Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Mar 13, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,936 of 14,501
The rolling part is fine - I don't particularly like tying up my amp for 48 hours to get rid of hum. My other headphone rig doesn't require the run in so rolling is quick.
Got it, yeah, the Darkvoice has its limitations. Thinking LaFigaro or Feliks Audio as my next tubed amp. Woo Audio is tips as well.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,937 of 14,501
I agree that there are pros and cons to most any rig - especially at DV336 prices. I have no regrets about the purchase of this amp, I think it is one of the greatest audio bargains out there. I use my 336 in a 2nd (office) system and, for the couple of years that I have owned it, the amp has far exceeded my expectations.

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #1,938 of 14,501
Raytheon 12AT7WA, EDITED: The Raytheon 12AT7WA will play on your Drakvoice but just read from a user that it might blow up your headphones? :D .. that it has a high Audio Frequency Gain? Roll @ your OWn Risk.
Too my ears....they sound awesome. Just dont turn the volume up.
0313191209.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #1,939 of 14,501
Got it, yeah, the Darkvoice has its limitations. Thinking LaFigaro or Feliks Audio as my next tubed amp. Woo Audio is tips as well.
La Figaro is a great amp :). Takes the same power tubes as DV too :L3000:

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #1,940 of 14,501
Hello all. Glad to be a part of this wonderful community. Thank you for adding me. I just got a dark voice amp and am rolling tubes for the first time. The stock ones sound pretty good to me. I got a RCA 6as7g and a tung sol 6sn7gt from ebay recently. My question is regarding the tung sol. It does not light up at all and is just mildly warm to the touch. However the amp does work when it is in it. I am a relative newbie to tubes, but don't they have to glow for them to be working ? If the tung sol was bad would the amp still work ? I just want to make sure that I didn't get ripped off.

Also, there is so much info on this thread that it really is overwhelming for someone like me. I would appreciate some advice on tube rolling. I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on tubes , but if any of you have any recommendations for me to try which are good 'bang for buck' kind of tubes and also sound good please feel free to recommend them. ( I listen to mostly jazz , some fusion , rock and blues with a little bit of folk ).

thank you again
Best
Gopal

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #1,941 of 14,501
Hello all. Glad to be a part of this wonderful community. Thank you for adding me. I just got a dark voice amp and am rolling tubes for the first time. The stock ones sound pretty good to me. I got a RCA 6as7g and a tung sol 6sn7gt from ebay recently. My question is regarding the tung sol. It does not light up at all and is just mildly warm to the touch. However the amp does work when it is in it. I am a relative newbie to tubes, but don't they have to glow for them to be working ? If the tung sol was bad would the amp still work ? I just want to make sure that I didn't get ripped off.

Also, there is so much info on this thread that it really is overwhelming for someone like me. I would appreciate some advice on tube rolling. I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on tubes , but if any of you have any recommendations for me to try which are good 'bang for buck' kind of tubes and also sound good please feel free to recommend them. ( I listen to mostly jazz , some fusion , rock and blues with a little bit of folk ).

thank you again
Best
Gopal
The preamp tubes do not get as hot as the 6AS7 tubes, so I think your good, Some of my preamp tubes hardly light up too, but like you said it plays well, and your off to a great start. If you read back just 20 pages or so you'll find a gang of info on certain tubes and how we think they sound. I joined the club about 6 months ago and have invested in way more tubes than I really need lol, its fun searching must have tubes. Some are bargains, others cost more than the Darkvoice itself! Happy searching and congrats!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,942 of 14,501
The preamp tubes do not get as hot as the 6AS7 tubes, so I think your good, Some of my preamp tubes hardly light up too, but like you said it plays well, and your off to a great start. If you read back just 20 pages or so you'll find a gang of info on certain tubes and how we think they sound. I joined the club about 6 months ago and have invested in way more tubes than I really need lol, its fun searching must have tubes. Some are bargains, others cost more than the Darkvoice itself! Happy searching and congrats!
Thank you very much for your reply. I am loving the amp so far and am very happy with the purchase. It is truly amazing.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #1,943 of 14,501
Revisiting my Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB again, (I get tubes, listen to them briefly, then pack them away for safe keeping) :D This was my first replacement tube for the stock 6SN7 that the Darkvoice shipped with. Grabbed her from TheTubeStore.com , and as reviewed by a buyer on their site, "it is rich and open sounding". A plus if you have a Sennheiser HD650 (or variant of one).
2019-03-18 18.10.58-1.jpg

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #1,944 of 14,501
Revisiting my Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB again, (I get tubes, listen to them briefly, then pack them away for safe keeping) :D This was my first replacement tube for the stock 6SN7 that the Darkvoice shipped with. Grabbed her from TheTubeStore.com , and as reviewed by a buyer on their site, "it is rich and open sounding". A plus if you have a Sennheiser HD650 (or variant of one).

Hi JKDJedi, I see that you have the hifiman 400i and Senn 6xx. I have both of those headphones as well. What do you think of them in comparison ? Which one do you prefer ?

Mar 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,947 of 14,501
Revisiting my Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB again,

JKDJedi:
Can you get your hands on a USA NOS Tall Bottle Tung-Sol 6SN7? Way better than those newer version Tung-Sol. Just checking.

Mar 19, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,948 of 14,501
JKDJedi:
Can you get your hands on a USA NOS Tall Bottle Tung-Sol 6SN7? Way better than those newer version Tung-Sol. Just checking.
I have a tall boy, dont know if it's a legit tall boy, I'll post a pic of it, but, it doesnt sound better. The tall boy I have has a narrow soundstage compared to the NEW Tung-Sol. And the NEW Tung-Sol is richer sounding. The New Tung-Sol sounds really good if you like Radiohead like I do.. I was stuck in my listening chair for a couple of hours really drawn in to the NEW tube. Top pic is NOS bottom pic is NEW.
0316191559.jpg 0218191610.jpg

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #1,950 of 14,501
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back