Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Dec 22, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #5,431 of 14,501
The label is cool. Gives it character for sure.
Super Silvertone 6L5g are the Beez Kneez.. Cats MEow... Bow wow wow.. Yippe yo yippe yay....good.. (more detailed than my RCA 6L5g, not as bloated or as thick as them, still rolling TS7236 to keep with the comparisons) I am wearing my widest headphones (Fidelio X2).. so that could be part of it, and having said that...wow these are spacious sounding tubes.. very nice. I'm gonna drop the Zenith behind them after a few tracks..
2020-12-22 18.28.49.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #5,432 of 14,501
Super Silvertone 6L5g are the Beez Kneez.. Cats MEow... Bow wow wow.. Yippe yo yippe yay....good.. I'm a happy camper (more detailed than my RCA 6L5g, not as bloated or as thick as them, still rolling TS7236 to keep with the comparisons) I am wearing my widest headphones (Fidelio X2).. so that could be part of it, and having said that...wow these are spacious sounding tubes.. very nice. I'm gonna drop the Zenith behind them after a few tracks..

I hear alot of good things about the zenith variants so let us know how that goes.

I felt the same when I got my 6c5 rca pairs/raytheon pairs. The raytheon 6c5s were a few steps better than its rca counterpart in terms of detail/clarity, but without sacrifice to a solid/controlled bass. Nothing against RCA, its still nice to listen to, but it doesn't stand out in any particular area either in my opinion.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #5,433 of 14,501
Ordered a 6sn7-6f8g adapter and a couple 6f8g tubes - old rca to see if it likes playing with my rca power tube and a Raytheon one. What’s the improvement brought by a one-to-two tube adapter?

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #5,434 of 14,501
I hear alot of good things about the zenith variants so let us know how that goes.

I felt the same when I got my 6c5 rca pairs/raytheon pairs. The raytheon 6c5s were a few steps better than its rca counterpart in terms of detail/clarity, but without sacrifice to a solid/controlled bass. Nothing against RCA, its still nice to listen to, but it doesn't stand out in any particular area either in my opinion.
https://tidal.com/browse/track/85652759
1608693411863.png

I wasn't expecting much from these 6L5, so got a little excited there.. I'm rolling the Zenith 6j5..and, I'm thinking in a blind test.. I can't tell which one is which. And that's a good thing. :) gonna roll the Silver Surfers one more time before retiring this evening.
2020-12-22 14.33.11-2.jpg
Same tone with both only the Silver extends a touch further, (gain difference?) and some instruments jump out (differentiate/separation/spaced out) a bit more. I don't know.. I'm gonna have to roll these two again over coffee tomorrow morning. #firstworldproblems

EDIT: My ears seem to work better with two cups of black coffee, and I rolled these two tubes with the beyerdynamics (vs the Fidelio X2 from last night).. I can't tell a difference between the two, both probably Sylvania made tubes. I have a suspicion the RCA will sound great/better with the Beyers. Which goes to show/prove that synergy is everything, even with headphones. I will add, the Silvertone with the X2, are special.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #5,435 of 14,501
Ordered a 6sn7-6f8g adapter and a couple 6f8g tubes - old rca to see if it likes playing with my rca power tube and a Raytheon one. What’s the improvement brought by a one-to-two tube adapter?
Are you asking about the duel 6j5 adapters your seeing here lately??

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #5,436 of 14,501
So, I bought a 92mmx14mm fan to mount on the bottom rear vents.. it will blow downwards, which will draw air in from the circular side vents to create some kind of airflow. I think it's worth it for the caps longevity..

1608707672687.png

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #5,437 of 14,501
So, I bought a 92mmx14mm fan to mount on the bottom rear vents.. it will blow downwards, which will draw air in from the circular side vents to create some kind of airflow. I think it's worth it for the caps longevity..

Insane.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #5,438 of 14,501
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #5,439 of 14,501
Maybe you could control the air flow more by helping the side vents by chaining your fans (or buying them prewired) in a single row and mount them on both sides of the DV, much like the concept of this:

FQG28RGI03OBH5M2.png

Or better yet find a way to incorporate this:

FQG28RGI03OBH5M.png

LOL. At least this is what we used to do PCs back in the day before the nifty-ness of liquid cooling.

your-insanity-level-is-over-9000.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #5,440 of 14,501
How do they sound?

Rolling with Raytheon 6J5 Metal Cans 1957-13th week (March) with a Sylvania GB-6080 power tube.

My only comparison which I have been listening to for the past month is the Philco 6J5 Metal Cans. The biggest take away of these Raytheons is that they are more a mid-forward tube (as compared to the Philco's 6J5 Metal*possible Sylvania) The mids/vocals shine a bit more here - definitely more emphasized with these tubes. Nice overall dynamics and the sustain/decay of notes are very organic sounding -- meaning that hi-hat cymbals, guitar plucking is detailed and natural. The crashing and twanging sounds are where they should be! The upper registers are non-fatiguing and there is good separation and details. One simple test I always put it though is listening to Foo Fighters - Everlong - which has alot going on across the gamut. When turned up really loud, the guitar distortion work can sound sound grating really fast. But in this case, it remains cohesive and clear to really high volume levels and never gets fatiguing, yet can also pick out the background details concurrently (nice layering) - the subtle drum and cymbal work that still cuts through the front and center guitar work. Same with listening to Joe Bonnamassa (Blues Deluxe) - Pack It Up song. Guitar and drum work is a pleasure to hear with these tubes as it shines and has great detail. Bass is hefty/punchy but controlled. It does not lack in this area whatsoever. Another enjoyable pair of tubes.

