Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jan 4, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #5,821 of 14,501
Jan 4, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #5,822 of 14,501
Scored a pair of Tung Sol 5998 for 150$
Screenshot_20210104-133554.png

Sweet! That's a great deal for a pair. Hope they're in tip-top shape -- they certainly look nice.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #5,823 of 14,501
Sweet! That's a great deal for a pair. Hope they're in tip-top shape -- they certainly look nice.
Yeah, that's a crazy good price for two. I paid $180 for my single 5998. Worth it though.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #5,824 of 14,501
I just ordered a couple of those and an adapter. There’s too much to buy and test and play with in this hobby.

The one good thing about this particular rabbit hole is that it's plenty big enough for more residents. We get together and play Bingo every night at 7:00, just in case you missed that during orientation. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :laughing: :grin:

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #5,825 of 14,501
The one good thing about this particular rabbit hole is that it's plenty big enough for more residents. We get together and play Bingo every night at 7:00, just in case you missed that during orientation. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :laughing: :grin:
As long as I'm in bed by 8 so I can watch Matlock.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #5,826 of 14,501
Jan 4, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #5,827 of 14,501
@DeweyCH Pretty much this, and any three of us would be happy to do it for ya if your not able..
Hey, uh... this offer still on the table? I tried and failed.

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #5,828 of 14,501
Jan 4, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #5,829 of 14,501
I want to hear if offers any improvements over the alps. I’ve heard very good things about them and that they sound as good as the goldpoint it copies. I’ve read that the Noble pot from England is an upgrade from the Alps but it costs a good amount more. Many have said that they think this stepped attenuator bests the Noble. Most attenuators won’t fit in the DV.
FYI I received the stepped attenuator you linked earlier this weekend. May or may not try installing it at some point; wanna do a power switch first and maybe then dick around with yet another volume controller. Should be way, way, way easier this time around (knocks on head). Arrived with the volume knob - same seller.

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #5,830 of 14,501
Jan 4, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #5,831 of 14,501

This switch is switching your AC power. The power from your AC outlet flows through this switch and then to the amp's transformer. So what's important here is the AC voltage rating and the AC current (amp) rating. My DV has "Use 1 amp fuse" silkscreened on the chassis, yet a 3 amp fuse is installed (and the spare fuse is also 3 amp). Don't know if the 3 amp fuse was installed/supplied by mistake, or whether something changed in the design making the 3 amp fuse necessary and they just didn't change the silkscreening on the amp chassis.

So you need to look for a switch that is rated for 120 volts AC (or more), and if it were me I'd be looking for a switch that was rated for 4 amps AC (or more). If an internal fault develops in the amp, you want that fuse to blow before you exceed what the switch is rated for. The one you linked has different voltage values available, but doesn't specify whether that's AC or DC voltage, and shows a 3 amp rating, but again doesn't specify whether that is AC or DC. When it comes to a power switch, my advice is to get a quality switch that is UL and/or CE listed (preferably both) with a 120v (or higher) and 4 amp (or higher) AC rating. This is not something to try and save a few bucks on IMO, as an underrated switch can lead to some serious problems.

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #5,832 of 14,501
This switch is switching your AC power. The power from your AC outlet flows through this switch and then to the amp's transformer. So what's important here is the AC voltage rating and the AC current (amp) rating. My DV has "Use 1 amp fuse" silkscreened on the chassis, yet a 3 amp fuse is installed (and the spare fuse is also 3 amp). Don't know if the 3 amp fuse was installed/supplied by mistake, or whether something changed in the design making the 3 amp fuse necessary and they just didn't change the silkscreening on the amp chassis.

So you need to look for a switch that is rated for 120 volts AC (or more), and if it were me I'd be looking for a switch that was rated for 4 amps AC (or more). If an internal fault develops in the amp, you want that fuse to blow before you exceed what the switch is rated for. The one you linked has different voltage values available, but doesn't specify whether that's AC or DC voltage, and shows a 3 amp rating, but again doesn't specify whether that is AC or DC. When it comes to a power switch, my advice is to get a quality switch that is UL and/or CE listed (preferably both) with a 120v (or higher) and 4 amp (or higher) AC rating. This is not something to try and save a few bucks on IMO, as an underrated switch can lead to some serious problems.
Voltage-wise, more than 120 is OK? There seems to be more options at the 125 VAC level on Mouser, at least.

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #5,833 of 14,501
Also can I just go for a SPST?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back