Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #7,111 of 14,501
top 10 3/4 x 6 "
front 2 1/8 x 5 7/8 "

Thanks, I now have a DarkVoice, at the time I was not sure of the delivery schedule and it arrived early.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #7,112 of 14,501
OOC, what are the two black things the heater wire is attached to in that above pic?

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #7,113 of 14,501
Resistors

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #7,114 of 14,501
Bill has finally slayed that hum problem with his DV...

Capture.JPG

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #7,115 of 14,501
C5250D8B-1F44-43BB-A09C-33909DD5A8AC.jpeg

Tung-Sol 6J5G VT-94A

I saw that our fellow member @SHIMACM recently got these guys in and ironically mine also arrived yesterday. I do already own a pair of the GT straight tube version but I just couldn’t pass these up. I must be a addict collector because I am legit happy to finally have acquired them. Not only are they pretty rare nowadays but NOS condition VT-94A condition has taken me about a year to find. PM me if you want and I will contact the supplier. He said he has more and we can try to workout a bulk buy.

It had been awhile since I turned on the DV and I wanted to give these a listen last night. I have found a sweet combination (tubes, headphones, pads, etc). I ended up listening for a couple of hours, I just couldn't put the beyers down. I think everyone should own a pair of these as they will likely work for your setup. They match up very well with the TS 5998. It's a wonderful full accurate neutral sound that probably makes the signal sound close to what they had in mind at the studio, it's very balanced and articulate. I like that even with the 5998, the low end is fully present and not recessed, thick and detailed, yet not clinical. The instruments still sound very natural and lifelike, all of the tube warmth is present here. I was also reminded by how far my DV has came, the sound still surprises me after taking a brief hiatus. (My amp has some Riken resistors (thanks to @bcowen), the rest are Vishay and Mills, the output caps have also been replaced with Vishay's @ 80uF). I am looking forward to removing the fitz mod and trying out the new modifications. We are currently going through a move so projects are on hold. I also have to figure out which parts to order for the next mods.

67386CAB-5CAD-44B7-BA9D-97E83E6E285A.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #7,116 of 14,501
Tung-Sol 6J5G VT-94A

I saw that our fellow member @SHIMACM recently got these guys in and ironically mine also arrived yesterday. I do already own a pair of the GT straight tube version but I just couldn’t pass these up. I must be a addict collector because I am legit happy to finally have acquired them. Not only are they pretty rare nowadays but NOS condition VT-94A condition has taken me about a year to find. PM me if you want and I will contact the supplier. He said he has more and we can try to workout a bulk buy.

It had been awhile since I turned on the DV and I wanted to give these a listen last night. I have found a sweet combination (tubes, headphones, pads, etc). I ended up listening for a couple of hours, I just couldn't put the beyers down. I think everyone should own a pair of these as they will likely work for your setup. They match up very well with the TS 5998. It's a wonderful full accurate neutral sound that probably makes the signal sound close to what they had in mind at the studio, it's very balanced and articulate. I like that even with the 5998, the low end is fully present and not recessed, thick and detailed, yet not clinical. The instruments still sound very natural and lifelike, all of the tube warmth is present here. I was also reminded by how far my DV has came, the sound still surprises me after taking a brief hiatus. (My amp has some Riken resistors (thanks to @bcowen), the rest are Vishay and Mills, the output caps have also been replaced with Vishay's @ 80uF). I am looking forward to removing the fitz mod and trying out the new modifications. We are currently going through a move so projects are on hold. I also have to figure out which parts to order for the next mods.

Boy, you get some really good tubes.

Would you mind telling PM how much you paid for them?

As you said, the supplier has more of them.

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #7,117 of 14,501
Oh and I have a preference for soldering to the IEC lugs.

Oh good grief. You probably solder your shoelaces together every morning. :stuck_out_tongue:

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #7,118 of 14,501
does the coca bottle version sound better than the straight bottle version?

Mine haven't arrived yet.

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #7,119 of 14,501
OOC, what are the two black things the heater wire is attached to in that above pic?

Those are the dropping resistors to get your heater voltage down to 6.3v (or close). Part of the mods that @L0rdGwyn has posted about. If yours is like most everyone else's that has chimed in on it you're probably getting around 7 volts, maybe higher.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #7,120 of 14,501
Bill has finally slayed that hum problem with his DV...

Capture.JPG
Man, the cocaine in TX has really degraded if it looks like that these days. :sweat_smile:

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #7,121 of 14,501
Tung-Sol 6J5G VT-94A

Was wondering where you'd run off to. :laughing: Hope the move is going OK?

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #7,122 of 14,501
does the coca bottle version sound better than the straight bottle version?

Mine haven't arrived yet.
I’ll compare them to the straight bottles tonight and let you know. But it’s definitely a very similar sound. But from memory if I had to say.. I’m leaning towards the 6J5Gs being a little more impressive but I cannot say without putting the GTs in back to back.
Man, the cocaine in TX has really degraded if it looks like that these days. :sweat_smile:
And here I thought it got better towards the border.
Was wondering where you'd run off to. :laughing: Hope the move is going OK?
Yes, moving to south Denver in March, upgrading to about 2.5x sq footage and I will have a small garage.

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #7,123 of 14,501
Oh good grief. You probably solder your shoelaces together every morning. :stuck_out_tongue:
Shoes can have laces???? I generally wear Crocs or cowboy boots or sandals. Usually I have two cats wrap themselves around my feet in the morning and I wear them as house slippers.

Seriously though, I like a more solid connection but what do I know, your experience is probably far greater. :ksc75smile: Design an amp and send it to me to critique.

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #7,124 of 14,501
NGL cats as shoes sounds comfy as all hell.

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #7,125 of 14,501
I soldered my crimped wire terminals to the IEC socket lugs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back