Darkvoice 336SE 220v vs 110v
Nov 16, 2008 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

dunski

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I won an auction on ebay for the Darkvoice 336SE and the posting clearly stated that the amp comes in two versions 110v and 220~240v:
2008 Darkvoice 336SE Headphone Tube Amplifier - eBay (item 360083887549 end time Nov-27-08 17:36:14 PST)

After winning the auction I messaged the seller to make sure they ship me the 110v black version. The seller replied that he will ship me a 220v version with a 220->110 transformer. Is that acceptable? Does the amp only come in the 220v version and people in the States have to use transformers? Or is there a 110v version? Is there any difference between a 220v version with a transformer and a 110v version?

Please let me know so I can get back to the seller.
Thank you!

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 55
No I mean a 220v to 110v transformer. Here is the exact message I got from the seller:
"I will send you one 220v version with one good 220v--110v transformer, it it is for you?"

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 55
If he's sending you a 220 Volt headphone amp, you will a step up transformer which will take your 110 volt household current and convert it to 220 volts needed for your amp. Personally I wouldn't purchase the amp in that configuration.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he's sending you a 220 Volt headphone amp, you will a step up transformer which will take your 110 volt household current and convert it to 220 volts needed for your amp. Personally I wouldn't purchase the amp in that configuration.

That's exactly what I thought. The auction clearly stated that the amp came in two versions, 110v and 220-240v. I emailed the seller and told him that I would like the 110v. Let's see what the response is...

BTW, how would a 'step up' transformer affect the performance of the amp?

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly what I thought. The auction clearly stated that the amp came in two versions, 110v and 220-240v. I emailed the seller and told him that I would like the 110v. Let's see what the response is...

BTW, how would a 'step up' transformer affect the performance of the amp?

First off I want to say hello fellow Long Islander!
I think more than anything it would affect the resale within the USA. If the transformer is quality and doesn't hum (which I doubt), it should be fine. My suggestion is steer away from this deal

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 55
I would suggest attempting to get a straight 110v model since the power supply on the darkvoice is built into the unit not in a separate wall wart as with some other models. If the step-down transformer is quality then there will be no hum but it is probably a cheap model and will add a decent amount of hum/hiss to the unit.

And go Long Island!
k701smile.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest attempting to get a straight 110v model since the power supply on the darkvoice is built into the unit not in a separate wall wart as with some other models. If the step-down transformer is quality then there will be no hum but it is probably a cheap model and will add a decent amount of hum/hiss to the unit.

And go Long Island!
k701smile.gif

You know it isn't going to be a quality transformer. WOW 3 Long Islanders in a row
smily_headphones1.gif
I worked in a Stereo Store In Hicksville back in 1980

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

You know it isn't going to be a quality transformer. WOW 3 Long Islanders in a row
smily_headphones1.gif
I worked in a Stereo Store In Hicksville back in 1980

Haha that is pretty crazy, I have lived here all my life so.

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha that is pretty crazy, I have lived here all my life so.

Same here. Grew up in Plainview, moved to Huntington in 84. Do you remember Designatron's Stereo Store in Hicksville? It closed sometime in the 80's

Edit: I just checked your profile, you weren't even born yet LOL Makes me feel old!

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 55
Thanks guys. I emailed the seller back and requested the 110v version. We'll see what I get...

Off topic, but speaking about LI, atbglenn, do you know of any stores around here that carry high-end headphone stuff?

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. I emailed the seller back and requested the 110v version. We'll see what I get...

Off topic, but speaking about LI, atbglenn, do you know of any stores around here that carry high-end headphone stuff?

Unfortunately I don't. I have a friend who owns a high end stereo store in Manhasset, and he doesn't sell much in a way of any head gear.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Same here. Grew up in Plainview, moved to Huntington in 84. Do you remember Designatron's Stereo Store in Hicksville? It closed sometime in the 80's

Edit: I just checked your profile, you weren't even born yet LOL Makes me feel old!

I was gonna mention that but I didn't want you to feel old hehe.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 55
I ended up getting the 220V version of the Heed Canamp and run mine through a Voltage transformer. I imagine my experiences are transferable to other amps. In my experience, providing that the Voltage transformer provides sufficient power (mine is a 1000W version) there is no degradation of sound quality. In addition, while it does produce a very soft (but audible) hum, there is no way that you could possibly hear it while listening to music, and for what it's worth, my girlfriend can't tell that it's on.

However, there are several points against as have been mentioned:

First, it will reduce resale value as others will have to pick up a transformer to use it.

Second: it makes portability of any kind completely impossible. The voltage transformers are HEAVY.

Third: I find that it's pretty easy to kick the power plug out of the transformer so you have to put it somewhere out of the way.

Hope this helps! The bottom line is that if you get stuck with it, your sound quality shouldn't be reduced... but I wouldn't pay full price for one if you ordered a 110V version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back