Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Apr 29, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #10,081 of 14,501
Ooohhhh, them there are fightin' words. But I'll be magnanimous about it and try and remember which lead on a polarized electrolytic is positive. Kind of try, anyway.

If nothing else, I'll take a picture of it when it starts glowing Hoosier red when I first fire it up. :smile:
LOL there is a question of the schematic being right about one electrolytic, but hopefully you already know that. If backwards they generally just explode quickly, be safe and lay it in the case before firing it up. :ksc75smile:

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #10,082 of 14,501
That is right you own a 707 as I recall. Bill specializes in tube testers so I should let him have a go first. Indiana is not known for BBQ lol, we have um, limestone and maybe these.

1619731959199.png
In a strange sort of way, that actually looks pretty delicious. Maybe I'm just hungry. :smile:

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #10,083 of 14,501
In a strange sort of way, that actually looks pretty delicious. Maybe I'm just hungry. :smile:
It is one of the better parts of a pig, the tenderloin. In NC I believe they just cook the whole animal and hope for the best. Oh and add vinegar or some such. :ksc75smile:

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #10,084 of 14,501
The name has not been made official that I know of, but Folkvangr (or close) seems to be bandied about a lot. It's a pure tube headphone amp using eight 6N6P's and a pair of 6N1P's. Probably gonna be big (like in the largest Schiit chassis), and hot....these 6N6P's get plenty toasty while I've been testing them.
Gotcha. A Valhalla2 with serious roid-rage.
Or is Schiit trying to make Little-Dot knockoffs now.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #10,086 of 14,501
Apr 29, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #10,087 of 14,501
LOL there is a question of the schematic being right about one electrolytic, but hopefully you already know that. If backwards they generally just explode quickly, be safe and lay it in the case before firing it up. :ksc75smile:
One thing I've found with most of these (vintage) tubes testers is that the schematic cannot be relied on as far as component values. The circuit diagram is (usually) fine, but it seems they changed a lot of component values over time on the fly without ever updating the schematic or documenting the changes. I normally replace with the value that is printed on the cap rather than what the schematic may show. Fortunately the majority of the resistors are carbon comps with color bands, and the scheme on those bands hasn't changed in all these years. Usually it's a bad tube, cap (or caps), or a cracked resistor that cause most issues. It gets trickier if one of the selenium rectifiers has gone bad, especially if you can't read the part number. They can be replaced with a good old silicon diode, but also need a resistor in series to get the voltage drop back where it was with the selenium part. Figuring out that resistor value can be fun sometimes. The good part with the B&K's is there lots of room inside and stuff is easy to get to (compared to some of the Hickoks). The bad part is they use 4x - 5x the number of caps that the Hickoks do.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #10,088 of 14,501
Apr 29, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #10,089 of 14,501
One thing I've found with most of these (vintage) tubes testers is that the schematic cannot be relied on as far as component values. The circuit diagram is (usually) fine, but it seems they changed a lot of component values over time on the fly without ever updating the schematic or documenting the changes. I normally replace with the value that is printed on the cap rather than what the schematic may show. Fortunately the majority of the resistors are carbon comps with color bands, and the scheme on those bands hasn't changed in all these years. Usually it's a bad tube, cap (or caps), or a cracked resistor that cause most issues. It gets trickier if one of the selenium rectifiers has gone bad, especially if you can't read the part number. They can be replaced with a good old silicon diode, but also need a resistor in series to get the voltage drop back where it was with the selenium part. Figuring out that resistor value can be fun sometimes. The good part with the B&K's is there lots of room inside and stuff is easy to get to (compared to some of the Hickoks). The bad part is they use 4x - 5x the number of caps that the Hickoks do.
The tube failed on mine, a resistor was burned. The only function I lost was the shorts test. Everything looks shorted now. All other functions are fine as best I recall. There are a couple caps I replaced and I bagged up the old parts and the burned resistor.

Listening to Painting by Numbers by James McMurtry (his dad died not long ago, Larry McMurtry) this is a song I know well, his drummer gave me the CD years ago. The Melz from 1961 brings out new sounds. The beginning of Fanfare for the Common man is also amazing. This tube is a keeper, I love the sound and I am just running a Svetlana winged C as power tube. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #10,090 of 14,501
Gotcha. A Valhalla2 with serious roid-rage.
Or is Schiit trying to make Little-Dot knockoffs now.
I seriously doubt Schiit is even thinking about a knock-off. A Valhalla 2 with great big balls (that could drive lower impedance phones in an all-tube design) would be more my guess.

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #10,091 of 14,501
The tube failed on mine, a resistor was burned. The only function I lost was the shorts test. Everything looks shorted now. All other functions are fine as best I recall. There are a couple caps I replaced and I bagged up the old parts and the burned resistor.
Hope you remember where that resistor went. LOL!

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #10,092 of 14,501
Hope you remember where that resistor went. LOL!
I replaced it, as I did with the two caps I removed lol I just saved the old parts. :ksc75smile:

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #10,093 of 14,501
Apr 29, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #10,094 of 14,501
It is one of the better parts of a pig, the tenderloin. In NC I believe they just cook the whole animal and hope for the best. Oh and add vinegar or some such. :ksc75smile:
So that's what everybody that goes to the Indy 500 is talking about when the mention tenderloin sandwiches

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #10,095 of 14,501

Users who are viewing this thread

Back