more expensive.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #413 of 909
No matter what, I think it's important to mention that Darkvoice is a Chinese company selling mainly to Chinese/Asian countries. We're sort of "on the fringe" here ordering a Chinese market amp (the 337, not the 336 which had 110V version specifically made) from China.

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #414 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by daleda@sbcglobal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go - tech's name is Mike (a true wizard with anything tubes) right here in River City (Austin, Texas).

Austin Stereo Service & Repair, Vintage Hi-Fi, Vintage Stereo, Vacuum Tubes

Probably a lot less costly than returning it to China... and less risky... with the lengthy return shipment.

Thanks...

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #415 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy the amp in China yourself and ship it back to yourself in the US.

That would be fine... except... I don't get to Hong Kong that often... and the cost of the trip... would make the amp way to expensive. But... I'll keep that in mind for my next trip.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #416 of 909
I will almost certainly get to Hong Kong on business this year, and I plan to buy some tube headphone amp while I am there for sure!

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #417 of 909
Hi guys thinking of getting the RCA JAN 6AS7G and JAN Phillips 6SJ7WGT tubes that you guys had highly recommended for DV337,btw where i can purchase them from as i'm from Singapore can't find any here.pls help thks.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #418 of 909
Feb 9, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #420 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's too bad the Orphean Sound Lab that makes the Darkvoice line is located all the way in central China. If it were somewhere in the Pearl River Delta, you could go and buy a custom 337SE yourself!

Hi, I just got myself a K1000 over ebay. Seeing that you own a K1000 too, how well do u think the 337 drives it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back