Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jul 31, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,237 of 14,501
Jul 31, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #2,238 of 14,501
I only tried my Raytheon 6SN7GT for a few minutes, so take my comments about it with a grain of salt. What I immediately noticed was how this tube emphasized the vocal range, i.e. vocal-centric, and was a bit dry-sounding (almost clinical) compared to the more lush Sylvania's and '40s RCA gray-glass. Unfortunately, I also noticed how the soundstage on the Raytheon wasn't as wide as the Sylvania's and RCA's. Still, the Raytheons are a decent choice if you are looking for vocal-centric tubes. For myself, I tend to reach for the more lush sounding Sylvania and RCA gray-glass tubes, as clinical-sounding tubes tend to approach the sound achieved by decent solidstate amps, and I have a decent SS amp for that kind of sound, :wink:
i JUST a aND b THESE TWO AGAIN this evening and I would say your spot on here (this with an RCA 6AS7G), wondering if the military type (WGT) of these two would be the same or just different animals altogether.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #2,239 of 14,501
Check out this bidding... These are collection status bulbs, Sylvania. Too rich for my blood, I threw in a bid but that got overtaken quick! :D
Fun to watch if you like geeking out over stuff like this,
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183896678905
I saw this too. Definitely too rich for me also. But its impressive nonetheless.
Lol, yeah I saw it up a few days ago and thought about bidding but then wised up. :D

IMO, the 6SN7GTB was a throwaway since they can be had fairly cheaply. The 6SN7 Reference Guide had reviews of that 6SN7WGTA that weren't exactly effusive with praise (e.g. "dry sounding" was the common refrain). That leaves the VT-231 metal base, which looks like a 6SN7W despite the 6SN7GT identifier (6SN7W is notorious for being short-lived, see reference guide). Anywho, the tube that interested me the most in that collection was the VT-231, but I already have two black base VT-231's in my collection and, frankly, the price has shot up well above what I'm willing to spend on tubes.

Aug 1, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #2,240 of 14,501
Lol, yeah I saw it up a few days ago and thought about bidding but then wised up. :D

IMO, the 6SN7GTB was a throwaway since they can be had fairly cheaply. The 6SN7 Reference Guide had reviews of that 6SN7WGTA that weren't exactly effusive with praise (e.g. "dry sounding" was the common refrain). That leaves the VT-231 metal base, which looks like a 6SN7W despite the 6SN7GT identifier (6SN7W is notorious for being short-lived, see reference guide). Anywho, the tube that interested me the most in that collection was the VT-231, but I already have two black base VT-231's in my collection and, frankly, the price has shot up well above what I'm willing to spend on tubes.

So are the VT-231s significantly steps up above average tubes? Is it worth the price these days in your opinion?

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #2,242 of 14,501
So are the VT-231s significantl

Yeah the Slyvania WGTA has a mixed bag of reviews, thinking it's dependent on year they were made. And to answer SLADEs question, VT-231 are nice to have as collection items, bragging rights sort of, some consumer versions sound just the same for a lot less like the Grey Glass RCA for example, this from reading on what's said on the forums here. If I had the monies ( or I was single) :D I'd be all over the vintage tubes (and we're just talking drivers here, add the CV2523 MARCONI OSRAM TUBE to the mix of power tubes $$$. Go's endless almost.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #2,243 of 14,501
Tung Sol 6SN7GTB Tall (w Sylvania 7236) My weekend roll...

IMG_20190801_175733.jpg

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #2,245 of 14,501
My Friday afternoon rolling opinions.

Decided to re-listen to some of my lesser used 6SN7 tubes and took notes on them. All of these were tested with the Tung-Sol 7236 on my DarkVoice 336SE

Tracks listened to: Amy Winehouse - back in black, Stevie Nicks - Gold Dust Woman, The Eagles - Victim of Love, Massive Attack - Angel, BauHaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead, Live, The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again, Cream - Crossroads Live, Golden Brown - The Stranglers.

Ken-Rad JAN-CKR-6SN7GT VT-231 Soggy, indistinct bass, really quite bad; midrange ok, treble rolled off. Very disappointed
with this tube, given its reputation. Maybe I have a bad one, but it doesn't show well here.

Sylvania 6SN7W Better than the VT-231, bass far more articulate and tight, as well as deeper and more controlled. Beautiful
midrange and female vocals (Amy Winehouse back in black, Stevie Nicks Gold Dust Woman) treble nice and smooth.

