Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Feb 18, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #106 of 14,501
Hello,

I'm new here! I just received DV336SE two weeks ago. I listened to it a couple times with the chinese tubes. Very alive, but very, very harsh/sharp sounding.
So after two weeks I went to 'my technician', he has a whole stack of tubes, he doesn't know how many, all kind of types! First he got rid of most of all the standard crap resitors in the 336SE, and replaced them bij Allen Bradley's. And man what a difference makes that. Even with the standard tubes it sound very more relaxed, no sharpness anymore. A very cheap thing to do, and very quickly done!!
Then after that, tuberolling time!!!
tongue_smile.gif

The result is, that the best combi (that's so important!!, I think)for me, is 6SN7GTB Tungsol NOS black plates and the hammer 6080 WB Bendix!!!
This combi makes the 336SE a total winner, in my opinion.
The Bendix for me is by far the most beautiful sounding tube I heard in the 336SE, everything is there, and the power. Now it even drives my Ultrasone Edition 9 (30 ohm; the 336SE was not really designed for headphones below about 300 ohms, if you measure it!!) with pace and bassslamm, wow! I'm a very happy man!
bigsmile_face.gif

best regards
from the Netherlands, Europe

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #108 of 14,501
The Bendix 6080 is a nice tube. They've come down in price recently, too, although not sure how long that will last.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #109 of 14,501
Can anyone provide assistance in troubleshooting tube hum? I'm currently running the following setup:

Creative X-Fi Platinum (Bit-Matched playback) -> Beresford TC-7510 MKVI DAC -> Darkvoice THA336i (Raytheon 6SN7 and an RCA 6AS7) -> Senneheiser HD595 / Sennheiser HD650

I hear the humming with both pairs of headphones.
I do not hear the humming when I skip the amp and go straight to the Beresford DAC.

I have literally not altered my setup in the past year or so and had no issues until now. I'd assume one of the tubes is hitting the end of it's life but it's kinda hard to diagnose when you don't have backup tubes to swap.

Either way, it can't hurt to have some extra tubes laying around. Any recommendations for prog rock listening?

Thanks in advance everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #111 of 14,501
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have the 6SN7's cathode resistors been bypassed yet, or is the amp still stock?

Right - the "Fitz" mod is needed in the 336i to make it work with all varieties of 6SN7 without hum. Without this, some 6SN7's will hum. Some won't.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #112 of 14,501
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right - the "Fitz" mod is needed in the 336i to make it work with all varieties of 6SN7 without hum. Without this, some 6SN7's will hum. Some won't.

The underlying complaint however, being that it didn't hum for over a year, which is bothering me. I have no experience with a soldering iron unfortunately, looks like I've got some practicing to do if I want to retain this hobby.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #113 of 14,501
Hmmmm...I missed that - so the SAME EXACT TUBES didn't hum for over a year, and now do? In that case a new set of tubes might help. I have found that the 336 seems to like the 6SN7GTB more than GT's. Try an *original* (not re-issue) tall-bottle Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB. Sounds very good in my 336SE.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #114 of 14,501
I just swapped my RCA JAN 6AS7G with a Tung Sol 5998 1950s from tubeworld and the difference is huge (it was abit pricey but i was impatient
wink.gif
). Sound is much more open and airy. Much more detail. String instruments sound more like strings instead of thick rope being plucked.
The lower end of the sound spectrum always seemed abit murky with the RCA JAN 6AS7G. It only cost me 10$ and was better than the stock on the 336se.
The Tung Sol 5998 takes it to another level though.

I have a Sylvania 6SN7WGT on the way in the mail too so ill see how that compares to my Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB which i am very very happy with.

(i have never heard any other real hi-fi headphone setup than my own work in progress, so i am just really impressed where this is taking me!)

Friday night after a few drinks ill probably order the SAA Equinox. Most of my headphone impulse purchases happen then
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #115 of 14,501
please help a newbie out. I am confused with tubes on 336i. I have a few questions
1. What do you call the front tube, and the back tube?
2. Can I use these 2 tubes interchangeably?
3. If "no" to number 2, should I replace the larger back tube? Because I have seen a lot of recommendation for the smaller front tube, but no recommendation for the back tube?
4. I am using a Senn HD600. Please recommend me some good tubes in the range of $20-$30.

I am so confused now. Please help. Thanks so much.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #116 of 14,501
The front tube is a 6SN7 - typically they are 6SN7GT or 6SN7GTB, although there are other variants.

The Rear tube is the 6AS7, typically a 6AS7G. 6080 and 5998 are direct substitutes in this amp.

A good place to start is an RCA pair - an RCA 6SN7GTB and a 6AS7G. These are fairly easy to get and not too expensive.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #119 of 14,501
Right, you can use different brands no problem - I often do. Just need to use the right type of tube.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #120 of 14,501
My new front driver tube favourite is now Sylvania 6SN7WGT! Compared to the Tung Sol 6SN7-GTB tall bottle there is better separation of sounds, less "sparkly" sound signature. Not as bright. Everything seems more relaxed, and controlled at the same time.

This is with Sennheiser HD 650. Not sure how they are with other phones (the DT 770 have been gathering dust since i got the HD650).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back