Darkvoice 336SE vs. Musical Fidelity X-Can V8
Nov 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scootermafia

MOT: Double Helix Cables
Well, I just learned about Darkvoice today, and they seem to have a pretty good rep around here despite being amongst a plethora of shady-looking ebay tube monstrosities.

The X-Can looks no bigger or badder than Darkvoice's Figaro, their baby-tube machine. However, MF has a hell of a good reputation and Stereophile gave the V8 a good review which is reassuring.

I have been looking at the 336 instead of the Figaro, as it seems to be a scaled down version of the most expensive Darkvoice models (which seem to be a mirror image, two 336's worth of parts in one).

Can anyone help advise me which way to go? The X-Can is twice the price.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just learned about Darkvoice today, and they seem to have a pretty good rep around here despite being amongst a plethora of shady-looking ebay tube monstrosities.

The X-Can looks no bigger or badder than Darkvoice's Figaro, their baby-tube machine. However, MF has a hell of a good reputation and Stereophile gave the V8 a good review which is reassuring.

I have been looking at the 336 instead of the Figaro, as it seems to be a scaled down version of the most expensive Darkvoice models (which seem to be a mirror image, two 336's worth of parts in one).

Can anyone help advise me which way to go? The X-Can is twice the price.

Here ya go...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/nee...can-v8-383983/

It all depends on what phones you're going to be using... as well as... your source.

Do not... get the X-CAN v8 if you're planning on driving high impedance phones, such as the Senns. You won't be pleased with it - that is... if... you like a very powerful, driving, up front sound.

On the other hand... few amps are any better than the v8 with the Denons... and... its pretty good with Grados and other low impedance phones.

Unless your budget is limited... I'd get the DV332, or DV337, before I'd invest in the lesser DV amps. They're much better.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 4
I agree with Gradofan. The X-CANS are better with lower impedance headphones and are OK with high impedances. With the latter, you'd be hard pushed to buy better amps than those made by DARKVOICE. I have a FIGARO, and it's a great entry level amp, driving the HD650s with authority. From what I can gather, the 336i is the most tube-like of DV's amps, but the 332 is better. If you can afford it, go for the 332, though it may be hard to find them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back