Darkvoice 336i for 32 ohm phones?
Oct 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

canbus

Head-Fier
Hi.

I recently ordered a DV 336i amp for a set of senn hd650 phones. I've had the senns burning in with music / white noise etc for circa 5 days. I've been wearing my goldring dr 150's for about 15 minutes and now realise that I abolutely adore the dr 150's and want to spend my money on improving these phones and not the 650's. Will the 336i be an ok amp or will the impedance mis match cause any problems. I guess what Im asking is, will this amp drive my dr 150's well and not hissss etc?

Please engage brain before answering. I genuinely love these phones.

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Speaking from experience with the LD amps (which are a step below DV IMO) they drive 32 ohm Grados fine, but the gain setting must be at the lowest setting. In these amps, they control the inverse feedback. Less gain = more feedback resulting in an edgier sound. I'm not sure if the 336 has the option of changing gain to accommodate low-z cans. Someone will chime in I'm sure

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi sunseeker. What a nice user name. Very hopeful and warm.

The plot thickens im afraid. Im currently wearing the hd 650's and am impressed. But then I see the dr 150's laying on the floor next to my feet and think eh, I thought I was wearing the dr 150's? Im struggling to find a prefered set of phones. The hd650's seem 'smothered' at times, but then they can be more engaging. I really dont know.

I also think im too new to phones to make a judgement. But Imo there is not a million miles between the hd650's and goldring dr 150's (in the sense of engagement/enjoyability). Im actually stumped.

Thank you for helping this newbie out. It is appreciated.

eta. Just put back on the dr 150's. They seem a tad brighter, but not a nasty in your face brightness. They sound cleaner than the 650's as well. Closer to the band sounds about right.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 11
Its no problem!

Well, the HD650 of course have the reputation as the better can, but it all comes down to personal preference. The Goldrings look nice for the money and I may buy a pair for fun.

Are these cans broken-in? If not, they will both probably change a good deal after about 150 hours.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 11
I can not speak for the DV336, as I have not heard the amp, but I think the RS-1's sound good with the DV332, if that is of any help.

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 11
For a fun set of cans try the Grado 125s, you'll never go back to the Senns

*flame vest on*

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 11
I guess its all subjective- if you prefer the 125's so be it. Who is qualified to tell you otherwise? I have a set of sr 80's and DO like them. Problem is I wear phones all day and the lack of comfort does not help things. I thought Grados where 'quite pricey'. The sr 80's cost me £110 / $178.656 USD (It was way more $ before the 'credit crunch''). Hd 650's cost circa £180. I was not blown away with the build quality of the grados either. This observation was not aided after one of the transducers fell off after a few hours use...

Sorry for sounding grumpy.

Well Im still stumped. When the lights are out & im relaxing, the senns float my boat. I think thats the answer to the question that I could not clearly define. I think it all depends on mood, requirement etc . Perhaps,, there is not one 'ultimate phone' for personal use. Just a collection of phones to pick and choose from depending upon mood and requirement? Is that a million miles away from the truth?

I guess its nice to drink coke sometimes, but other times tap water or milk are just as nice.

5/6 days burn in time on the senns.

Thank you.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 11
I use my DV336i with my Grado SR325's all the time. They sound great. If the Grado's are clamping too tightly on your head, bend the headband. If you don't like the new setting, you can always bend it back.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffyElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a fun set of cans try the Grado 125s, you'll never go back to the Senns

*flame vest on*

I do not know about that, but agree the 125's are fun.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks guys. Im not looking for an argument or wanting to tread on anyones toes. Im just peeved at buying expensive kit that does not blow my socks off. I've spent a few thousand $ on headphones, sources etc and yet there is nothing deeply profound at the end of this expenditure. If I where rich man I would not care. But im broke and every $ counts.

I'll try the allesandro ms 1 's. I believe these are circa £50 and reckoned to sound like the sr 125's? If they dont fall apart, I'll try other grado phones. Please bear in mind that the UK pricing strategy is 'different' to the US one. Im not 100% sure on that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back