Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Jan 15, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #361 of 909
Did you guys look at your owner's manual (mine is in all Chinese) but the picture in mine shows a guy working on a 337 upside down and listening thru
(what looks to me like) Senn 600-650's! He looks very blissed out! Maybe I should post over in the Headphone forum (and see what gets stirred up)! Also, get a load of those "HUGE" caps hooked into the circuitry!

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #362 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by daleda@sbcglobal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you guys look at your owner's manual (mine is in all Chinese) but the picture in mine shows a guy working on a 337 upside down and listening thru (what looks to me like) Senn 600-650's!

Wait, what? Is the guy upside down or is the amp?

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #364 of 909
so the left side of my dv 337 decided to blow today while I was sleeping and letting it burn in

I emailed jasmine about it, but I was wondering if there was anything I could easily replace like fuses or the like. I looked through mazuki's pics but found nothing. I fanyone has any input that'd be greatly appreciated.

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #365 of 909
So when you say blow, what happens when you turn it on? Nothing? Does it produce even a hum via the headphones?

I assume you tried another set of tubes? The most likely scenario is that the tubes went bad. If you don't have a spare set I cal sell you a set of the stock chinese tubes ULTRA cheap for testing - send me an email.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #366 of 909
I plugged in NOS Jan 6080 and 6SJ7WGT in just yesterday, as I just got back to school

When I turn the unit on, there's nothing, not even the led lights up. there's that signature hum in the right side though haha but then again it's working correctly...

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #367 of 909
Ouch - if the light doesn't even light, that is BAD. Probably have to go back for service...

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #368 of 909
It looks like there are fuses in the lower portion of the IEC PC connectors - did you check those? Other than that, it sounds like a resistor blew. An easy fix if you have a repair service in your area who understands valve based designs.
Hopefully, it is just a fuse.

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #369 of 909
Dang, that really bites! Sorry to hear that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plugged in NOS Jan 6080 and 6SJ7WGT in just yesterday, as I just got back to school

When I turn the unit on, there's nothing, not even the led lights up. there's that signature hum in the right side though haha but then again it's working correctly...

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #370 of 909
thanks for the heads up on the fuses daleda, I'm going to waltz my way into the labs somehow to get the right stuff to look at it

I'm sad because it sounded REALLY good with the tubes I'm using...well i guess I can listen to right side only until jasmine responds hahaha

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #371 of 909
actually I'm even sadder because I'm holding a pair of rca 6as7G's haha

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #372 of 909
Here is a picture of the inside of mine - comparing to previous one - seems to have added a more stable metal support for those huge caps and also a little better rubber insulation on the power switches - other than that seems the same. Sure is some good workmanship and PTP wiring.

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #373 of 909
Quote:

Here is a picture of the inside of mine - comparing to previous one - seems to have added a more stable metal support for those huge caps and also a little better rubber insulation on the power switches - other than that seems the same. Sure is some good workmanship and PTP wiring.
Attached Thumbnails

Yeah, that seems to be a newer batch where they started using more metal supports rather than zip ties.

I really do wish they'd stop using those green ceramic resistors that you see on both bottom corners. The aluminum heatsinked wirewounds used in the 337SE are magnitudes better, especially with heat dissipation.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #374 of 909
Ok, so the first thing you need is to get the pinouts for both the tubes. Here they are:

EF80

ef80.png

6SJ7

6sj7.png

The numbering on the pins are conveniently labelled already. Keep in mind this is the view from the bottom of the tube. You also need to be looking at the bottom of the sockets when soldering.

You can buy the octal base and noval socket from Welcome to TubeDepot.com!

After that, it's simply a matter of connecting the various pins to each other.

Here's the chart I used:

pin_conversion.png

Pin 1 and 3 are the same on the EF80 so you only need pin 3 connected.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #375 of 909
I just ordered some 5998's from Antique Electronic Supply (curious with lower impedance cans (my D5000's). Still waiting on my Sylvania Cryo 6SJ7WGT's from Brendon at Tubeworld - will report my findings. I'm starting to appreciate the "Special Reds" in he meantime - this amp continues to amaze me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back