Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Apr 22, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #16 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did this come out? I don't remember seeing any threads about a new Darkvoice.

EDIT: Just curious, but does the amp use a stepped attenuator? If not, then how do you keep the left and right sides equal, I imagine you could drive yourself crazy trying to get them to sound the same.

It's been out a while.

I imagine it would be quite a pain to match volumes if they're using the same kind as the 336 (a linear pot), since they have barely any movement between soft and loud, but with a pair of decent log taper pots (in a pair of 336is running dual mono) I had no trouble keeping the channels matched. Usually it only took me one or two fine adjustments after making any significant volume change.

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 909
Actually I don't think it is truly dual mono, since the output and input seems to have a shared ground. Wouldn't two Darkvoice 336s bridged together be a better (and cheaper?) solution?

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #19 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I don't think it is truly dual mono, since the output and input seems to have a shared ground. Wouldn't two Darkvoice 336s bridged together be a better (and cheaper?) solution?

The 337 uses a 6J8P (6SJ7) pentode instead of a 6N8P (6SN7) triode like the 336, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

May 16, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #21 of 909
Just to report back, I finally got the loctal to octal adapters working. The 7C7 tubes I bought (RCA, Tung-sol) both sound amazing, better than any 6SJ7 variant I've heard.

For those using 6SN7s for Darkvoice 336s, I would highly recommend trying some 7N7 loctals. If you need adapters, feel free to PM me.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #22 of 909
Based on my very early experience, I certainly agree with Mazuki's review. The Darkvoice 337 has impressed me a LOT so far. It's both powerful and yet detailed, and capable of great beauty and delicacy, while still being very dynamic, and having truly outstanding bass performance. I didn't use the stock tubes at all, put in JAN/RCA 6AS7G's for the power tubes and JAN/Phillips 6SJ7's for the preamp tubes. While the 6SJ7's needed a few hours to stop buzzing, they did, and with this tube complement the 337 sounds terrific. I'm HIGHLY impressed so far. More later.

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #24 of 909
I will for sure, looking forward to trying them.

In the meantime, I spent a good amount of time listening to the 337 today while watching football. It sounds WONDERFUL. It's not as impressive cosmetically as I thought it was going to be, but I don't care - it sounds TERRIFIC. So very engaging sounding. It's not overly romantic at all - has a wonderfully clear midrange, just a touch lush of neutral, but it's not a super-tubey sounding tube amp. And it has amazing bass power for a tube amp, and a refine, clean, extended treble. And the best soundstage of any amp I have ever owned, except maybe the Blue Circle SBH.

In short - the 337 is a terrific amp, and a tremendous bargain.

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #25 of 909
20070219488b171e602727ebf1.jpg

200702192e25326a535b8ebsu8.jpg

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #27 of 909
Well,
I have ordered a DV337 (curse you, head-fi :)

I have a friend who makes and designs mic preamps and other gear who is going to look into installing stepped attenuaters for an easier way to channel match the volume.

Obviously we would also be wanting to not degrade SQ and even improve it if possible.

I plan to live with the 337 stock (except tube changes) before trying out the stepped att. idea.

I'll post impressions.

Has anyone else tried this?

My DV is probably 2 weeks away since I am delaying shipment while out of town.

Looking forward to hearing it.

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #28 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will for sure, looking forward to trying them.

In the meantime, I spent a good amount of time listening to the 337 today while watching football. It sounds WONDERFUL. It's not as impressive cosmetically as I thought it was going to be, but I don't care - it sounds TERRIFIC. So very engaging sounding. It's not overly romantic at all - has a wonderfully clear midrange, just a touch lush of neutral, but it's not a super-tubey sounding tube amp. And it has amazing bass power for a tube amp, and a refine, clean, extended treble. And the best soundstage of any amp I have ever owned, except maybe the Blue Circle SBH.

In short - the 337 is a terrific amp, and a tremendous bargain.

when you say 'amazing bass' which cans are you using?

I can attest to the out-of-head feeling of DV amp; my 332 does the same thing. However, I don't think I am getting 'amazing bass' when compared to the Dynahi I use to have. Is 337 that much better than 332 wrt to bass? (I use K701)

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #29 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

uh..what is this 337SE? is this an upgrade to the 337?
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back