Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Mar 30, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #2,011 of 14,501
Mar 31, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #2,013 of 14,501
Just saw you have one of my most looked at headphones I'd love to have one day, are your Ether the closed version? And oh snap! You have the THX 789 Triple A amp.. NICE!

No sir, they are the open version I put based from a member here, then ordered the new pads and 1.1 tuning kit as they were originally the 1.0. I had my sights set on them for over 3 years as an end-game, but wasn't considering them at that price.. I am not the slightest bit disappointed in them!

Technically, yes! I was one of the lucky few on the last drop, still waiting for the arrival though! Then I can finally make full use of the Ether and LCD as both came with balanced cables, I have yet to use balanced at all. :)

Mar 31, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #2,014 of 14,501
Just won a bid I placed last week after reading on Massdrop, it's the GE 5998A. Anyone reading this have experience with it? Price was lower than most recommended tubes, kinda forgot about that bid but.. now it's incoming!

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #2,015 of 14,501
If you ever want to brighten your cans a little with some airy highs and clean cymbals. This. Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 (Sounds great w/ my Lowrider Oldies)
Just won a bid I placed last week after reading on Massdrop, it's the GE 5998A. Anyone reading this have experience with it? Price was lower than most recommended tubes, kinda forgot about that bid but.. now it's incoming!
Looks like a keeper!

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #2,017 of 14,501
Now Playing... :) Mullard/Philips 6080 & Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 ..
0401191715b.jpg
Nice dynamic range here, low frequency instruments hit with impact, great sound stage, rich vocals, transparent highs.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #2,018 of 14,501
IMG_20190401_202531.jpg

Trying out a new combo tonight.

Red print/gold base RCA 6080 and the mystery RCA 6NS7.

Not bad. I guess I'd classify this combination as "tight" but in a good way. Very controlled. Quick transients. But a little on the dry side.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #2,020 of 14,501
Hi, I got the 2 tubes and am just listening to music right now. There is a very noticeable hum from the speakers/phones when the amp is in use. is it something that will go away eventually or will it stay with the ge tubes forever ? Thank you much.
Ahh, the classic new hum.. It's a good sign your tube has never been used before. It will, or almost be gone after 48 hours of use. Don't want to sit through 48 hours of hum? Turn the amp off, let it cool down. Pull the 6AS7 tube out. (Leave the 6SN7 tube in!!) Turn the amp on. Don't touch or even look at it for 48 hours. After 48 hours (2 days) turn it off, let it cool down. Push the 6AS7 tube back in, turn the amp on, let it warm up for 15 minutes, plug in your headphones, play some good music....and viola...... Hum gone. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #2,021 of 14,501
Ahh, the classic new hum.. It's a good sign your tube has never been used before. It will, or almost be gone after 48 hours of use. Don't want to sit through 48 hours of hum? Turn the amp off, let it cool down. Pull the 6AS7 tube out. (Leave the 6SN7 tube in!!) Turn the amp on. Don't touch or even look at it for 48 hours. After 48 hours (2 days) turn it off, let it cool down. Push the 6AS7 tube back in, turn the amp on, let it warm up for 15 minutes, plug in your headphones, play some good music....and viola...... Hum gone. Good Luck!!
Thank you very much.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #2,022 of 14,501

Anybody know why this happens with 6SN7s in the DarkVoice? What happens to the tube after a day or two of being heated up? I’ve never heard of this being a problem in any other amp...

This method works, though, for most tubes. I had a Raytheon with very high hum, now after a couple of days cooking, it’s completely silent.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,023 of 14,501
Anybody know why this happens with 6SN7s in the DarkVoice? What happens to the tube after a day or two of being heated up? I’ve never heard of this being a problem in any other amp...

This method works, though, for most tubes. I had a Raytheon with very high hum, now after a couple of days cooking, it’s completely silent.
Its the cheaper parts underneath, that's the trade off for cheap chi fi, dont like it spend some money's on an upgrade. :) Or look into the Fitz Mod. Doesnt bother me personally as I've only dealt with hum on 3 occasions. 48 hours... Thats nothing, it was 3 months ago for me :D

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #2,024 of 14,501
Its the cheaper parts underneath, that's the trade off for cheap chi fi, dont like it spend some money's on an upgrade. :) Or look into the Fitz Mod. Doesnt bother me personally as I've only dealt with hum on 3 occasions. 48 hours... Thats nothing, it was 3 months ago for me :D

I get it! Doesn’t bother me either, and I’m good with the value proposition. But what’s exactly going on with the DV that causes tubes to hum? Something is obviously changing within the tube..

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #2,025 of 14,501
I get it! Doesn’t bother me either, and I’m good with the value proposition. But what’s exactly going on with the DV that causes tubes to hum? Something is obviously changing within the tube..
Not sure on the exact terms or parts involved, something to do with the filaments in the tube? And the cheap caps inside the unit itself, towards the beginning of this thread, pages of info on it. Gonna do some research tonight on it. Good question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back