This morning's test list:
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Joe Bonnamassa - Pack It Up
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watch Tower
Tom Petty - Free Falling
Audioslave - Jewel of the Summertime
Lupe Fiasco - Hip-Hop Saved My Life
Powerman 5000 - Danger is Go
Nine Inch Nails - Sanctified
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Ozomatli - Eva
Everything but the Girl - Missing
10000 Maniacs (MTV Unplugged) - These are days
Drowning Pool - Bodies
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Snow
Wyclef Jean- Kiss the sky (accoustic)
Rush - La Villa Strangiato
Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No 5
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (Classical Guitar)

Is this a characteristic of Raytheon's house sound? If so, it is quickly becoming a favorite. I'm sure other tubes (maybe the shouldered glass types might be better and given a better sense of soundstage or details, etc), but the kicker....My total tube cost is around 10 dollars for the pair and is a very great bang for your buck that does so much right. Easily recommended if you come across them.

raytheon_metal_6j5.jpg

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #5,442 of 14,501
Rolling with Raytheon 6J5 Metal Cans 1957-13th week (March) with a Sylvania GB-6080 power tube.

My only comparison which I have been listening to for the past month is the Philco 6J5 Metal Cans. The biggest take away of these Raytheons is that they are more a mid-forward tube (as compared to the Philco's 6J5 Metal*possible Sylvania) The mids/vocals shine a bit more here - definitely more emphasized with these tubes. Nice overall dynamics and the sustain/decay of notes are very organic sounding -- meaning that hi-hat cymbals, guitar plucking is detailed and natural. The crashing and twanging sounds are where they should be! The upper registers are non-fatiguing and there is good separation and details. One simple test I always put it though is listening to Foo Fighters - Everlong - which has alot going on across the gamut. When turned up really loud, the guitar distortion work can sound sound grating really fast. But in this case, it remains cohesive and clear to really high volume levels and never gets fatiguing, yet can also pick out the background details concurrently (nice layering) - the subtle drum and cymbal work that still cuts through the front and center guitar work. Same with listening to Joe Bonnamassa (Blues Deluxe) - Pack It Up song. Guitar and drum work is a pleasure to hear with these tubes as it shines and has great detail. Bass is hefty/punchy but controlled. It does not lack in this area whatsoever. Another enjoyable pair of tubes.

This morning's test list:
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Joe Bonnamassa - Pack It Up
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watch Tower
Tom Petty - Free Falling
Audioslave - Jewel of the Summertime
Lupe Fiasco - Hip-Hop Saved My Life
Powerman 5000 - Danger is Go
Nine Inch Nails - Sanctified
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Ozomatli - Eva
Everything but the Girl - Missing
10000 Maniacs (MTV Unplugged) - These are days
Drowning Pool - Bodies
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Snow
Wyclef Jean- Kiss the sky (accoustic)
Rush - La Villa Strangiato
Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No 5
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (Classical Guitar)

Is this a characteristic of Raytheon's house sound? If so, it is quickly becoming a favorite. I'm sure other tubes (maybe the shouldered glass types might be better and given a better sense of soundstage or details, etc), but the kicker....My total tube cost is around 10 dollars for the pair and is a very great bang for your buck that does so much right. Easily recommended if you come across them.

raytheon_metal_6j5.jpg
Mid forward tube sounds about right for the Raytheons. Seems like you really like these I'll have to keep an eye out for a pair. Nice write up, thanks.

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #5,443 of 14,501
Most of us here (thanks too @bcowen ) have jumped on the 6J5 bandwagon for the HUGE sound that comes out of these little known cost efficient tubes. For a tenth of the price of the Holy Grail triple digit 6SN7 tubes... you get the same, (some would argue surpassed) sonics. Just this week @Slade01 and I received tubes under or at $10 that we both are astounded on the output of these tubes. With the one 6J5 adapter that we grabbed from @Deyan we're able to roll 6J5, 6C5, L63, and 6L5 tubes. @therremans has an impressive collection of these tubes. I keep saying I'm getting rid of my 6sn7 tubes..I'm very close to that..

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #5,444 of 14,501

That's gonna look so sick...with LED lighting please!!!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #5,445 of 14,501
That's gonna look so sick...with LED lighting please!!!
haha, no LEDs but it is a high quality fan by Noctua. The thinnest one I could find - link, I have 23mm of clearance on the bottom below the amp with my silicone feet.. so it can't use the standard 25mm depth fan. I considered side fans at first but then changed my mind and liked the simple idea of one single fan pulling air down and out. I didn't want to have to drill out more vent holes for 40mm side fans.. and the amp would have looked pretty damn strange.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back