RAYTHEON 6SN7GT 2 HOLE Black Plate, surprisingly good; bass is solid, seems like a tad recessed vocals and smaller sound-stage.
Treble, sibilance, cymbals are VERY nice; smooth yet crisp; maybe my favorite treble/top end of all the tubes? Particularly lovely playing The Stranglers Golden Brown; warm, smooth, gorgeous.

Wow.. Philips JAN 6SN7WGTA still the best, and by a pretty wide margin; not even close. On Massive Attack's Angel, the bass
is deep, controlled, coherent. The difference between this tube, and let's say the KEN-RAD VT-231s bass is massive. The mid-range
is smooth, controlled, tight, great with Amy Winehouse back in black, Stevie Nicks Gold Dust Woman. The treble is lovely and
crisp, yet smooth. There are details resolved by the pairing of this with the Tung-Sol 7236 that don't exist, or are barely
perceptible with the other tubes paired with the 7236.

p3540739280-6.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #2,246 of 14,501

Decided to re-listen to some of my lesser used 6SN7 tubes and took notes on them. All of these were tested with the Tung-Sol 7236 on my DarkVoice 336SE

Tracks listened to: Amy Winehouse - back in black, Stevie Nicks - Gold Dust Woman, The Eagles - Victim of Love, Massive Attack - Angel, BauHaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead, Live, The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again, Cream - Crossroads Live, Golden Brown - The Stranglers.

Ken-Rad JAN-CKR-6SN7GT VT-231 Soggy, indistinct bass, really quite bad; midrange ok, treble rolled off. Very disappointed
with this tube, given its reputation. Maybe I have a bad one, but it doesn't show well here.

Sylvania 6SN7W Better than the VT-231, bass far more articulate and tight, as well as deeper and more controlled. Beautiful
midrange and female vocals (Amy Winehouse back in black, Stevie Nicks Gold Dust Woman) treble nice and smooth.

RAYTHEON 6SN7GT 2 HOLE Black Plate, surprisingly good; bass is solid, seems like a tad recessed vocals and smaller sound-stage.
Treble, sibilance, cymbals are VERY nice; smooth yet crisp; maybe my favorite treble/top end of all the tubes? Particularly lovely playing The Stranglers Golden Brown; warm, smooth, gorgeous.

Wow.. Philips JAN 6SN7WGTA still the best, and by a pretty wide margin; not even close. On Massive Attack's Angel, the bass
is deep, controlled, coherent. The difference between this tube, and let's say the KEN-RAD VT-231s bass is massive. The mid-range
is smooth, controlled, tight, great with Amy Winehouse back in black, Stevie Nicks Gold Dust Woman. The treble is lovely and
crisp, yet smooth. There are details resolved by the pairing of this with the Tung-Sol 7236 that don't exist, or are barely

p3540739280-6.jpg
Wow I'm surprised by the Kenrad with all the great reviews on it and that Raytheon looks like a SYLVANIA! Is it stamped 312 by chance? Happy to hear the Sylvania 6SN7W did so well for ya I was rooting for it before I read your comments :D Gonna hunt for a Philips 6SN7WGTA! Love reading about these hidden jems! Nice write up. (GREAT COLLECTION)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #2,247 of 14,501
Wow I'm surprised by the Kenrad with all the great reviews on it and that Raytheon looks like a SYLVANIA! Is it stamped 312 by chance? Happy to hear the Sylvania 6SN7W did so well for ya I was rooting for it before I read your comments :D Gonna hunt for a Philips 6SN7WGTA! Love reading about these hidden jems! Nice write up. (GREAT COLLECTION)

Equally surprised about the Ken Rad VT-231 - i mean i know the black glass type is the super hyped one and more proven, but im coming to believe from going through these forums that any VT-231 tubes should always be at least on par with the consumer grade equivalents, not worst. Thank you for that review!

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #2,248 of 14,501
Equally surprised about the Ken Rad VT-231 - i mean i know the black glass type is the super hyped one and more proven, but im coming to believe from going through these forums that any VT-231 tubes should always be at least on par with the consumer grade equivalents, not worst. Thank you for that review!
I wish I could remember where I read it but I read that the vt231 is not any different from the consumer version. The vt231 designation only means it's the military issue.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #2,249 of 14,501
I wish I could remember where I read it but I read that the vt231 is not any different from the consumer version. The vt231 designation only means it's the military issue.

You are absolutely right. Doing some digging, the designation only means it was military issue but same exact construction. I guess the audiofool in me is wanting to ascribe a little more magic to those kinds of tubes. But yeah, I mean most people rave about them so its hard to believe they could suck but anything is possible.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #2,250 of 14,501
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back